Discussion Forums - Questions about SwapaDVD

Topic: No dvd's posted

Club rule - Please, if you cannot be courteous and respectful, do not post in this forum.
Page:
debs (Debbie B.)

Subject: No dvd's posted
Date Posted: 3/18/2008 9:30 AM ET

Sorry, I looked this up in the Help and couldn't find the answer...

I'm a member at PaperbackSwap and have quite a few credits.  There are three DVDs that I really want, but I don't have any DVD's to swap. 

This is what I was planning on doing:  I put the three DVDs onto my wishlist.  When they come available (48 hour hold) I was planning on transferring the credits to SwapADvd, so I can order them.

Will I be able to do this, even though I have not posted any DVD's?

Thanks, Deb

Robey (Robey S.)

Date Posted: 3/18/2008 9:46 AM ET

"Will I be able to do this, even though I have not posted any DVD's?"

yes!

Last Edited on: 3/18/08 9:59 AM EST - Total times edited: 1
debs (Debbie B.)

Date Posted: 3/18/2008 11:28 AM ET

thanks, Robey!

sophiasapientia (Shannon F.)

Date Posted: 3/18/2008 12:35 PM ET

From what I understand, you need to have received at least one DVD before you can transfer credits between the sites. So, if you haven't done so already, you may need to buy one credit, order a DVD and mark it received, in order to get started.

I'm not sure about this, though.

In order to transfer your initial credits on PaperBackSwap and SwapaDVD, you will have to have received at least one book in the mail first. This is because the initial free credits we give are gifts to encourage members to try out the site. We do not intend for the free credits just to be used on our other sites.

Last Edited on: 3/18/08 12:48 PM EST - Total times edited: 2
Tizmo (Victor T.)

Date Posted: 3/18/2008 1:57 PM ET

In order to transfer your initial credits on PaperBackSwap and SwapaDVD, you will have to have received at least one book in the mail first. This is because the initial free credits we give are gifts to encourage members to try out the site. We do not intend for the free credits just to be used on our other sites.

This is talking about the initial free credit you get for posting your first ten.

debs (Debbie B.)

Date Posted: 3/18/2008 2:00 PM ET

whew.  Got me worried for a moment.  I've been a member of PBS for a couple of years, so that won't be an issue.

Thanks for the clarification.

Date Posted: 3/18/2008 2:32 PM ET

You know, I actually don't think it would be a bad thing if the site owners made it a little more difficult for folks to transfer credits initially so members were encouraged to contribute movies/sets to the system. The site seems to be a little stagnant.

coolweather (Marie B.)

Date Posted: 3/18/2008 4:06 PM ET

IMHO it's because of the set-up of the wait list.  SwapaCD uses the same system and saying it's stagnant would be generous. PBS (at least now uses FIFO) and it's still growing!!

Tizmo (Victor T.)

Date Posted: 3/18/2008 4:16 PM ET

This discussion has been overdone, but here is my opinion:

This waiting list system is much more fair.  I signed up the 1st day with FIFO I could have listed 1000 DVDs and been ahead of everyone that signed up later.

Date Posted: 3/18/2008 4:31 PM ET

I just wonder what could been done to encourage folks to post desirable movies and sets.

I do think that the lack of activity begets lack of activity. I have a large credit excess and, though I did post 4 WL sets over the weekend,  I have little inclination to add anything further to my Tower until I receive more items from my WL. I have a desirable complete series boxset that I'll be ready to pass along at some point but unless there is a change, I'll probably sell it and use the money to buy items from my WL. I certainly don't need the credits.

Tizmo (Victor T.)

Date Posted: 3/18/2008 4:39 PM ET

Maybe they could make the # of credits higher depending on the # of people's wishlist it is on. 

If it is a 5 disc set and 10 people want it add a credit.  Make it woth 6 credits, 20 people want it make it 7 credits.  I think that would limit the people wishlisting it and only the ones that want it bad enough would get it, and it would encourage more people to list those sets!

Robey (Robey S.)

Date Posted: 3/18/2008 5:18 PM ET

"I'll probably sell it and use the money to buy items from my WL."

I do this a lot actually, because, I've had boxed sets on my WL forever, (or so it seems.) I got lucky getting a whole series when the site first started, but since then, nothing. I actually sold a bunch of credits and then used that money to get WL'd box sets. It seems kind of pointless to have credits sitting when I'm not getting my WL'd items.

Date Posted: 3/18/2008 5:27 PM ET

It seems kind of pointless to have credits sitting when I'm not getting my WL'd items.

I agree Robey. If I posted this set, I'd have around 80 credits! Way too many given the current level of WL movement ... I still think this site is great. I just wish there was more activity.

Kitkat222 (Colleen E.)

Date Posted: 3/18/2008 6:03 PM ET

I posted a bunch of my TV show box sets, and most were requested right away so I have a bunch of credits to use.   So far, I have received only one box set in return.  But I am ok with that and I will continue to post new DVDs without hesistation. 

