Discussion Forums - Questions about SwapaDVD

Topic: Receiver Won't Mark Received until it's Viewed? UPDATED

Club rule - Please, if you cannot be courteous and respectful, do not post in this forum.
MINI-NANA (Robin F.)

Subject: Receiver Won't Mark Received until it's Viewed? UPDATED
Date Posted: 3/8/2008 11:14 AM ET

I just PMed a person that I sent a DVD to and reminded them to mark it received since it was 5 days ago.

She respoded with "It was loose in the case and I want to view it first before I marked received..."

The question I have is this...if they wait to mark "received" and they already view it ...what is stopping the person from just marking it "problem" and there really being NO problem with it. My paranoia is kicking in, I know...LOL

I have been very lucky I guess that every one I have gotten...loose, scratches and all have had no problems. I always check the disc as soon as it arrives and note to the person and to the comment section that "it's scratched and/or will let you know if problem" AFTER I mark it received.

JUST a THOUGHT, not an accusation!

Last Edited on: 3/9/08 8:36 PM EST - Total times edited: 1
OmniDir (Dorothy P.)

Date Posted: 3/8/2008 9:11 PM ET

It would be nice to have a "you have to mark the DVD as received within * days of receipt" criteria.  It is not fair to hold your credit captive till they get around to viewing it.

I do all my DVds with online PBS postage so get immediate credit, but i know that is not the preference of most people.

GordonSetter (Denise B.)

Date Posted: 3/9/2008 10:04 AM ET

Not marking it rec'd until viewd is fine, IMO, but it should be done in the first day or two  -- MAX. Waiting 5 days or more is just rude.

I've only rec'd one dvd that was scratched enough to cause concern. I didn't want to actually "watch" it right then because it was a movie I'd already seen (owned VHS) but I did want to be sure it didn't skip or something.  I have a small portable player, so I plugged it on my desk and set it off to the side. I turned the volume all the way down. I made sure the movie was in my field of vision so I'd notice if it stopped or skipped, but I didn't actually watch it.

I read email and forums for a while, and when the movie was over, I marked it received.  Not everyone has a portable player, but even if you didn't want to or didn't have time to sit down and watch a movie, you can still play it in the background within hearing -- you'd notice if it stopped, or skipped, I think. You could even put one of the other languages on if you didn't want to hear "spoilers".

Five days is just rude. Also, being loose in the case doesn't automatically mean "scratched" either.  This might be a good time to remind everyone that a bit of folded tissue or bubblewrap inside the case (over the hub) is an excellent addition to your normal packaging routine.  :-)

MINI-NANA (Robin F.)

Date Posted: 3/9/2008 10:37 AM ET

I may have "missed" this one, but I always place tissue or something into the case. I don't trust the P.O. to be "gentle" that's for sure.

If the spindle is really tight [which I know this one was since it was opened new and viewed 1 time] I may let it slide...but NEVER AGAIN!!!

It's now been almost 7 days...which I think is ride too, but whatcha gon do??? LOL

I get instant credit when mailed, but could lose it if she decides to mark "problem" so I guess I'm just stuck holding my breath...hope I don't pass out!!!

Thanks for the replies folks!

Robey (Robey S.)

Date Posted: 3/9/2008 2:30 PM ET

Hey, Robin

I also think it's very rude to take so long to view a movie, I've had it happen to me here as well and it was very frusterating, however, since you've already recieved your credit, even if they do mark RWP, you won't loose it. Same goes for if they let it go lost. I checked the help center when it happened to me.

MINI-NANA (Robin F.)

Subject: UPDATE...
Date Posted: 3/9/2008 8:35 PM ET

It's FINALLY Been marked Received!

TY for your help

Dennis B.

Date Posted: 3/16/2008 4:13 PM ET

On the other side of the coin, I marked a DVD as received a week ago, only to find out when I tried to watch it today, the last 1/2 hour is unplayable.

KendraM (Kendra M.)

Date Posted: 3/16/2008 8:29 PM ET

Dennis, the same thing happened to me!

Robin, this has happened to me, too. I had to wait until the day it would have been marked lost for the person to mark it received.  I had posted about this, too.

The one time a disc I rec'd was unplayable and I had already marked it rec'd, the person was pretty nice and sent me a movie off his tower at his expense. Of course, he accused me of lying first, but I pointed out that if I was going to lie, I would have marked it rec'd with a problem rather than marking it received without a problem and then complaining later.

I rarely watch a movie the first day. I have way too many movies to watch and not enough time to watch them all. So, I mark them rec'd without a problem and hope for the best.  Even if I run into a dishonest person, it will have been the exception to the rule here, I think.

Cali (Cynthia M.)

Date Posted: 3/21/2008 9:13 AM ET

And this is all well and good for a single or 2 set DVD but what about boxed sets? I've had some that have 8 and 9 discs and even if I watched one every single day it would take me several weeks to view them all.

I've always marked them received *when* they were received but sadly I just had this happen: I received a 4 disk set (with a sida A and B on each by the way, so actually 8) and I marked it received. But now having just played side B of disk 2, one episode does not work. So now what?

Robey (Robey S.)

Date Posted: 3/21/2008 10:22 AM ET

I had a box set come that had six discs. On the last disc, it was scratched,  a lot, and I thought, great what now? I popped it in and tryed not to watch it, you know spoilers, but I ended giving up and just marked it recieved and hoped for the best. I would like to know if anyone has a solution to this problem, other then hoping the member is reasonable and will give you back credits should anything go wrong.

I cleaned and repaired the disc on my OptiFix at home and I didn't have any problems after all. Maybe try taking it down to a video store and have them repair the disc, my store only charges 1 or 2 dollars.

exercisegirl (Pam T.)

Date Posted: 3/25/2008 9:48 AM ET

What do you do if the person will not respond to you and they got the movie 6 days ago. They will not mark it received and will not respond back to my emails.  What's my next step in that case?  Thanks for the help

Dennis B.

Date Posted: 3/25/2008 9:55 AM ET

In a follow up to my earlier situation - the last 1/2 hour was unviewable - the sender had someone else send me a copy and I sent the damaged one back to them.  It cost me an extra postage, and I assume the original sender has access to repaitr equipment (he/she has a very large tower).

I was fortunate in that it was a fairly "inbalance" CD (supply = demand), so there was no real wait for a new copy, and once I watched the last 1/2 hour, I was able to ship it right back out.

MrsJames (Missy P.)

Date Posted: 3/25/2008 3:20 PM ET

What do you do if the person will not respond to you and they got the movie 6 days ago. They will not mark it received and will not respond back to my emails.  What's my next step in that case?  Thanks for the help

If it's been more than a week and the person has neither marked it received nor responded to you, send feedback to the site founders using the feedback link at the bottom of the page.  Not responding is not allowed.

Cali (Cynthia M.)

Date Posted: 3/25/2008 10:26 PM ET

Good question Missy! 

I'm wondering more what to do after (being the honest person I am) marked a box set received when it was, and now, approx. a month later, while viewing disk 2, find that it is damaged. I've messaged the sender,...very nicely, but haven't even recieved the courtesy of a reply.  =(

burielofmel (Jeff V.)

Date Posted: 3/28/2008 9:03 PM ET

Actually I ordered a LOST IN SPACE set which had a damaged disc one. The guy was nice and everything so I'm not saying anything bad. I marked it as rec. then later I noticed the defect in disc one. The thing is, I would have felt guilty reporting an 8 DVD set damaged because only two episodes wouldn't play all the way through. If I got a refund that would mean I would be getting 7 free perfectly good DVDS for free. That also seems unethical. At the same time I paid full price for a set with a damaged disc. From now  on I'm watching my DVDS before I mark rec. Even if its a box set and it takes me a week. I've marked several others as rec. with no problem only to find out later that there were defects and wouldn't play right. If I had reported every problem DVD I would have saved about 16 credits if you count the LOST IN SPACE (8) and a promotional screener of PLANET OF THE APES SERIES (4 credits). I just lost a movie and a credit because someone didn't mark it as rec. I don't think it was lost. I think someone lied so I lost my movie and the money I paid for postage so from now on, if I get a promotional screener or a defective disc I'm going to be ruthless and just report it as  it is. Damaged. After what just happened to me I wouldn't feel guilty anymore about reporting an 8 disc set like Lost In Space as damaged even if only one of the disc is defective.

vladadog (Jan H.)

Date Posted: 3/29/2008 8:50 AM ET

"I just lost a movie and a credit because someone didn't mark it as rec. I don't think it was lost. I think someone lied so I lost my movie and the money I paid for postage..."

Jeff, I'm curious why you think the person lied and that the movie wasn't actually lost?  I think we all kind of suspect or worry about that but the PO does lose things.

I mailed out about 50 books my first couple weeks at PBS and only one went lost (and I'm pretty sure it was lost because, feeling a bit like you did I would check the guy's WL every now and then and 6 months later he still has that book on his WL. So I'm going to guess the book really was lost.). Anyway, after that I started using DC. It costs a tiny bit more to mail but, especially with boxed sets of DVDs that's worth it. If they go lost, I still get my credit. If some joker gets them and doesn't mark them received, I still get my credit.

I love DC!

KendraM (Kendra M.)

Date Posted: 4/2/2008 1:36 AM ET

I've sent two things on pbs and cdswap (one each) that were lost but I still received my credit. Did this change?

vladadog (Jan H.)

Date Posted: 4/2/2008 8:21 AM ET

You receive the credit on SwapaCD when things go lost but not on PBS.

Mandie04 (Amanda L.)

Date Posted: 4/5/2008 4:14 PM ET

I'm having the same trouble.

ThorBarbarian (Thor B.)

Subject: How do I proceed?
Date Posted: 4/14/2008 6:56 PM ET

Dear Forum Members,

As per USPS Delivery Confirmation, a member received a DVD I sent  First Class on April 1st on April 4th. They have not yet marked it Received, nor have they contacted me with a problem. I bought the DVD at Blockbuster and watched it before posting it, it played fine.

I've sent the member e-mails, and have the stamped Delivery Confirmation receipt. How do I proceed with getting my point?

Joyous Journeys,

Thor