Subject: I have found a DVD that I think you would enjoy
|Lost The Complete Second Season |
Actors: Naveen Andrews, Matthew Fox, Jorge Garcia, Josh Holloway, Daniel Dae Kim
Genres: Television, Mystery & Suspense
Studio: Buena Vista Home Video Release Date: 06/16/2009 Run time: 1056 minutes
Similarly Requested DVDs
Member Movie Reviews
Diane B. from DAYTON, OH
Reviewed on 1/19/2010...
Season 2 only brought more questions and new survivors adding to the excitement of the show. As always, non-stop, edge of your seat action.
1 of 1 member(s) found this review helpful.
Blu-ray: Absolutely beautiful on Blu-ray! Awesome sound qua
Dennis A. Amith (kndy) | California | 06/16/2009
(5 out of 5 stars)
"After purchasing the DVD box set of season 2 when it was first released, having enjoyed the second season, I couldn't wait to watch the episodes again in High Definition!
Here is a brief summary of each episode with no spoilers:
* EPISODE 26: Man of Science, Man of Faith - A flashback of what has transpired inside the hatch. We learn that there is a computer that must be reset and if a code of numbers are not entered, it may cause problems on the island. Featuring a Jack flashback episode.
* EPISODE 27: Adrift - Sawyer and Michael survive the attack (from the season finale) and have drifted back to shore. But once they see Jin, Jin tries to warn them and the group are held captive by a group of people on the island. The episode features a Michael flashback episode.
* EPISODE 28: Orientation - Desmond introduces the survivors to the Dharma Initiative and a computer that must be reset. The episode features a John Locke flashback episode.
* EPISODE 29: Everybody Hates Hugo - Hurley is in charge of rationing the food in the hatch but has a problem of being in charge of the food. The episode features a Hurley flashback episode.
* EPISODE 30: ...And Found - Jin has lost her wedding ring and tries to find it. Meanwhile, Michael, Sawyer and Jin try to lead the other group of survivors back to their camp.
* EPISODE 31: Abandoned - Michael, Sawyer and Jin and the other survivors try to make it back to their camp but it appears The Others may have been waiting to abduct them. A Shannon flashback episode.
* EPISODE 32: The Other 48 Days - We learn about what has happened to the other survivors (from the tail-end) in their first 48 days on the island.
* EPISODE 33: Collision - Ana Lucia accidentally kills a major character. The tail-end survivors unite with the other survivors. An Ana Lucia flashback episode.
* EPISODE 34: What Kate Did - Jack tries to help Sawyer who is in desperate need of medical help. A Kate flashback episode and how she became a wanted criminal.
* EPISODE 35: The 23rd Psalm - Mr. Eko discovers Charlie's stash of Virgin Mary statues (stuffed with heroin) and immediately recognizes them. Charlie takes Eko to the airplane wreckage. A Eko flashback episode.
* EPISODE 36: The Hunting Party - Jack, Sawyer and Locke go after Michael who went off looking for his son. A Jack flashback episode.
* EPISODE 37: Fire and Water - Charlie has dreams that he must save Claire's baby. A Charlie flashback episode.
* EPISODE 38: The Long Con - Kate and Sawyer fear that Jack and Ana Lucia are forming an army. A Sawyer flashback episode.
* EPISODE 39: One of Them - Danielle has captured a man who maybe from "The Others". A Sayid flashback episode.
* EPISODE 40: Maternity Leave - Claire, Kate and Rousseau discover a new facility. A Claire flashback episode.
* EPISODE 41: The Whole Truth - Sun thinks she's pregnant, problem is...she doesn't know if it's Jin's baby. A Jin and Sun flashback episode.
* EPISODE 42: Lockdown - The prison Henry Gale tries to convince John Locke to not enter the code on the computer to see what happens. A John Locke flashback episode.
* EPISODE 43: Dave - Hurley is starting to see weird things in the jungle or is it his imagination. Meanwhile, Sayid and Ana Lucia interrogate Henry Gale. A Hurley flashback episode.
* EPISODE 44: S.O.S. - Bernard wants the camp to try and do things in order to send some signal in order for them to get rescued. A John Locke flashback episode.
* EPISODE 45: Two for the Road - Henry Gale escapes and two major characters are killed. An Ana Lucia flashback episode.
* EPISODE 46: ? - John Locke and Eko are at odds over the computer. John feels he should stop resetting the computer, but after a dream, Mr. Eko feels that he should continue to reset the computer. An Eko flashback episode.
* EPISODE 47: Three Minutes - A look at how Michael made it to the camp of "The Others" and why he did the things he did in order to rescue Walt. A Michael flashback episode.
* EPISODE 48: Live Together, Die Alone - The Season finale. John Locke and Desmond are at odds about not resetting the computer and Locke decides to do just that. Michael, Jack, Hurley, Kate and Sawyer are captured by the Others.
"LOST" Season 2 makes its first entry to Blu-ray and similar to both Season 3 and Season 4, the Blu-ray's allow for "SeasonPlay" that allows people to watch as they go and can stop, restart where they last left off. "SeasonPlay" is optional and people can select it before watching an episode.
VIDEO & AUDIO:
"LOST" is a series that looks incredible on High Definition. Featured in 1080p High Definition (aspect ratio of 1:78:1), the detail of the island is captured quite vibrantly. The green lush plants that surround the island, the blue skies, the blue ocean. Personally, most of the video footage shot in Hawaii tend to be vibrant in colors and "LOST" is no exception. There must have been a change with technical equipment for the second season because there is a quality difference from the first season and the second. You will notice that picture quality is more detailed, more vibrant and colors are just absolutely popping in the second season compared to the first. Skin tones and pores are much more evident and overall, picture quality is magnificent.
As for the audio, "LOST" is featured in DTS HD-Master Audio 5.1. The dialogue is quite clear but one thing that caught my attention is how magnificent the audio is in terms of capturing the ambiance of the island when each person is moving through the jungle. This season tends to have used more panning and audio directional to certain speaker channels much more evident than the first season. Also, sounds of the island and even thunderstorms come quite clear through the various speaker channels. Also, good use of surrounds and LFE. Overall, there appears to be more utilization of sound and how sound was used in the second season compared to the first.
Also, I loved how music and sounds really brought an overall mood to certain scenes. The music by Michael Giacchino and the way the orchestra creates that tension for the scenes was awesome. So, music plays a big part in the series and the music soundtrack is just wonderful!
The Blu-ray edition of "LOST - THE COMPLETE SEASON TWO" is featured in Standard Definition (480i) and English 5.1 Dolby Digital with English SDH, French and Spanish subtitles. Several discs are full of special features and Easter Eggs. Included are:
* Audio Commentary for "MAN OF SCIENCE, MAN OF EARTH" by Executive Producers Damon Lindelof, Carlton Cuse, Bryan Burk & Jack Bender.
* SNEAK PEEKS: LOST on ABC
* Audio Commentary for "WHAT KATE DID" by Director Paul Edwards, Director of Photography Michael Bonvillain and actress Evangeline Lilly
* Audio Commentary for "THE 23rd PSALM" by Executive Producers Damin Lindelof, Carlton Cuse and Bryan Burk
* Audio Commentary for "THE WHOLE TRUTH" by co-stars Yunjin Kim and Daniel Dae Kim and writers Elizabeth Sarnoff and Christina M. Kim
* Audio Commentary for "DAVE" by Director Jack Bender and co-stars Jorge Garcia and Cynthia Waltros
* PHASE I: OBSERVATION - This segment features a total of three segments. Included are:
- FIRE & WATER: ANATOMY OF AN EPISODE (31:46) Behind-the-scenes of the planning, writing and making of an episode. Interviews with the writers and how the flashbacks relate to their current situation of a character.
- LOST ON LOCATION: This section features several mini-special features with cast and crew discussing the making of certain scene in an episode. A total of 14 mini-features are included: Adrift, Everybody Hates Hugo, Abandoned, The Other 48 Days, Collision, What Kate Did, The 23rd Psalm, The Whole Truth, Dave, S.O.S., Two For the Road, Live Together, Die Alone and Canine Castaway. For example, "Canine Castaway" showcases the Labrador Madison who plays Vincent and how its her first series and interviews with her trainer and how tennis balls are used to make her move around.
- THE WORLD ACCORDING TO SAWYER: (4:31) The many names and catchphrases that Sawyer uses. Interview with the writers and various cast members about Sawyer's catchphrases.
* PHASE 2: CONDITIONING: This segment features four segments. Included are:
- THE LOST FLASHBACKS: This section three flashbacks that were not featured on the final cut of two episodes for "ABANDONED" - The Wake and The New Au Pair and "LOCKDOWN" - Locke's Father.
- DELETED SCENE: A total of 19 deleted scenes
- LOST BLOOPERS: (4:05) Various bloopers from the show
- CHANNEL 4 UK PROMO (Directed by David Lachapelle): (1:06) A very dark but very cool, stylish commercial for the promotion of "LOST" in the UK.
