Discussion Forums - Questions about SwapaDVD

Topic: Weight of DVDs Mailed and the "Wrapper"

Club rule - Please, if you cannot be courteous and respectful, do not post in this forum.
Tom B.

Subject: Weight of DVDs Mailed and the "Wrapper"
Date Posted: 6/2/2015 1:33 PM ET

I'm new here and don't quite understand how to ship dvds that people ask for.  It would seem to me that the weight of each package should be the same give or take an ounce as just how much difference is the weight of the average commercially released dvd in the typical case and paper cover sleeve? I hate having to run to the post office in advance each time to confirm the weight but is this pretty much mandatory lest you send a package that is off an ounce or so?  Can anyone who has trade a lot of dvds tell me of there last ten or shipments, was there much variation in the weight (besides of course those thin-case titles which are really only public domain releases or in boxed sets which of course would have to be weighed to get a correct weight since the weight of those can vary quite a bit. 

And re the "wrapper" is this printed on just a typical piece of blank printer paper or on cardboard?  Is this just wrapped around a dvd or is the dvd to be placed in a regular envelope and the wrapper put around that?  I don't think swapadvd really gives enough information in advance of needing to ship a dvd from the very brief info I can find on the website. 

Last Edited on: 6/2/15 1:43 PM EST - Total times edited: 1
aylamonster (Shellie F.)

Date Posted: 6/2/2015 3:20 PM ET

I never mail in the printed wrapper, I use bubble mailing envelopes. I recycle them so they vary in size. Unless I have a very light weight single dvd, I do media mail which is $2.72 for up to a pound, including free tracking. If the weight of my package is low enough that it is cheaper to go 1st class, then I do that. 

KateWisdom (Renee K.)

Date Posted: 6/2/2015 5:08 PM ET

Weight - What a lot of frequent senders do is to get a small kitchen or PO scale to weigh packages at home. I'm not necessarily saying to go out and spend big $$ on a scale, but I do occasionally see simple kitchen scales at Goodwill for $3-5 or so and it really was a tremendously useful "investment" for me (technically I'd gotten mine for a themed room display, but it would have been worth it at that price to get it just for use in terms of the site. In general I'd say that a 1-disc movie tends to range from 4 oz - 6 oz, but it's best to be as exact as possible since a low estimate can easily result in a package being returned to sender for insufficient postage (which would mean paying for postage again in full). When I first started out I didn't use site postage. A bit later I was using the labels but didn't have my scale and it was a bit of a hassle - if I needed to get quick credit for an item, I would package up my new requests completely and take them to the PO when I mailed my requests that I'd already gotten labels printed for, have them weigh them at the counter when having them scan in the labels on my out-going packages, print the labels later, then take the next new batch for weighing when I was out to mail those in a day or so. Lather, rise, repeat. Having spent time with each method, I cannot recommend the cheap scale highly enough.

Mailers - This is a bit of a sore subject with some members. You just need to print the wrapper on printer paper. The site has some conflicting advice on wrapping the DVD case. They have a how-to and here is additional advice from the FAQ:

• Alternate packaging options include: bubble mailers, manila envelopes, brown paper (like cut-down grocery bags), etc.
  • Whatever method of wrapping you choose, your goal should be to create a sturdy package that will withstand the USPS journey to its new owner.

Using just the mailer, as in the how-to, offers no protection to the disc/case during shipping, so many swappers use/re-use bubble mailers (they tend to add an 1 ounce or less to the overall weight) when possible to improve the odds of the item reaching it's destination successfully. My mother works at the PO and strongly recommends using bubble mailers and a "tape cross". I asked her how she would recommend packing DVDs when I started using the site, and this is what I've ended up with to-date (obviously not mandatory, but it seems to work well for me):

• use a piece of bubble wrap in the case
  • wrap the case in plastic (like a birthday present, with the edges taped down rather than loosely since water could still get in that way)
  • put the wrapped case in a bubble mailer (alternately, if I have spare bubble wrap and manila envelopes I will wrap in bubble wrap and put in an envelope)
  • tape/seal the open end shut all the way across
  • if using the SaDVD mailer
  • wrap a strip of tape around the package and then another so that it crosses over it. (this keeps the DVD from slipping out of the package if the paper/mailer gets ripped) - if hand writing the address, you'd want to do that before adding both strips of tape

Last Edited on: 6/2/15 5:10 PM EST - Total times edited: 1
musiclover (Valerie L.)

Date Posted: 6/2/2015 5:48 PM ET

Most of the DVDs I mail are 4oz for regular case, 5oz. Blockbuster case or heavy sturdy case.  Light flimsy eco-box 3oz.

I use bubble mailers. I use a scale. 

Last Edited on: 6/2/15 5:49 PM EST - Total times edited: 1
TeaBea (Tracy B.)

Date Posted: 6/2/2015 7:16 PM ET

You will find bubble mailers to be pretty common here - but if you are mailing something in one of those heavy duty Blockbuster, or even the old fashioned cases - you don't need to worry about damage when wrapping in paper.  What I call "old fashioned" cases are more firm when you pinch them together in the center.  These cases are (generally) going to be on DVDs that came out several years ago.  But, we are seeing more of those lightweight cases (the ones with the cut outs)....I don't trust these flimsy cases with just a paper wrapper.

Keep any mailers you receive, and recycle them for your next shipments.  If you want to buy them,  Dollar Tree and Family Dollar sell packs of 2 for $1.00.