My view is that adding these WL items has to start somewhere, and I guess it will be with me.  Sure, I may have to wait a long time for everyone else to do the same, but that's a chance I'm willing to take in order to help this site grow.  The more of us who join in doing so, the more people will see that they can get these highly desired items, and so they in turn will start posting the WL DVDs they have sitting around.  This site is still fairly new and we have a great chance to help shape what it will become.  However, if we all just wait for someone else to start posting their "good stuff" nothing is ever going to change.

Last Edited on: 3/18/08 6:08 PM EST - Total times edited: 1

Date Posted: 3/18/2008 6:36 PM ET

That's a good attitude Colleen. I do agree that we need to do our part to help get things moving. And I have sent out  many WL DVDs, a good number of them TV boxsets ... But  I just can't justify spending much more money on postage when I have $250 worth of credits sitting there. There's a point where it doesn't make sense for my family economically.

twintoni (Toni B.)

Date Posted: 3/18/2008 6:54 PM ET

Victor, you can't be serious!  Do I misunderstand your idea to have members bid on DVD's based on how many of us have it on our wishlist? That seems too much like ebay and is totally unfair to members who keep enough credits on hand to get their wishlisted DVDs and have the patience to wait for them.

I cannot see that working on any level! Tell me if I am mis-reading your post.

mommyof2girls (April W.)

Date Posted: 3/18/2008 7:16 PM ET

I think Victor was talking about a program being implemented by the site that ups the credits something costs depending on how many wishers there are for it, not a bidding sort of thing.  That's the way I took it anyway...

Tizmo (Victor T.)

Date Posted: 3/18/2008 7:23 PM ET

That's what I was saying April! I do not what it to turn to a bidding war.  If the movie is in high demand the site could put a premium on it.

twintoni (Toni B.)

Date Posted: 3/18/2008 7:26 PM ET

So if a DVD has 2 discs and is on the wishlist of 50 members it would swap for the highest number of credits one of those members  offered? Sounds like a bidding war to me. Or do you think the club should set limits based on the number of wishers?

I truly do not understand.......tell me more about this plan.

burielofmel (Jeff V.)

Date Posted: 3/18/2008 8:31 PM ET

I must be lucky. I see quite a few people complaining about the wishlist. I think it works GREAT! I can hardly keep enough credits for all the wishlists stuff that comes up on my list. I usually have 1 or 2 wishes granted per week. I once had to pass on a I DREAM OF JEANNIE set because I couldn't keep up with the onslaught of granted wishes.

Do I make you nauseous?   : )

patticom (Patricia F.)

Date Posted: 3/19/2008 10:06 AM ET

I think the best way to make this site grow is to tell people about it and get more people on it!!  ;) 

Personally I can only see two other ways that might encourage more dvd's to be posted... limiting how many dvd's you can get without posting *something* on the site in return, and permitting Requestor Conditions.  Requiring more credits for "desirable" films would defeat the purpose of the swap system.

Guinan (Tammy T.)

Date Posted: 3/19/2008 11:55 AM ET

I signed up the 1st day with FIFO I could have listed 1000 DVDs and been ahead of everyone that signed up later.

I don't think that is completely correct... the only way you could end up remaining that far ahead of everyone else is if you ranked all those movies at #1, and you can't.  SO if I listed amovie #1000 and I ranked it #1, I would eventually catch up and pass you out because you are not earning the same amt of points at #1000 as I am at #1.  Or so ranking has been explained to me, other wise it would be no more fair or unfair than FIFO.

The site is seemingly stagnant because people aren't posting as much.  Slow WL movement has something to do with it.  I have one WL movie, and I've posted 11 movies, received 5.  I am not inclined to post anymore right now because there seems to be a large quanity of copies I do have not moving.

I'm not sure if there is a solution, could just be the fact that while not many people re-read books and are more willing to trade them away, many do re-watch movies and it takes longer for them to get to a point where they are willing to swap.  I belong to blockbuster online, which is for the money a better deal for me right now.

Tizmo (Victor T.)

Date Posted: 3/19/2008 11:59 AM ET

I don't think that is completely correct... the only way you could end up remaining that far ahead of everyone else is if you ranked all those movies at #1, and you can't. 

That is correct with the current system, but with FIFO I would have stayed 1st in line on all of them!

Chris D.

Date Posted: 3/19/2008 1:10 PM ET

I just want to see something from my wish list come in.  I have credits, but no movies coming my way.

burielofmel (Jeff V.)

Date Posted: 3/20/2008 12:33 AM ET

I see Robey changed her a cat to the girl from Alias.

I just want to see something from my wish list come in.  I have credits, but no movies coming my way- Chris D

Chris, you could increase your chances by adding widescreen editions instead of just full unless you're one of those people who just doesn't like the black bars on widescreen movies.

Last Edited on: 3/20/08 12:36 AM EST - Total times edited: 2

Page: