Subject: I have found a DVD that I think you would enjoy
|The Very Best of Cher - The Video Hits Collection|
Genres: Music Video & Concerts
Studio: Wea-des Moines Video Release Date: 06/22/2004
Similarly Requested DVDs
Good but could've been better.
Javier Lopez | Peru | 07/13/2004
(4 out of 5 stars)
"I was thrilled when I knew that a Cher video collection was coming out but I have to be honest that I was a little bit dissapointed because this production could've been much better. Some video hits are missing like her 70's #1 hit "DARK LADY" which had a funny video but instead of that track you can find "HALF-BREED" which has a boring video that just shows Cher seating on a horse, then "ALL OR NOTHING" that was another hit doesn't appear and you can find "MAIN MAN" which wasn't a hit. I also think that it could have at least special features as lyrics, photo gallery or Cher commenting about the videos (that would've been great).
But well not everything is bad here because you can enjoy several great videos such as "IF I COULD TURN BACK TIME", "I FOUND SOMEONE", "WE ALL SLEEP ALONE", "BELIEVE", "SAVE UP ALL YOUR TEARS" and "LOVE CAN BUILD A BRIDGE" (featuring Chrissie Hynde, Neneh Cherry and Eric clapton)."
P. Ambrose | Brooklyn NY | 06/19/2004
(5 out of 5 stars)
"Wow. There is a lot here (and a hell of a lot missing). The one thread that is predominant through the viewing is Cher & Rob Camiletti's incredible love story. I have never seen the video for "Main Man" - so that was a real treat. The Geffen videos show Ms. Cher at her "Cher-est" - she was so "on top" at that career point - I believe personally as well as professionally. You can almost sense it in her face; it is beautiful. I give the DVD 5 Stars because it's about time this material was commercially released; however - once again - the "Cher Camp" has released a product which is not up to par with the true artistry level of who Cher really is. This is a DVD for Cher's sake - where are the missing obvious videos ("Love & Understanding", "The Music's No Good Without You") - or the OTHER duets - "Piu Che Puoi" with Eros Ramazzotti, "Just Begin Again" with Spinal Tap (she recorded a duet side for when the toured), "Dead Ringer" with Meatload (c'mon that is a hoot) - hell, how about at least a promo clip of Cher and Sonny doing any one of their singles. Hey - there's footage of Cher and Gregg as well. And while we're at it - where is "Hell On Wheels"? One of the very first "music videos" ever produced - and it's actually great! How about that animated "Dark Lady" cartoon from the TV show? I could go on and on - this is the tip of a mountain named CHER. This is a very watchable DVD - she has always commanded the camera - Cher is truly the most amazing and fascinating female entertainer of our time."
A missed opportunity here
William | Australia | 09/20/2004
(2 out of 5 stars)
"Did Cher have a say in this compilation of her video hits? Obviously not, because what we have here is a skimming of the great lady's career, and with so many classics missing, how can the distributor dare call it "The Very Best of". There is room for more videos, so why didn't they go all the way? What we get is only 60 minutes of hit and misses with a hefty price tag.
Internationally, several of these videos are barely known outside America. The video list is as follows with my comments where needed:
1. Believe - HIT
2. If I Could Turn Back Time - HIT
3. Save Up All Your Tears- a minor hit from LOVE HURTS album. What we should have got is "Love and Understanding" which is the first and better hit single from that album.
4. Walking In Memphis - Internationally, this track is quite unknown, it would have been better to include an oldie such as "I Got You Babe".
5. One By One - Once again, this is a largely unknown song internationally.
6. Main Man- same comment as above.
7. I Found Someone- HIT.
8. Strong Enough- minor hit internationally.
9. Song For The Lonely - once again, this is a largely unknown song internationally.
10. Half Breed- HIT: good to see this included. More classics from this era would have made the collection definitive.
11.Heart of Stone - Probably my favourite Cher track. To me, having this on video makes up for the other disappointments on this DVD. GREAT SONG EVEN IF THE VIDEO VERSION IS REMIXED.
12. We All Sleep Alone - minor hit, dull video.
13. The Shoop Shoop Song- HIT. Another great video that is a blessing to have on here.
14. Dov'e L'Amore- once again, this is a largely unknown song internationally.
15. Love Can Build A Bridge- same comment as above.
There you have it. With so many songs that are internationally unknown, why didn't the distributor put together a more definitive look at this lady's career? Where are the videos for:
1. Love and Understanding
2. Jessie James
3. I Got You Babe
4. Love Hurts
5. Bang Bang
6. White lady
7. Gypsies, tramps and thieves
Without these videos, this DVD is one big disappointment that does not appeal to the international market. The only reason to consider buying it is because it contains the brilliant video for "Heart of Stone". Easily Cher's best song."
Javier Lopez | 08/03/2004
(5 out of 5 stars)
"I am a big fan of Cher's. Rather than buy this dvd, I saw most of the videos online, so I can describe what you'll see.
1. Believe- Cher parties at a futuristic club scene. This song was #1 worldwide and I think the video should be very high-ranked as well.
2. If I Could Turn Back Time- Cher performs for sailors on a navy battleship. MTV banned this video due to the outfit she wore in the video, and I, too, don't think it's good. The tour remix video is much more colorful.
3. Save Up All Your Tears- Cher lies in a bed of flowers, then performs surronded by flames. I would rank this 2 stars.
4. Walking In Memphis- A recap of the famous highlights of the life of Elvis Presley. Look again, however. Elvis is played by Cher. This video backed her up during the Believe tour, and it's awesome..
5. One By One (Junior's Radio Edit)- Clips of a couple not "getting along" with Cher in the background. I'm glad they chose the remix video rather than the original. I'm really not satisfied with the album version.
6. Main Man- Clips of Cher and Rob. Boring.
7. I Found Someone- More C&R Clips. More interesing than Main Main.
8. Strong Enough- A man creates a screensaver, in which Cher magically appears. Great song, great video!
9. Song For The Lonely (Almighty Radio Edit)- Cher backed up with a series of illusions. The original is more interesting, and has more scenes.
10. Half Breed- Cher is dressed as an Indian riding a donkey. Boring, as well.
11. The Shoop Shoop Song- Clips from "Mermaids" back up Cher and her co-stars dressed as Betty Everet. Cool!
12. Dov'e L'Amore- An Enrique vs. Camelot video. You actually hear a remix of the song rather than the album version. I'm glad they chose that.
13. Love Can Build A Bridge- Cher sings the Judds hit with Neneh Cherry, Chrissie Hynde, and Eric Clapton. The video is not that great."