Discussion Forums - Questions about SwapaDVD

Topic: Trader wants to"RETURN" a movie she ordered 5 1/2 months ago!??

Club rule - Please, if you cannot be courteous and respectful, do not post in this forum.
wink (Chris G.)

Subject: Trader wants to"RETURN" a movie she ordered 5 1/2 months ago!??
Date Posted: 1/17/2012 5:23 PM ET

How long must we be responsible?  She ordered a DVD and received it August 2nd, 2011.  We view all of our movies and it played fine for us before it left our shop.   Last week we received an email telling us she just attempted to watch it and it did not play for her and she wanted to return it, and get her credit back!  I think this is way too long to be held accountable.  It would cost $2.50 to ship it back, so I suggested she take it to a "Buy-Backs" and have the disk buffed/resurfaced (cost of $2-$3 on the spot-takes less than 5 minutes).

What do you all think?

TeaBea (Tracy B.)

Date Posted: 1/17/2012 5:37 PM ET

It was her responsibility to "test" the DVD before marking is as accepted.  I typically don't watch a DVD all the way through before accepting it either.  But that's my "choice."   It's my own fault if I get "stuck" with a bad disc.  The rules state that you can't "un accept"  a DVD once you've accepted it (OK, not in those words)

Last Edited on: 1/17/12 5:37 PM EST - Total times edited: 1
KathrynBlodgett (Kathryn B.)

Date Posted: 1/17/2012 6:06 PM ET

yea generally if its a trader i know, i will accept immediately because i know they will make the transaction right if it falls in the next month or two. Anything outside that range I dont even bother with. I've so far only had that happen to 1 dvd and i just accepted it was my fault not watching it and moved on.

Joella S.

Subject: The way I look at it...
Date Posted: 1/18/2012 7:57 AM ET

Didnt they get it for free...hello come on.  Yes they lost one credit.   I used to (still do) run/ran and book swap site, I sell, trade, buy etc.  I had this problem alot.  Mainly they would get it go through it say something was missing in the box and want all their money back.  After only the first time I started documenting everything. taking pictures of what was in the box and other things to keep things from (apparently) going wrong.    Like one said before they could have it cleaned.  What exactly was the beef about it, didnt play...jumped etc.  Sometimes you cant help that.  I got a new DVD at walmart, it skipped took it back got another one it did the same thing same place.  Turned out bad from manufacture.  I ended up getting it from someone on ebay...and it worked.  Anyway probably what I would do is apoligize that there was a problam with the DVD but it has been kept for for what 5½ months??  Should screen them when you get them and you wouldnt have to go through something like this.   What is the saying you get what you pay for?  Only we are not paying here??????

calgreg (Greg C.)

Subject: have some dip
Date Posted: 1/20/2012 3:12 PM ET

Chris,

As a club member, I would say give her credits back and shrug it off. That's the way this stuff rolls in clubs.

As a business owner, I would do the same thing because I value my time and sanity more than the credit is worth.

That's my 2 cents. Worth what you paid for it. 

Carrie M.

Subject: Try mayo
Date Posted: 1/21/2012 8:58 PM ET

I know it sounds weird, but I have rubbed mayo on my dvd's that would freeze and wipe it clean with a soft papertowel....I repaired many dvd's that way

yeejkoob (Yengkong S.)

Date Posted: 1/25/2012 10:35 PM ET

I think everyone has a time period. I wouldn't give the credit back if they accept it as no problem then 5 1/2 months later say there was a problem. Also to Greg, you can't refund a dvd even if you were a business owner doing a business transaction for money and not credit. You can only do an even trade for the same dvd per copyright laws. Unless if that law changed since I last worked at a retail store.

Date Posted: 1/25/2012 10:50 PM ET

umm ive returned movies before and gotten my money back...

yeejkoob (Yengkong S.)

Date Posted: 1/26/2012 9:54 PM ET

Kathryn: Must've been just the store I worked for then. When I was working at Wal-Mart, we couldn't get money back for opened DVD. Only DVD that weren't opened yet.

Date Posted: 1/26/2012 10:16 PM ET

Yea, I think thats a walmart policy (although other stores may have the same policy). I've returned open items to other stores, including amazon, without any problem and with just getting a refund, not a replacement.

And actually, walmart will allow you to replace it with the same MOVIE but it doesnt necessarily have to be the same format. I once took back a dvd and they only had the bluray in stock, which at the time was on sale, so they gave me the blu-ray and I was able to buy 2 more blu-rays with the difference.

HHHarry (Harry E.)

Date Posted: 2/1/2012 4:27 PM ET

"I  know it sounds weird, but I have rubbed mayo on my dvd's that would freeze and wipe it clean with a soft papertowel....I repaired many dvd's that way"

Uh, could you tell us the thought process that led you to trying this the first time?

yeejkoob (Yengkong S.)

Date Posted: 2/1/2012 7:13 PM ET

Kathryn: The store I worked at must've been really strict on policy then. Lol. It had to be the same format for us. If you buy Widescreen but there's only Fullscreen left on the shelves then you can't return it. Have to wait til we get new ones in or call a different Wal-Mart to see if they have the correct format.

Windyastro (Laura B.)

Date Posted: 2/1/2012 10:18 PM ET

double post, sorry

Last Edited on: 2/1/12 10:23 PM EST - Total times edited: 1
Windyastro (Laura B.)

Date Posted: 2/1/2012 10:22 PM ET

How long must we be responsible?

I just had somebody PM me that they did not receive something that I sent out 8 months ago. 

They marked it received back in July, but just now realized* they never received it.  

Would be kinda funny if it was the same person  LOL 

Date Posted: 2/1/2012 10:24 PM ET

uhh yea, ok. I really dont believe that one lol. Thats when you say tough luck cause they probably just misplaced it.