Discussion Forums - Questions about SwapaDVD

Topic: Refresh my memory on sending to APO address please

Club rule - Please, if you cannot be courteous and respectful, do not post in this forum.
glowbird (Gloria B.)

Subject: Refresh my memory on sending to APO address please
Date Posted: 1/25/2014 2:05 PM ET

I remember the last time I had an APO order that it was very difficult to get the postage online.  PP doesn't allow us to use those addresses.  I added money here and just printed a swap label to save myself the headache.  Now what else should I do?  I know there is an additional form I must fill out at the PO.  What is it called?  And should I also purchase additional tracking or just mail the way it is and hope for the best? 

momof3jkids (Kellie S.)

Date Posted: 1/25/2014 2:19 PM ET

Sending to APO/FPO/DPO Addresses

Sending to APO/FPO/DPO addresses requires a customs form and a trip to the post office (there can be other restrictions as well).

APO/FPO/DPO addresses are US government/military addresses outside the USA.
Customs forms for overseas addresses are brief and easy to fill out; they can be obtained from the post office.
Packages being mailed to an APO/FPO/DPO address do need to be handed to a postal employee at the post office, for National Security reasons.

We believe that most SwapaDVD members will want to support those who are serving our country abroad. However, that support may not include a willingness to complete customs forms and make trips to the postoffice, if those are necessary.  This is a personal choice. We will not force any member to make the extra effort required to support our APO/FPO/DPO members, so senders are welcome to decline requests from APO/FPO/DPO addresses.

There are no extra fees involved in sending to an APO/FPO/DPO address. Postage costs the same for all mail sent to addresses serviced by the USPS.

A supply of the customs forms can also be delivered to your home, if you order them from your PO

glowbird (Gloria B.)

Subject: Customs form?
Date Posted: 1/25/2014 3:43 PM ET

That is more info than I needed but thanks. I've done this before, I was only asking for the name of the form. 

I do not like mailing to APO addresses because of the hassle involved--and the inability to print on PP or even on the USPS site, and it does cost more when you use site postage even though the postage itself is the same.  People should be aware that the site charges an additional .55 on top of the postage. 

ohsonaughty (Tara C.)

Date Posted: 1/25/2014 4:18 PM ET

I wonder why then is a customs form required for an APO package but not an APO envelope?  I've sent coupons in envelopes to a woman with an APO address in the past and the PO just treats it like any other regular envelope.

glowbird (Gloria B.)

Date Posted: 1/25/2014 6:39 PM ET

I don't think you need the form on letters. As far as I know overseas bases are considered U.S. territory.

I've sent packages w/o it before, too, and they arrived fine, but I think those were single dvds.  Maybe I'll just skip it because when I went out of my way to attaach the form last time the package took so long that it was claimed lost in mail by swap!  Probably because of all the special handling they require when you attach that form. 

I just remembered that they only track the packages up until they physically leave the mainland.  Makes no sense to purchase additional tracking, which won't ever be scanned. 

sflover (Melanie C.)

Date Posted: 1/25/2014 10:18 PM ET

it's Form 2976 if it's less than 4 pounds, I'm pretty sure, and are you sure you can't print it out online (on usps.com)? I've never done it (always went to the P.O.), but the usps site seems to say you can (Click 'N Ship)....

silverscreensilent22 (Robbi C.)

Date Posted: 1/25/2014 11:33 PM ET

I want to support our troops, too, Kellie. However, the last two packages I sent to APO addresses were reported received as empty envelopes, with no contents inside. They were well-packed with DVDs when they left my home. Perhaps the APO post offices are not managed well - I have no idea what the problem is. But I refuse to send any more DVDs to APOs, under these circumstances.

momof3jkids (Kellie S.)

Date Posted: 1/26/2014 12:51 AM ET

Robbi, I copied all the information from the help docs. It's word for word from the SAD team. Personally, I don't do it. I definitely wouldn't try to guilt someone. 

Sorry if it was too much info Gloria. The help docs provide that info to you for a reason. Since you would have to go to the PO anyway, they would know they exact name of the customs form. Instead of just custom form. No need to be snarky.

musiclover (Valerie L.)

Date Posted: 1/26/2014 10:11 AM ET

Some of us never go to the post office anymore to mail DVDs.  We can print electronic postage and mail from our mailbox.  Let's say we figured out how to print a customs form online or we grabbed a few forms from the PO.  Do we have to present the package at the PO counter or can we just drop it in the mailbox?  I have never mailed to APO either but I would like to be ready.  

momof3jkids (Kellie S.)

Date Posted: 1/26/2014 10:26 AM ET

From the USPS site:

Don't send international mail without first checking if it can be accepted at your preferred drop-off location.
Any mailpiece, including mail destined to APO/FPO/DPO addresses, with a customs declaration form that was not completed and submitted online (e.g., using Click-N-Ship®) must be presented by the customer to an employee at a retail service counter at a Post Office™ location. In addition, any mailpiece that requires a customs declaration form and bears postage stamps must also be presented by the customer to an employee at a retail service counter at a Post Office location.

So the way I understand it, if you use the click to ship service...you can mail it from anywhere. Any other would need to go to the post office. I've never done it, so I'm not sure.

musiclover (Valerie L.)

Date Posted: 1/26/2014 10:38 AM ET

Kellie,  that makes perfect sense, thank you!  

glowbird (Gloria B.)

Date Posted: 1/26/2014 1:10 PM ET

Where I live I always go to the PO and it's small, everyone knows everyone's first name, so I will be going there to mail my package.  :)  We don't deal with these kinds of packages much, so I was hoping for a simple reply.  I don't have a lot of time to be on the site.  Had hoped some nice mem would just answer my question and I'd be on my way.  

Anyway, when I do mail these packages, as much as I dislike dealing with them, I put in extras since you pay by weight anyway, why not? 

momof3jkids (Kellie S.)

Date Posted: 1/26/2014 1:15 PM ET

Well I was trying to be nice. But you can't please everyone.

musiclover (Valerie L.)

Date Posted: 1/26/2014 1:16 PM ET

Here you go Gloria,  you can do the form online.  tool automatically creates the necessary customs forms.  How awesome is that! 

Print a shipping label with a customs form for Priority Mail Express™, Priority Mail®, or First-Class Package International Service™
For Priority Mail Express International™, Priority Mail International®, and First-Class Package International Service™, you can prepare your shipping label with Click-N-Ship® and our tool automatically creates the necessary customs forms. You can print your label and customs forms, and then schedule your carrier to pick up your package or bring it to your local Post Office™.

Last Edited on: 1/26/14 1:21 PM EST - Total times edited: 2