Discussion Forums - Education

Topic: Literature and Movies

Club rule - Please, if you cannot be courteous and respectful, do not post in this forum.
GordonSetter (Denise B.)

Subject: Literature and Movies
Date Posted: 1/18/2008 10:57 AM ET

I just posted a new copy (watched once) of Nathaniel Hawthorne's The Scarlet Letter  (starring Colleen Moore) and one of the reviews I read said it was the most accurate adapation of the novel. It is black and white though, which some kids have a problem with! :-)  I think it would be great for a compare and contrast activity for older kids!

For slightly younger kids, I have a 2-disk set of The Adventures of the Black Stallion that isn't in the system. It's 13 episodes of  season one, the television show. There are at least 20 books written by Walter Farley (not all of them about the Black Stallion) and for horse loving children watching the show might be a great incentive to read more.

If someone wanted to do a "comparative cinema" study that explored the differences between vintage movies and modern movies, the Roger Corman Classics (Monsterfest) would be a great addition for the "vintage" category.  It's amazing how creepy an old movie can be, even w/o all the CGI effects in modern movies.

The Scarlet Letter and the Monsterfest movies are on my tower, PM me if you are interested in the Black Stallion set.

Lianass H.

Subject: Edited by the SwapaDVD Team
Date Posted: 12/28/2023 9:48 PM ET
Edited by the SwapaDVD Team

Last Edited on: 2/28/24 9:17 AM EST - Total times edited: 0