* PHASE 3: CONCLUSION - The following features three segments. Included are:
- LOST CONNECTIONS: An interactive segment that shows the many connections between the "LOST" characters.
- MYSTERIES, THEORIES AND CONSPIRACIES: (10:16) The many theories by fans and even the writers of "LOST" and how the series has a complex storyline and mythologies. How the writers enjoy the various hypothesis created by fans and are shocked by the how the fans have put so much time into establishing their own theories of an episode and the show.
- SECRETS FROM THE HATCH: (15:44) The creation of the hatch and shooting the scenes in the hatch/DHARMA station.
EASTER EGG: Scene with Sam Anders (Bernard) on tree: Select phase 1 and press up on the remote. You will see the dot marker move up towards the middle.
EASTER EGG: Dominic Monaghan (Charlie) telling a joke: Select phase 1 and press down on the remote. You will see the dot marker move up towards the middle.
EASTER EGG: Jorge Garcia (Hurley) talks about the sweat and if its real - Select phase 2 and press up on the remote. You will see the dot marker move up towards the middle.
EASTER EGG: Picture of artist Jack Bender - Select phase 2 and press down on the remot. You will see the dot marker move up towards the middle.
EASTER EGG: Josh Holloway (Sawyer) eating his Dharma cookies - Select phase 3 and press up on the remote. You will see the dot marker move up towards the middle.
EASTER EGG: Matthew Fox (Jack) nearly slips - Select phase 3 and press right on the remote. You will see the dot marker move up towards the middle.
The second season of "LOST" was excellent. The first season established that the survivors were not the only people on the island and that there were "Others" that didn't like them being there.
But I always believed that there had to be other survivors from the plane wreckage since the plane broke apart in three sections and sure enough, the second season addressed that and we were introduced to new characters. I know that for some viewers, adding additional characters when there were so many other characters that viewers were following already may be a bit overkill but for me, it was needed.
I felt that there was really good planning on how these characters were introduced but it did make me worry of how many major characters were being killed off in the series and I know for some people, they wondered if there was a correlation of them being killed off from the show due to their real life experiences of being busted for DUI.
Suffice to say that Michelle Rodriguez character of Ana Lucia had this love/hate relationship with fans because of her abrasiveness. But as a former police officer and the things that she has done in her real life, you can understand why she was the dominant survivor from the tail-end. I actually enjoyed every new character introduced and especially how the series sets the tone with the characters of Desmond and Ben Linus who play such a major factor on "LOST" in the next three seasons.
As for the original survivors, "LOST" really does play with one's emotions especially with the characters of Sayid and Hurley who have been put through major lows because of certain incidents. Charlie and Michael, who were fan favorites have become men who quickly grown infamous with their actions in the second season and the love triangle between Jack, Kate and Sawyer has been intensified. Especially the leadership between both Jack and Locke and putting these two characters at odds with each other.
Personally, I felt there was a tremendous amount of storyline and character development flashbacks that were just incredible to watch. Answers to lingering questions from the first season but also more questions added in the second season as well.
With the introduction of the DHARMA Initiative and the HANSO foundation, it definitely gave writers a chance to play with podcasts, commercial ads, Internet websites, online videos and even audio books to tease people about this mysterious group. And like many fans, even I found myself engrossed by following these various side stories and conspiracy theories.
"LOST - THE COMPLETE SECOND SEASON" was a fantastic season that kept many fans in their seats and just shocked by certain developments of the series including major character deaths. There was plenty of action of drama , action and its definitely interesting to watch this season once again and see how complex the planning went for this second season.
But I absolutely enjoyed "LOST" in its second season. Granted, I may be a "Lostie" and have a strong bias towards this series but I truly believe that this is one of the best drama series on television in the last decade and to watch and enjoy the series with improved picture and audio quality on Blu-ray is just fantastic!
"LOST - THE COMPLETE SECOND SEASON" is highly recommended!"
Looks awesome in blu-ray
Michael J. Penny | 10/01/2009
(5 out of 5 stars)
"I am already a devoted fan of Lost so I knew what I was getting into when I bought the second season. The picture and sound is crisp and clear. I love the season play feature which allows you to return to the same place on the disc even if you take the disc out of the player. I haven't watched any of the extras yet, and probably won't so I can't comment on that."
David E. Zuniga | CT USA | 09/12/2009
(5 out of 5 stars)
"Clear HD picture and sound, season play feature is awesome if you have all the seasons!!"