Discussion Forums - Foreign Films

Topic: Bollywood (and beyond)

Club rule - Please, if you cannot be courteous and respectful, do not post in this forum.
Page:
ddh (Dan H.)

Subject: Bollywood (and beyond)
Date Posted: 12/23/2007 10:24 AM ET

I was chatting with Rebecca P. about Hindi cinema, and we wondered how many other fans of Indian movies are out there? I'm a very whitebread New Englander but I've been exploring Bollywood for the last few years and have become quite a fan of Saif Ali Khan, Aishwarya Rai, Tabu, and of course Shakrukh Khan (my avatar.) Some of my favorite films are Lagaan, Omkara, Main Hoon Na, and Devdas.

boo (Rebecca P.)

Date Posted: 12/24/2007 12:31 PM ET

Hey Dan!  Got to love those Bollywood movies.  I have to see if I can get some posted.

Are we the only two fans of Hindi movies here?  There have to be others!

chicorunsfunny (Sky B.)

Date Posted: 12/24/2007 1:53 PM ET

I have seen only two-those being The Wheel by Nonzee Nimibutr and Naina. I am certainly interested in branching out into others

Last Edited on: 12/24/07 11:24 PM EST - Total times edited: 1
ddh (Dan H.)

Date Posted: 12/26/2007 9:06 AM ET

I have seen only two-those being The Wheel by Nonzee Nimibutr and Naina. 

A Bollywood remake of The Eye? Fascinating! How was it?

Seems you like scary/suspenseful movies? I've only seen two Hindi horror films. Bhoot is a ghost movie with shades of The Exorcist. I didn't think it was very good. Darna Mana Hai is an anthology film, kind of like The Twilight Zone. Not very scary, but pretty good overall. You might also be interested in Ek Hasina Thi, a very entertaining thriller.

boo (Rebecca P.)

Date Posted: 12/26/2007 10:01 AM ET

If you like suspense, check out Darr, with SRK.  It's pretty good, it's also a remake but I can't think of the name of the original.  I'll think on it and add the original title later if I come up with it. 

Thanks for those titles, Dan, I'll have to check with my husband to see if he has any of those.  Or if his dad does.  :) 

chicorunsfunny (Sky B.)

Date Posted: 12/26/2007 4:38 PM ET

A Bollywood remake of The Eye? Fascinating! How was it?

I thought it was pretty spot-on with re-telling the original. The main actress put me off a little (in Naina) but I feel as though it rapped up better than its predecessor.

I've read a few things on Bhoot that peaked my interest. I will also certainly look into Ek Hasina Thi and Darr too.

ddh (Dan H.)

Date Posted: 12/27/2007 12:08 PM ET

Cool, I have added Darr and Naina to my Netflix queue.  Sky, Bhoot and Ek Hasina Thi both feature Urmila Matondkar from Naina, hope that's not a deal breaker.  ; )

My most recent Bollywatch was Karan Arjun, a very melodramatic revenge story. It was kind of cheesy, but quite entertaining. Check out the awesome ominous production number.

cgoldma (Carol G.)

Date Posted: 12/27/2007 9:44 PM ET

I have watched a few and enjoyed them.  There is a Bollywood remake of Pride & Prejudice called "Bride & Prejudice" that is pretty good with Aishwarya Rai in it. It also has Naveen Andrews in it.  It is done by the director of
"Bend it like Beckham" - which I also enjoyed. 

I have yet to watch "Bollywood Hollywood" which I got at the video store for $6 dollars as a used DVD.  I have heard that it is good and looking forward to watching it.

ddh (Dan H.)

Date Posted: 12/28/2007 2:10 PM ET

The funny thing about Bollywood/Hollywood is that it's Canadian.  : )

boo (Rebecca P.)

Date Posted: 12/28/2007 6:58 PM ET

Does anyone know anything about "The Namesake"?  It looks really interesting and we've been wanting to watch it.

Gina D.

Date Posted: 12/29/2007 10:17 AM ET

I've recently gotten into Bollywood after seeing Bride and Prejudice. Since then, I've ordered a few more of Aishwarya Rai's movies from Blockbuster.com. Straight From the Heart was good, as was Devdas.  Last one I saw was Kuch Naa Kaho, which was definitely heavy on the cheese, but sometimes I'm in a cheesy sort of mood. I also liked Monsoon Wedding a lot.

I'll have to check out some of the suggestions mentioned in this thread.

ddh (Dan H.)

Date Posted: 12/30/2007 12:33 PM ET

I have very mixed feelings about Hum Dil De Chuke Sanam. It's so conservative, and Salman Khan doesn't exaclty give an outstanding performance.  But the cinematography is great, and the soundtrack is awesome! I used to stream it almost every day from smashits.com before I finally broke down and bought it.

I had been avoiding any movie with Abhishek Bachchan because I hated Bluffmaster. But I have to admit he was good in Sarkar, so perhaps I'll check out Kuch Naa Kaho. I heard Guru and Bunty aur Babli are also worth a watch, anyone seen them?

Haven't seen The Namesake yet, but I've heard nothing but good things about it. With Tabu and Irrfan Khan, how bad could it be?

Last Edited on: 12/30/07 12:34 PM EST - Total times edited: 1
ROSELIN G.

Date Posted: 12/31/2007 12:45 PM ET

hi everyone

I'm so glad i found this thread!

I'm Indian and grew up watching  Bollywood movies (subtitles of course)

From  reading these post it seem  ya'll  are very familiar with 'mainstream'  or 'crossover' bollywood as it's called...These  movies are basically geared towards the foreign market and so it's veryyyyyy  westerenized and trendy...

I love 'real' indian movies  of the70/ 80/90s..to me those were the years .

I'm a

Kajol, Rani, Juhi, Meenakshi, Ravena , Karishma, Neelam, Sunny deol, Sanjay Dutt (pre gangster / underworld movies), Jackie Shroff, Mithun, Madhuri, Fan

Ash  and Abhishek movies together were really  good (off course you all know they got married  in April)

Anyways  if you all need  recommendations  just ask

**AND please post  some dvds (mines are all vhs)  i don't have any and was looking but nada!!!

Last Edited on: 12/31/07 12:56 PM EST - Total times edited: 2
ROSELIN G.

Date Posted: 12/31/2007 1:22 PM ET

Dan can i suggest SRK most  'classic' and  history making movie to you?

It was with his most successful  Co-star  Kajol

THe Movie is :

DILWALE DULHANIA LE JAYENGE (19950

(aka  the brave-hearted will take  the bride)

boo (Rebecca P.)

Date Posted: 12/31/2007 1:55 PM ET

Roselin,

My DH has Dilwale Dulhania Le Jayenge and I loved it.  His dad is from India (Mangalore area) and loves a lot of the older movies.  I'm going to see if I can start watching some of those if he'll recommend some.  It's great to go visit the in-laws because my FIL always cooks (oh, the house smells so good) and usually has old Hindi LPs playing.  :)  Thanks to my FIL we have a freezer full of pork curry and all sorts of other stuff. 

I'm just waiting on DH to tell me what he's willing to part with from his collection and I'll start getting some posted.  I'm not sure, but I think he may have some of the older ones, I'll have to check.

Becca

ROSELIN G.

Date Posted: 12/31/2007 7:45 PM ET

oHH WONDERFUL!   tell him to hurry !!!

Of course  what you wanna bet I'll have  no credits when you posts!!!  lol!

ahhh curry,...even though  i'm  NOT from India I do make curry on special occassion...and all the roti, dhals  etc :)

okay I'm getting a craving now....

So who's your fav indian Actor / Actress?...I could recommend  some of their better  movies  to you

Who know  you may already have it

I'm hoping to  get my hands on:

AAINA.................jackie shroff, juhi

DILLAGI............sunny deol, umilla

JAAL-the Trap...Sunny Deol

MUJHSE DOSTI KAROGE...Hrithik, Rani, Kareena

Last Edited on: 12/31/07 7:50 PM EST - Total times edited: 1
ddh (Dan H.)

Date Posted: 1/1/2008 12:44 PM ET

Dan can i suggest SRK most  'classic' and  history making movie to you?

Thanks, Roselin! I have seen Dilwale... That's another movie with a great soundtrack. I love "Ruk Ja" and that song about putting henna on the bride's hands...too lazy to look it up.  : )  SRK and Kajol are great together. I still need to see KANK and K3G.

I'm pretty good on recent stuff but terribly ignorant about older stuff. I'd love to hear your recommendations for movies from the early 90s and earlier. Especially the over-the-top masala movies. I've got a bunch of Amitabh Bachchan's 70s movies on my to-be-watched list - I loved Don, Sholay and Amar Akbar Anthony - and I put Karz on my queue after seeing Om Shanti Om. Any other suggestions? I could also use some Madhuri Dixit suggestions, I haven't seen any of her films other than Devdas.

BTW I am going to dig up my copy of Bhoot and list it in the Bazaar. I have a couple others to list, after I watch them myself.

boo (Rebecca P.)

Date Posted: 1/1/2008 1:19 PM ET

My DH just corrected me, his dad likes the movies from the 50's and 60's.  :)   And he just thought of a movie that he thought that y'all would like , but he can't think of the name right off.  We'll have to dig it out of the box (we've recently moved).  I've been showing him some of these posts, hoping it'll motivate him to give me the ones he'll let me post.  :)  Oh, he's digging!!  He's pulled out a few already.  Darr, Bombay, Kurukshetra.  I haven't seen Bombay or Kurukshetra yet, so they'll get posted after I watch them.  :)  I think for our next date night, I'll cook some curry and pooris and we'll watch one of them so I can get it posted!  LOL!!  I'll post Darr now, if anyone's interested.  Oh, here's the one he was thinking of:  Qayamat se Qayamat Tak.   Sort of a Hindi Romeo and Juliet.  I loved it, and the music is awesome.  Ok.  Off to post  a couple, and then once I watch some of the others, I'll post. 

boo (Rebecca P.)

Date Posted: 1/1/2008 1:36 PM ET

Qayamat Se Qayamat Tak wouldn't post.  I'm wondering if it's because it's released by Eros International.  Is anyone familiar with them?  I may post it in the bazaar. 

ROSELIN G.

Date Posted: 1/1/2008 7:27 PM ET

Happy New Year !!

Okay Dan I'm gonna list some of Madhuri's 'standout' movies that I liked that she made in her 'reign as ''queen of bollywood'

SAAJAN....SANJAY DUTT, SALMAN (love triangle...she and dutt fell in love during the making of this movie< but his involment with the bombay blast ended that!)

HUM AAPKE HAIN KOUN.......SALMAN KHAN  ( this one is history making along the lines of  DDLJ)

BETA, TEZAAB, RAM LAKHAN...A few of her many  pairing with  ANIL KAPOOR

**ANJAAM.......ONE OF MANY WITH SRK **a powerful movie...just too much FOR ME!! it vwas dark and  gruEsome with a terRible ending

DIL TO PAGAL HAI....another love triangle...GOOD!!!

**PREM PRATIGYA...MITHUN...one of my absolute favorites!!

AMITABH, is not a favorite of mines   but  any more in the 80s that he teamed up with SHASHI KAPOOR or VINOD KHANNA were big hits and drew in the  masses.

Some of his outstanding movies i think:
ABHIMAAN..with wife jaya

ZANJEER

ROTI KAPRA AUR MAKAN

DEEWAR

HERA PHERI

SHOLAY

KABHI KABHI

AMAR AKBAR ANTHONY

KNOON PASINA

PARVARISH

TRISHUL

LAWAARIS

**SILSILA...ROMOURED TO BE ABOUT THE REAL LIFE LOVE TRIANGLE BETWEEN amithabh , jaya and rekha)

NAMAK HALAAL

SHAKI

BOO...

I never watched  QSQT BECAUSE IT HAD A SAD ENDING...i'M DON'T LIKE ANYTHING OTHER THAN "happy" ENDING IN MY bOLLYWOOD MOVIES :)

But other Juhi  movies i really like are:

AAINA ...Jackie, amrita

LOOTERE...sunny

ARJUN PANDIT....sunny

THE GENTLEMAN...

JHAANKAR BEATS...

Last Edited on: 1/2/08 6:49 AM EST - Total times edited: 2
ddh (Dan H.)

Date Posted: 1/3/2008 8:17 AM ET

Thanks so much Roselin! I'm heading to Netflix right now. I'll just ignore what you said about Big B.  ; )

I'm wondering if it's because it's released by Eros International.  Is anyone familiar with them?

Yes, and their 20 minutes of unskippable ads...

ROSELIN G.

Date Posted: 1/3/2008 9:55 AM ET

lol!

Well like  kajol said in HOTE HOTE PYAR HO GAYA.

"---------  is not my taste"  (off course she was talking about chocolate icecream!!...but i'll take creative license and insert  AMITHABH  in that quote  :)

boo (Rebecca P.)

Date Posted: 1/10/2008 3:04 PM ET

I was finally able to get Darr posted.  :)

ddh (Dan H.)

Date Posted: 1/20/2008 12:35 PM ET

So, anyone see anything good lately? I recently watched Aaja Nachle, which averaged out to "not bad." Parts of it were very good - like whenever Madhuri Dixit was dancing - but it was very lazy and by-the-numbers. The highlight was a beautiful play-within-a-play sequence that's enough to make the movie worth a rental. I also saw Johnny Gaddaar, a very fun neo-noir caper flick. It was sort of a melange of Bollywood, Tarantino and the Coens. Sunday opens here next weekend, I'll probably check that out. It's got Ajay Devgan and Irfan Khan so how bad could it be?

boo (Rebecca P.)

Date Posted: 1/21/2008 4:47 PM ET

I watched The Namesake with DH the other week.  It was incredible!!  The story was beautifully told.  It was funny and sad and sweet all at the same time.

Page: