Subject: I have found a DVD that I think you would enjoy
|Les Claypool - 5 Gallons of Diesel|
Actor: Les Claypool
Genres: Music Video & Concerts
Bassist Les Claypool wears many hats, literally and figuratively, in the course of 5 Gallons of Diesel, a comprehensive look at his many band and solo projects. Clocking in at well over three hours, including bonus materia... more »
Similarly Requested DVDs
What a great set for Les fans.
R. Forsman | NY | 10/15/2005
(5 out of 5 stars)
"It's about time they put out a DVD for Les Claypool's solo work. While I would've love an entire concert by any of his solo incarnations, it's nice to see a sampling of everything he's done. The dvd is very similar to the Animals Should Not Act Like People dvd. The quality of the live stuff varies, some of it is shot on home video, while others are high quality professional mixes. For example, a couple tracks from the Frog Brigade were taken straight from unused Bonnaroo footage. If you have seen the first Bonnaroo dvd then you know what you're in for. Of particular note on this set are the two Frog Brigade tracks from 10/9/00 and the two CCBBB tracks from 9/16/02. Both shows were supposedly taped to be released in entirety. While it would be great to get those shows.. it's nice to see a few tracks at least make an appearence here. This set isn't for everyone, but if you can appreciate Les' more eccentric catalog and not just for his work with Primus, then it's a great purchase. For the price you get a lot of material. I only wish more bands would release DVDs as rich as this one. Highly recommended.
Complete Track List:
1. Riddles Are Abound Tonight (video)
2. The Making Of Riddles
3. Prelude To Fear (live, The Fillmore, 10/15/94)
4. Hendershot (live, City Walk, 10/6/96)
5. Shadow Of A Man (live, Hollywood Paladium, 10/21/01, from HBO's Reverb taping, I was there!)
6. Here's To The Man (live, Great American Music Hall, 10/9/00, from Live Frogs: Set 1 taping)
7. Running The Gauntlet (live, Great American Music Hall, 10/9/00, from Live Frogs: Set 1 taping)
8. David Makalaster (live, Bonnaroo, 6/21/02, unused Bonnaroo 2002 DVD footage)
9. Long In The Tooth (live, Bonnaroo, 6/21/02, unused Bonnaroo 2002 DVD footage)
10. Whamola (live, Bonnaroo, 6/21/02, unused Bonnaroo 2002 DVD footage)
11. Granny's Little Yard Gnome (live, High Sierra, 7/6/03)
12. Ding Dang (live, Jam Cruise 3, 1/8/05)
13. Buzzards Of Green Hill (live, Jam Cruise, 1/8/05)
14. Opening Jam (live, Great American Music Hall, 9/16/02)
15. Encore Jam (live, Great American Music Hall, 9/16/02)
16. Tyranny Of The Hunt (live, Roxy Theater, 9/29/04)
17. Scott Taylor (live, Roxy Theater, 9/29/04)
18. Riddles Are Abound Tonight (live, Vic Theatre, 7/22/05)
19. The Awakening (live, Vic Theatre, 7/22/05)
20. 3 Guys Named Schmo (live, Bay Area Music Awards, 3/5/94)
21. Buzzards Of Green Hill (video)
22. The Making Of Buzzards
23. The Recording Of Buzzards
24. Fly Fishing The World 2004 Idaho
25. Fly Fishing The World 2005 Quebec"
Music is always better with costumes!
I. Peek | Newark, DE | 04/21/2006
(3 out of 5 stars)
"Les Claypool's 5 gallons of diesel gets mixed reactions from me. It is a great disk & I still recommend it, with some reservations.
First, the costumes and on-stage antics are reminiscent of Frank Zappa (Baby Snakes (DVD), for example). They are comical, and add to the incredible music that is made.
Some of the footage appears to have been shot from someone's digital camera or a security camera in the building. The footage and sound quality is quite bad in some performances, and makes me question the price I paid. The available amount of good material does outweigh the bad, though.
The bass fishing bits give an interesting human element to Claypool, however, they are much too long. The candid interviews speak much more about him than watching some guy bob a fly in a creek somewhere. Perhaps if they had decreased the number of "fishy takes the bait" routines, it would be more bearable. Longer videos of his recording sessions would have been much better.
Watching Claypool is entertaining, though, and inspires me to create, and get out the bass & practice.
Les Claypool is more than just a great bass player...
Alejandro Frisancho | Puerto Ordaz, Venezuela | 08/11/2006
(4 out of 5 stars)
"He is a multi talented artist with a great imagination, he has his own world and a great spirit for slap his bass. After so many years with funk rock or maybe alternative rock band primus now he is more experimented... always adding new sounds to his projects such as sax, marimba, sitar, funk keyboars, etc...I will always buy his new cds ... he is an only choice in his style !!!... Les keep your work ... I recommend you to start using some latin beats,... I wonder what would happened... This dvd shows all his side projects, It is a great souvenir of all what les involves... even fishing experience..."
4.5 stars really, great dvd for claypool fans
travis sweny | holland, ma usa | 04/25/2006
(4 out of 5 stars)
"this dvd is honestly one of the best i own, the jamming on all the frog brigade live tracks are out of controll, so much energy and the version of Buzzards of Greenhill off the jam cruise is the absolute greatest thing ive ever herd, i dont remember the guys name, but a special guest comes out and RIPS on the guitar for this song, honestly the biggest highlight of the entire dvd, i had to watch it again to let it set in for me, its honestly and overwhealming amount of great jamming on this dvd, the only disapointment for this dvd, is the lack of Oysterhead tracks, i love Oysterhead and i was pretty bummed out to see the only track of theirs on here is Shadow of a Man, a great song, but a little too eerie and slow for this dvd i think, all in all its a spectacular dvd, and worth the buy"