DVD box sets - please - please - consider wrapping these in a cardboard box, or fashion a cardboard sleeve around it and then wrap it in  paper.  Depending on the box set (cardboard slip cases...instead of plastic) .....you may ship something in pristine condition, only to have (media mail) beat the heck out of it. 

An inexpensive food scale ($15) is going to help a great deal.  I found mine at Wal-Mart (I forget the brand, but the box says "Biggest Loser")....anyway, this is comparable to the postage machine at my work.

glowbird (Gloria B.)

Date Posted: 6/13/2015 2:36 AM ET

I use my scale every day, and you'd be surprised at the difference in weights of dvds.  I mail singles in a (recycled) bubble mailer.  Generally one dvd weighs 4 oz.  Cut out cases and Blu-rays sometimes are 3 oz.  BB cases weight 6 oz.  If you're mailing a 2-disc set they also weigh more.  The fun part is after you have the dvd in the envelope and weigh to purchase the postage, they generally gain weight.  After you tape on a label, they gain weight again, and this is why the scale comes in handy.  I mess around with different bubble mailers and various packaging tricks to keep that single dvd under 4 oz., but still packaged well to protect it.  First class mail generally arrives unscathed. 

If I am attentive, I look at the address to see how far the dvd is traveling.  If it's going across the country I do try to pay attention and have learned that the longer it is going to be in the mail I should try to do more to protect it, but that means it will weigh more.  The question then becomes do I print 1st class that costs more or go with media.  It's been trial and error to find out the best way to send a package depending on its destination.

Just weighing in on SWAPADVD wrapper: I loathe them. I always open them last because they're so darn hard to get into!   

Tom B.

Date Posted: 6/18/2015 11:38 AM ET

How does one get the address of the "receiver" of your dvd without printing a wrapper? I got my first "order" and I'm not sure how to proceed, not sure if I will be buying it online or just mailing it and paying for it at the post office.  I don't want to click "print wrapper" if I'm not going to use it (not sure if there's a charge to print the wrapper or if that step requires immediate postage payment.)  Seems it might be cheaper to mail it directly at the po since swapdvd states:

"The Printable Postage fee is 55 cents.
        This includes the cost paid to Endicia, our printable postage provider.
    The fee to USPS is 23 cents (for the electronic DC).
        Delivery Confirmation is required by USPS for all printable postage, so the option to print postage without DC is not available.
    The total cost is 78 cents."

Last Edited on: 6/18/15 11:42 AM EST - Total times edited: 1
TeaBea (Tracy B.)

Date Posted: 6/18/2015 12:16 PM ET

Tom -

When you print the wrapper you have 2 options: top & bottom (the middle option is greyed out).  You can print the wrapper multiple times.  It's a PDF file that you can print or save to your PC.

The top option gives you postage at the reduced (digital) rate and charges 55 cents for a confirmation fee.  This is a good value for orders with multiple credits.  It's kind of like insurance.  If your package goes lost in the mail, you still get credits.  The number of credits depends upon when it got lost.  If your packaged was scanned by the PO you get all your credits.  It's sometimes nice to have the credits sooner rather than later too.  I had a media mail package go lost around Christmas time.  It went lost before the post office scanned it in, so I only got 2 credits for the set.   My post office no longer sorts mail (ugh).  SWAP tracking is nice because the receiver sees it too.

The bottom option says something like "no additional service."   This is free to print.  When I use on-line postage (PayPal) I don't actually send the wrapper to the printer....I just use the PDF file.  This gives me the mailing and return addresses.  The recommended postage amount is for stamps (higher than digital).   Then I create my online postage by typing in the address info and the weight.   The receiver won't have the tracking info & neither does SWAP.  This is a 3rd party transaction.  If the package goes lost, your beef is with PayPal or whatever service you used.

Last Edited on: 6/18/15 12:32 PM EST - Total times edited: 4
Tom B.

Date Posted: 6/19/2015 5:48 PM ET

Thanks for the additional information, Tracy.  I did purchase the postage via swapadvd since it was a 5 dvd set however I noticed they have only so far credited me with 2 credits.  Will I get the other three when it's (A) scanned in by the po or (B) received by the trader?

redbusc (Lisa B.)

Date Posted: 6/19/2015 6:32 PM ET

Hi Tom, you will get the remaining 3 credits when the post office scans it.  (Sometimes it might take up to 24 hours, or at least over night.)

I use the site postage as well - I like getting the credits sooner, rather than later (waiting for receiver to mark them received) and being able to track the package.

Tom B.

Date Posted: 6/20/2015 12:36 PM ET

Thanks for the info, Lisa!

My local po does scan packages when I turn them in and I have the receipt for their scan earlier today however the USPS website does not show any new activity since I purchased the postage and label was created yesterday.  Hopefully it will update it before long.

Last Edited on: 6/20/15 4:03 PM EST - Total times edited: 1
Xiaojun X.

Subject: Edited by the SwapaDVD Team
Date Posted: 6/6/2018 12:41 AM ET
Edited by the SwapaDVD Team

Last Edited on: 6/8/18 9:59 AM EST - Total times edited: 0
King K.

Subject: Edited by the SwapaDVD Team
Date Posted: 8/21/2018 2:15 AM ET
Edited by the SwapaDVD Team

Last Edited on: 8/21/18 11:58 AM EST - Total times edited: 0