Discussion Forums - Foreign Films

Topic: Bollywood (and beyond)

Club rule - Please, if you cannot be courteous and respectful, do not post in this forum.
Page:
Anna C.

Date Posted: 2/2/2008 8:11 PM ET

i'm hyperventilating now that i've found a thread where i can discuss my love for hindi movies!  most recently i watched the namesake with dh.  (i know, not a bolly film really) i thought tabu and irfan khan were the best actors in the whole thing.

i've seen some classics from the 70s like sholay and don but i mostly dig the yash raj family dramas like kuch kuch hota hai, kabhi kuchi khabie gham, kal ho naa ho.  eklavya and bas ek pal were good, too.  ok, i basically love all indian films, lol.

i've also recently watched lakshya (meh) and namastey london.  abhishek bachchan and akshay kumar are my favorites.  i even listen to hindi music now, mostly filmi songs.  they're fun to listen to when i go walking or running.  i'm a little sad to see that there are very few on swapadvd but maybe as the site grows . . .

ROSELIN G.

Date Posted: 2/3/2008 7:06 PM ET

Of alllll the YR family  movies I'd have to say Mujhse Dosti Karogi with Hrithik, Rani and Kareena was my absolute favorite!!!

I

ddh (Dan H.)

Date Posted: 2/4/2008 9:12 AM ET

Hi Anna -  mujhse dosti karogi*! No, not many Hindi movies to be found here, but at least we can share the love and get some recommendations. I like filmi music too. In fact, I'm listening to the Om Shanti Om  soundtrack right now. ("Dil me mere dard-e-disco! Dard-e-disco!") Sukhwinder Singh is becoming one of favorite singers.

* A cute movie, but Kareena in annoying mode prevents me from loving it.  ; )   Good music though.

ROSELIN G.

Date Posted: 2/4/2008 9:28 AM ET

Oh Lord!!!   ....WHEN is kareena NOT ANNOYING?!?!

she has screen presence, but  i think she 'ham'  it up to the hilt!!!

If she's ended up with  hrithik in that movie it would have been a 'wall banger'  for me...lol!s

ddh (Dan H.)

Date Posted: 2/4/2008 9:42 AM ET

LOL! I have kind of been avoiding Kareena because of that movie and another one whose name escapes me, that also features Hrithik and an animated parrot. Truly horrible! But I did like her in Omkara and Asoka.

ROSELIN G.

Date Posted: 2/4/2008 9:58 AM ET

I know the one you're talking about(hrithik, kareena and Abhishek)...didn't watch  either!

"Lets just say that the PREM avatar can only be handled by  SALMAN KHAN...no one else will EVER be PREM ..;)

Last Edited on: 2/4/08 10:00 AM EST - Total times edited: 1
Anna C.

Date Posted: 2/5/2008 2:05 PM ET

ah, people who understand kareena!  ;) i really liked her in omkara, ashoka and the best was chup chup ke when she was mute, LOL.  i'm dying to see jab we met but i don't think its out on dvd yet. 

dan, i too am digging sukwindher singh songs.  i've downloaded some RDB songs on itunes--they did rafta rafta and another song on the namastey london soundtrack.  i'm also a fan of anything sunidhi chauhan sings--love her dhoom songs though the movies were kinda lame (though visually stunning).

no matter what i watch  him in, i just can't love salman khan.  he's about the only one though i'm leaning that way sometimes with hrithik roshan.

have you seen parineeta?  its a great bengali film.  the end rocks and there's a fun item number with rekha in it.

boo (Rebecca P.)

Date Posted: 2/5/2008 3:44 PM ET

Oh, jeez, I tried to watch the one with the parrot, but I just couldn't do it.  It was too much.  LOL!!

ddh (Dan H.)

