Discussion Forums - Questions about SwapaDVD

Topic: Walmart's disc to digital

Club rule - Please, if you cannot be courteous and respectful, do not post in this forum.
Page:
KathrynBlodgett (Kathryn B.)

Date Posted: 3/15/2013 8:00 AM ET

there you go valerie, that would be a reason you could get rid of the disc then, as they have agreements with the studios.... Which means they are paying the studio for the ability to make a copy, which means you can get rid of your disc if you buy a disc to digital as long as theres an agreement with that studio... Exactly what Ive been saying all along, although kinda surprised vudu managed to come to an agreement with studios lol

icepeanut (Jean M.)

Date Posted: 3/15/2013 10:02 PM ET

Just my two cents.

If the agreement with the studio requires proof of ownership of the disc for VUDU to make a copy, I would think the disc would need to be kept along with the VUDU copy.  Just because VUDU says you don't need to keep the original disc, doesn't mean the studios agreed to that.  I'm curious if they mark the original disc so it can't be VUDU'd more than once.  Otherwise, the same disc could be copied numerous times; 1 person who owns the disc could VUDU it; then give it to a friend/relativce and they could VUDU it; and then another friend/relative could VUDU it; unless there is a code that can only be used one time per disc.

I found this in the VUDU TOS:   The Disc to Digital program is only available for physical Blu-ray™ and DVD titles that have been legitimately purchased and are presently owned by you. VUDU reserves the right to refuse conversion of a title, or to limit or cancel your access to a previously converted title, if VUDU reasonably believes the title does not meet, or no longer meets, the purchase and ownership criteria set forth in this paragraph.  I interpret this to mean that if you no longer own the blu-ray or DVD; the title wouldn't meet the criteria for access to a previous conversion.  So, you would need to have ownership of the Blu-Ray or DVD for the VUDU copy to be legal.

NOTE: "you" refers to generic you and isn't directed any anyone specific.

KathrynBlodgett (Kathryn B.)

Date Posted: 3/16/2013 12:58 AM ET

yea jean, thats the exact part we were arguing throughout the thread. I dont see another way of interpretting that, but I guess the people sarah talked to dont see it the same way.

vLame (Jon H.)

Date Posted: 4/23/2013 10:44 AM ET
It's not like if you sell or donate your DVD vudu will refund you. And of course they are giving money to the studios, vudu makes money. Making movies is a business.
King K.

Subject: Edited by the SwapaDVD Team
Date Posted: 5/14/2018 10:22 PM ET
Edited by the SwapaDVD Team

Last Edited on: 6/8/18 7:18 PM EST - Total times edited: 0
Xiaojun X.

Date Posted: 6/6/2018 12:47 AM ET

Last Edited on: 6/8/18 9:59 AM EST - Total times edited: 0
King K.

Date Posted: 8/21/2018 2:18 AM ET

Last Edited on: 8/21/18 11:58 AM EST - Total times edited: 0
glowbird (Gloria B.)

Date Posted: 11/16/2018 9:48 AM ET

Valerie, I agree with you on this.  I don't think they "make a copy." 

Checked into this some more and you don't even need to insert a disc into anything.  You can scan a UPC on your phone.  You can also use the computer to scan a disc, but new computers don't seem to have DVD drives anymore.  And you can also redeem UV or just buy a movie.  I just went through my whole WL, and found I can buy about 54.  I think I will start doing this because these are titles that I may not watch often, or are rare finds (not "classic" films, just rare).  Some rare ones are a great deal to buy especially when you check out the numbers of wishers for titles that just don't show up on here, like Cobb or Still Breathing (I own this one though).

I haven't used VUDU, but to clean up the mess of storing all these discs, I certainly see the appeal.

Last Edited on: 11/16/18 12:03 PM EST - Total times edited: 1
John C.

Date Posted: 12/4/2018 10:35 PM ET

Keep in mind that the Supreme Court has declared that Digital redemptions are totally separate from the Disc. That declaration regarding the RedBox practice of selling off the digital licence codes from +UV sheets in their store purchased media; not direct from distributor media. 
I don't remember which company originally sued them, but they were joined by more studios at Appeal and the MPAA at the Supreme Court case. 
So three courts said that a user (RedBox or any other) can buy a +UV or +digital copy, sell the movie, and keep the digital version. 

SwapA doesn't give any kind of credit for discs with a digital copy. They also state that a digital code may not work. 

Beyond that, various Disc to Digital companies ALL require a fee which a later appeals case stated counted as yet another product and transaction. 

So here's the facts. 
Copying a DVD or BluRay to your hard drive yourself, very illegal, you're breaking at least 4 laws in the US and possibly more. 

Buying, trading, or even renting, a disc, and using the UV or other digital conversion code, including unlocking the digital copy on a separate disc; the continued use of the digital edition is completely legal after you dispose of the original disc. 

Using a disc to digital service of any type that costs a fee, and later disposing of the disc, is not only legal, it's a completely separate transaction.

Now all of this happened after the second posting up there with the SwapA reply. This should be revisited given the legal rulings that have come since that OP. 
I personally have no issue with receiving a no copy stamp on it. I've received rental discs from members in far worse condition than a single stamp or two. I don't complain. 

Page: