Discussion Forums - Questions about SwapaDVD

Topic: Ok to list DVD's previously owned by librarys?

Club rule - Please, if you cannot be courteous and respectful, do not post in this forum.
LindaH (Linda H.)

Subject: Ok to list DVD's previously owned by librarys?
Date Posted: 1/9/2015 8:37 PM ET

I have a number of DVD's I bought at a library sale (they were withdrawn from library stock), which after watching them, decided I didnt want them and listed them here.

A swapper informed me he when he got it, he "would throw it in the trash" because it had security tags on the front of the DVD, library barcodes and stickers over the artwork (these are small, no bigger than (1 X 2") and plastic cover over the DVD case. Is it prohibited to swap DVDs from the library? They are in the original cases, have original art work and all play ok.

aylamonster (Shellie F.)

Date Posted: 1/9/2015 9:52 PM ET

HI LInda,

It had security tags on the DVD itself? I'd be unsure about that myself. The easiest way to swap these DVDs would be to list them in the bazaar including a description of the condition. Some members are very particular about the condition of the artwork and the club rules support them. Cases can be swapped out so they are not a problem. I'd be leery of trying to remove a security tag from a DVD disc. Did you possibly mean on the case or is it actually on the DVD?  Another thing I've heard to watch out for is printed artwork on library copies.

If these are wl DVDs, I'm sure you will find takers in the bazaar. 

Happy Swapping!

DeucesWild (John S.)

Date Posted: 1/10/2015 11:36 AM ET

I've received a couple 'less than pristine' packages: one ex-library, one ex-video store.  Both times, the sender contacted me in advance, explaining what stickers/writing were on the artwork and/or disc (and, of course, that they play fine).  So, that's an option before going to the bazaar...

Evelyn L.

Date Posted: 1/10/2015 6:33 PM ET

It would be nice if there were a clear policy on this.  For example, on Paperback Swap, ex-library books are specifically allowed, while textbooks with writing are allowed assuming you PM the recipient first and get an okay.

musiclover (Valerie L.)

Date Posted: 1/10/2015 6:42 PM ET

My library puts sticker on the disc around the center hole.  There's stickers right on the artwork and stickers inside the case.  I think library DVDs are allowed but I would pm first to see if receiver is okay with all the stickers.  Offering in the DVD Bazaar will save you grief.  If it's wishlisted it will be more desirable.  Make a list of library DVDs and describe the stickers and offer in the Bazaar for 1 credit per disc.  They would buddy you the credits and pm their address. 

Last Edited on: 1/10/15 6:44 PM EST - Total times edited: 1
BobDog (Steven B.)

Date Posted: 1/16/2015 12:42 AM ET

I prefer that the sender let me know in advance if it is an ex-library disc or an ex-rental.  Or even if the movie is in poor condition.  Then I can decide if I want it or not.  I received one library disc from a swap member that I mailed back to the library.  It did not look like a discard and I was fairly irate upon receiving it. 

Since you bought your dvd's from the library itself, you should have no qualms about posting them.  Just give the requester a head's up so they can decide if they still want them. 

Evelyn L.

Date Posted: 1/16/2015 9:49 AM ET

Not all libraries mark their discards (and those that do often do it with just a black marker through their name, which anyone could do).