Date Posted: 2/6/2008 5:28 AM ET

Ha ha slowpokes, I scooped up the copy of Darr that Rebecca posted!  : )  But maybe I'll repost it after I've watched it.

the best was chup chup ke when she was mute

Ah ha ha! I'll have to look for that one. I'd forgotten about Jab We Met, that was actually pretty good. She's definitely not mute in it though.

Oddly, I enjoyed everything about Parineeta except the ending.

Thanks for recommending Sunidhi Chauhan. I think the only thing of hers I've heard is "Dhoom Machale," I'll have to look for more.

Anna C.

Date Posted: 2/7/2008 1:17 AM ET

sad to say i'm on a work trip and posting about hindi films.  actually, i hope to find an indian store in this city where i can pick up some new releases.  i like the whole soundtrack from chup chup ke, esp the remixes.

love that song, mauja ha?he? mauja song from the jab we met soundtrack.  i've been playing that one a lot along with mast kalandar from heyy baby (haven't seen that film either).

sunidhi chauhan sings beedi from omkara, crazy kiya re, maybe some other songs from dhoom 2 and i think yeh mira dil from don.  her voice has great range, imho.

would really like to see om shanti om and saawariya--are they on dvd yet?

ROSELIN G.

Date Posted: 2/7/2008 1:12 PM ET

i CAN'T BELIEVE My POST DIDN'T TAKE ...SIGHHHHHHHHH

Now i have to do it all over again !

Anyways i was watching one of my favorite recent hollywood movie THE FAMILY STONE with Sarah jessica parker and Luke Wilson (like him ) and was thinking...hey with a few modifications this would make a nice Bolly Flix...

Anyone agree?

And don't tell me i'm behind the times and Bollywood have already copied this one too ?!?!

Last Edited on: 2/7/08 2:29 PM EST - Total times edited: 1
boo (Rebecca P.)

Date Posted: 2/8/2008 2:24 PM ET

Dan, you'll have to let me know what you think about Darr.

Anyone got anything posted that DH and I should consider watching?  I'm craving a good Hindi movie.  :)

ddh (Dan H.)

Date Posted: 2/8/2008 5:30 PM ET

sunidhi chauhan sings beedi from omkara, crazy kiya re, maybe some other songs from dhoom 2 and i think yeh mira dil from don.  her voice has great range, imho.

You had me at "Beedi."   : )  But the only song I remember from Jab We Met is "Nagada Nagada," I'll have to look for the soundtrack.

Haven't seen The Family Stone but I expect a Bollywood remake is in the works. ; )

Sorry, Rebecca, all I have is that unpostable copy of Bhoot that I've been meaning to list in the bazaar. Interested? Anyone?

I will probably watch Darr this weekend. And next weekend is Jodhaa Akbar!

I love it that this is one of the busier threads. 

ROSELIN G.

Date Posted: 2/8/2008 5:49 PM ET

Both ladies have awesome voices, but if I had to pick I'd go with Shreyal simply because she seem to stay more 'indian' if you know what i mean.....sunihi just seem to be more on the 'pop' side and that's all fine and dandy but i tend to support people who are true to their culture and  not  'westernizing for the sake of increasing the market for bollywood....

thus my lack of interest in these new movies that are coming out.....they are like 360 degrees to what's really  indian movies...but I guess they need to  go with the times...but my take is if i wanna see that kind of stuff i'll watch a hollywood flix!

I guess since i've been in it for all my life  isee things a little diiferent from the newer members to Bollywood....

DARR was a one time watch for me.....it was good and i totally was happy sunny ended up with juhi (they made some awesome movies together too : LOOTERE, ARJUN PANDIT) but like ANJAAM w/w Madhuri  it was too gruesome at the end for me ...

boo (Rebecca P.)

Date Posted: 3/5/2008 3:58 PM ET

Bhoot?  I don't think I know that one.  Hmmm. . .  I'll have to see if he's watched it yet.

ddh (Dan H.)

