Discussion Forums - Questions about SwapaDVD

Topic: Extra things with DVD

Club rule - Please, if you cannot be courteous and respectful, do not post in this forum.
yeejkoob (Yengkong S.)

Subject: Extra things with DVD
Date Posted: 6/21/2011 4:26 PM ET

Not sure if this is acceptable and how to go about this?

I received a DVD today and normally people, including myself, would put a kleenex or tissue inside to prevent the DVD from moving during the shipping. The DVD I got today attempted this but not with kleenex or tissue but with an article teaching about Catholic?

momof3jkids (Kellie S.)

Date Posted: 6/21/2011 4:35 PM ET

Can I include anything with my DVD?

Generally: No.

SwapaDVD does not permit inclusion of advertising, commercial solicitation, political materials, religious tracts or the like with SwapaDVD mailings.  These are often unwelcome and can be extremely offensive to the receiver. 

The USPS also has strict regulations if the package is being sent Media Mail rate.  Only media (books, CDs, DVDs, VHS tapes) and an invoice (page 2 of the SwapaDVD Wrapper qualifies as an invoice) are allowed to be sent using Media Mail rate.  No advertising, commercial solicitation, political materials, religious tracts, non-Media items, letters or cards are allowed.

• Media Mail is subject to postal inspection
  • If your package is found to be in violation of Media Mail regulations:
    • Your package may be returned to you
    • Your package may be delivered to the requestor postage-due
    • Your package may be destroyed.

What is Allowed in a package sent using Media Mail rate:

• Media, as described above
  • A note with a simple accompanying message,
    • such as "Happy Birthday!" or "Hope you enjoy it!"
  • An invoice or notification of the shipment
    • The second page of the SwapaDVD Wrapper falls into this category.
    • The USPS eligibility guidelines for enclosures and attachments for Media Mail say (we have edited these for relevance; the full regulations are athttp://pe.usps.com/text/dmm300/173.htm#wp1060522)
    • 4.0 Attachments and Enclosures

4.3 Written Enclosures

• Markings that have the character of personal correspondence require, with certain exceptions, additional postage at the First-Class Mail prices. The following written additions and enclosures do not require additional First-Class Mail postage:

a. The sender's and the addressee's names, occupations, and addresses, preceded by "From" or "To," and directions for handling. (page 2 of the SwapaDVD Wrapper qualifies here)

b. Marks, numbers, names, or letters describing the contents. (page 2 of the SwapaDVD Wrapper qualifies here)

c. Words or phrases such as "Do Not Open Until Christmas" and "Happy Birthday, Mother." 

d. Instructions and directions for the use of the item mailed. (page 2 of the SwapaDVD Wrapper qualifies here)

4.4 Invoice (page 2 of the SwapaDVD Wrapper qualifies here)

An invoice, whether it also serves as a bill, may be placed either inside a Media Mailpiece or in an envelope marked "Invoice Enclosed" and attached to the outside of the piece if the invoice relates solely to the matter with which it is mailed. The invoice may show this information:

a. Names and addresses of the sender and addressee.

b. Names and quantities of the articles enclosed, descriptions of each (e.g., price, tax, style, stock number, size, and quality, and, if defective, nature of defects).

c. Order or file number, date of order, date and manner of shipment, shipping weight, postage paid, and initials or name of packer or checker.

Including any inappropriate materials in your package is a serious infraction of SwapaDVD rules (and if the package is sent Media Mail, also of Federal law). Including inappropriate* materials with your DVDs will jeopardize your membership at SwapaDVD.

*if the item does not clearly fit into any of the categories mentioned above, its appropriateness/inappropriateness will be judged solely by The SwapaDVD Team.

Orlswapper (Phil R.)

Date Posted: 6/21/2011 5:12 PM ET
Don't get upset; you don't want it ......... throw it away and move on. Nothing to report here, move along! :)
KathrynBlodgett (Kathryn B.)

Date Posted: 6/21/2011 6:26 PM ET

You could do 1 of 3 things:

1. Send the sender a very nice pm explaining that those types of articles are inappropriate and against the rules of swapadvd (linked kindly to this posting or the rules kellie posted). I wouldnt expect a nice response back but you never know.

2. Put a note to swapadvd in the notes section when you mark it received

3. Ignore it and throw it away

Thats pretty much it :-)

Last Edited on: 6/21/11 6:26 PM EST - Total times edited: 1
yeejkoob (Yengkong S.)

Date Posted: 6/21/2011 10:26 PM ET

Thanks for the feedback.

JessyBird03 (Jessica J.)

Date Posted: 6/22/2011 12:01 AM ET

I'd be inclined to throw it away and ignore it, especially since they used it as the packing material. If it was folded up, I would have assumed it trash and thrown it away to begin with and never known it was catholic propaganda. Maybe (jusssst maybe) this person would rather use old scraps of paper than brand new kleenex or paper towels. Who knows? 

aylamonster (Shellie F.)

Date Posted: 6/22/2011 12:23 AM ET

I've received dvds that had a folded up envelope that was probably from junk mail.  It probably gave more protection than some of the tiny things some people use :O) 

Elaureth (Kerry L.)

Date Posted: 6/22/2011 1:19 PM ET

I received one that used ONE SQUARE of toilet paper.  O.o  Gimme a folded up bit of religious propaganda any day over that!

But, still, if the rules state that something in particular cannot be sent with a DVD, you should really let the sender know.  They may very well not know it's against the rules or did not pay attention to what they were using as padding, but they should.  Even though you don't care what they use to pad the disc, you could be saving that sender from a very nasty response in the future from someone else who would take offense to that type of thing.

Johnny S.

Date Posted: 7/5/2011 11:30 AM ET

Was the toilet paper used??...... LOL