Date Posted: 3/6/2008 1:04 PM ET
Bhoot is the ghost story with Urmila Matondkar and Ajay Devgan. It was just okay. Urmila gave a great performance but the script was pretty meh. Still haven't watched Darr, but I did catch Jodhaa Akbar and No Smoking. The former was very entertaining, the latter not so much, but it was nice to see something different from Bollywood.
Anna C.

Date Posted: 4/13/2008 11:38 PM ET

saw jab we met.  i was pretty entertained.  heyy babyy was lame--the plot was inconceivable as was much of the dialogue (in translation, anyway).  i do love one of the songs from the movie, mast kalander.  also watched chak! de india with my 11 yr old daughter.  we both liked it.  its a great girl power movie.

i would really like to see jodhas akhbar but i'll have to wait until its on dvd.  no hindi movie theater near me. . .

ddh (Dan H.)

Date Posted: 4/15/2008 5:11 PM ET

I am psyched - I've had Lagaan on my wishlist since I joined and now it's headed my way! Woot!

I also liked Chak De India, that was good fun. I read somewhere that last year's Filmfare award for Best Supporting Actress was awarded to "the Chak De girls," which I thought was sweet and well deserved.

What else...I watched half of Darr but haven't gotten around to finishing it. Last night I watched the first part of Bunty Aur Babli which I really like so far.

ROSELIN G.

Date Posted: 4/15/2008 5:24 PM ET

I saw someone posted BAAZIGAR...but not one i'd watch again so i just let it go.

I reallllyyyy want a copy of MUJHSE DOSTI KAROGE...anyone????

I watched JAAL-the Trap again....love this movie...it was so fillled with unexpected twists and turns...but thankfully they were what i  wanted to happen so i cheered it on.

Loved Reema Sen in this movie...she was  gutsy, and determined to get her man!!...eh sunny that is lol!

also saw another of her movies with Fadeen Khan...well made and wonderful story...i guess Ilike her choice of characters because here too she stood her ground and pride even though she was poor...

ahurley53 (Amelia H.)

Date Posted: 11/5/2008 12:19 PM ET

I love Bollywood movies, just finished watching Veera Zaara, what a great love story.  It stars SRK

bluestar (Rory C.)

Date Posted: 12/19/2009 12:25 AM ET

Love Bollywood films. I've seen Jab We Met (5 stars, my rating), Bheja Fry (3 stars), Rab Ne Bana Di Jodi ... aka A Match Made in Heaven with SRK (4 stars).

Also saw an English film starring Roshan Seth called The Journey, which is excellent.

Just got Yash Chopra's Mohabbatein, and can't wait to see it. 

Now I'm waiting for Vivah to be posted. It looks so good

Last Edited on: 12/19/09 12:25 AM EST - Total times edited: 1
King K.

Subject: Edited by the SwapaDVD Team
Date Posted: 5/14/2018 10:22 PM ET
Edited by the SwapaDVD Team

Last Edited on: 6/8/18 7:18 PM EST - Total times edited: 0
Xiaojun X.

Subject: Edited by the SwapaDVD Team
Date Posted: 6/6/2018 12:36 AM ET
Edited by the SwapaDVD Team

Last Edited on: 6/8/18 9:59 AM EST - Total times edited: 0
Katcha (Katcha S.)

Date Posted: 12/23/2019 11:41 PM ET

Wow is this an old thread or what?!?

Yes I enjoy some Bollywood too, Shakrukh Khan being a favorite of mine as well. His -

Rab Ne Bana Di Jodi cracks me up,

Chak de! India is also very enjoyable

Veer-Zaara is a decent love story

The Namesake is quite good and worth a watch even if one isn't into Bollywood all that much.

Thumbs up for Moonsoon Wedding and Bend it like Beckham.

Angie N.

Subject: Bahubali
Date Posted: 11/18/2020 5:54 PM ET

Does anyone have a copy of Bahubali - The Beginning they would like to post.  I have the conclusion, but would like the part one of the EPIC film.

Page: