Discussion Forums - Questions about SwapaDVD

Topic: No dvd's posted

Club rule - Please, if you cannot be courteous and respectful, do not post in this forum.
Page:
GordonSetter (Denise B.)

Date Posted: 3/20/2008 8:38 AM ET

I've had two wishes granted this week. One hasn't arrived yet. The one that did arrive -- didn't actually arrive!  The sender must have had two going out at the same time and the packaging got swapped.  I received the wrong movie, and I assume the other person got mine.

The weird thing is that I've not gotten a PM from the sender about it.  I'd expect him to explain, offer us each a credit for swapping, or something.  I don't know if I should go ahead and post the movie (it's WL) or not. I checked the help docs and I don't really see anything specific for what to do in this situation.  I went to second place in line for my movie, so I'd guess the same thing happened to the other person.

twintoni (Toni B.)

Date Posted: 3/20/2008 2:23 PM ET

pm the sender.....he/she probably does not know the packages were switched.  The only way to solve this fairly is for you to send the DVD to the correct member and that member does the same for you. However, the original sender would have to buddy you a credit to make up for the postage you are out for re-sending it.

So if the original sender is not willintg to do that, you should mark it as RECEIVED BUT WITH A PROBLEM so you can get your credit back and you should go back to number one on your wishlist. And you can keep the wrong DVD.

Hope you get it worked out......that has happened to me before so I know what you are going through.

exm8000 (Ken S.)

Date Posted: 3/20/2008 9:24 PM ET

As a matter of getting WL items and encouraging peeps to post 'em - Victor's idea rocks! 

For folks with a surplus of credits and nothing coming in through the WL - it works. For folks with few credits it offers a oportunity to get more credits for high demand items - it works. For folks who just like to wait it out - well, let 'em wait it out then, again it works. Who would it not work for?

If not through the system, then let us make offers through the bazaar.

patticom (Patricia F.)

Date Posted: 3/21/2008 3:12 AM ET

See, I totally disagree with requiring more credits, because that opens a can of worms and creates a "highest bidder" approach that is not what the site creators intended.  People have suggested that on PBS also, but it just gets too complicated trying to judge what is "more valuable" and what isn't and if people want it that badly and are willing to pay more there's always ebay and amazon marketplace and half.com and other places like that... if you are paying more credits then you are paying then it works out the same prices anyway (based on buying credits). 

The only thing I'd like to see them allow (which they do not) is the OFFER of direct one-to-one swap of WL movies on the bazaar.  Those who prefer the system or don't want to mess with boards can still use the normal WL, and if/when/as the site grows their films will eventually come through... allowing direct swaps might even work to get MORE movies in the system for those people who want the highly WL movies just to watch and move along, not keep.  But if you have a copy of an obscure or Disney movie that you *might* be willing to part with but are hesitant to trade your pristine copy of Disney's Beauty and the Beast for a beat-up last-possible-viewing former-rental copy of something old and less desirable with 50 copies in the system.... you'd have the option to ASK on the Bazaar if someone would be willing to trade it directly for "Martian Amazon Women fight the Killer Tomatoes" that you really want (and yes I made that up LOL--trying to think of a title that sounded "obscure" and hard to find).  :)  KWIM?

(And no I do not have B&theB, sorry LOL--I actually used to have it, but someone local offered me $20 for it so I sold it rather than trade it for something less desirable on here--case in point.)

Cali (Cynthia M.)

Subject: Boxed sets
Date Posted: 3/21/2008 8:48 AM ET

All I know is things are definitely stagnant here!  =( Especially with boxed sets or Season sets.

I've been #1/any number of people Wish Listed  for several things and it still says what it did from day 1 months ago: "2 week wait."  Yet, NOTHING is moving!  And I've seen where people have ordered boxed sets...only to keep them. That totally kills the swapping and movement.

Since this site is much smaller than PBS I would rather see something like this implemented: The first copy of something (including boxed sets) that comes into the system should be marked "System Copy" or "Library Copy" if you will, and only available for swapping. Any set listed after that is up for grabs. That way there is always a copy at least available to check in and out.

There are even discussions in the forums where people have stated they came here only to pick up a certain boxed set[s ] and that's all they wanted. So many of us have been able to swap/see a season here or a season there but will never be able to see a complete set unless a new one is added to the system. And with the price of boxed sets, or shows that have quite a few seasons, it's no wonder they are being scooped up...and kept.  =(

Just a thought...

Robey (Robey S.)

Date Posted: 3/21/2008 10:39 AM ET

"I see Robey changed her a cat to the girl from Alias."

*hijacking this thread to say*

Yes! Cuz the girl from Alias kicks a$$! ;)

sophiasapientia (Shannon F.)

Date Posted: 3/21/2008 4:13 PM ET

ITA with Patricia. I agree that it would be too complicated to require more credits for certain DVDs but I do wish they allowed direct trades via the Bazaar. If folks posted directly to each other's WLs, it would keep the credits within the system and protect those making the transaction but it would give folks more incentive to share desirable DVDs and sets.

Last Edited on: 3/21/08 4:16 PM EST - Total times edited: 1
patticom (Patricia F.)

Date Posted: 3/21/2008 4:29 PM ET

Cali, I think your idea is BRILLIANT and I'm going to post a separate thread about it!!  :)

Cali (Cynthia M.)

Date Posted: 3/21/2008 7:18 PM ET

Thanks Patricia!  I also forwarded it in as a suggestion. Cross our fingers.  =)

Cheers!

OmniDir (Dorothy P.)

Date Posted: 3/21/2008 8:53 PM ET

I got two boxed sets in the mail today.. NYPD Blue season 4 and St Elsewhere. 

I have also posted multiple box sets here... Monk 1-4, The Closer, Stargate Atlantas Season 1, West Wing Season 3 and lots more.

GearMaven (Jan H.)

Date Posted: 3/23/2008 4:44 PM ET

"I'm not sure if there is a solution, could just be the fact that while not many people re-read books and are more willing to trade them away, many do re-watch movies and it takes longer for them to get to a point where they are willing to swap."

I believe this is the true issue. As different from many of you who seem to have huge collections of movies at home, many people that I know don't buy DVDs/videos at all unless they want to keep them for their home collection. I've never bought a DVD/Video I didn't plan to keep, so my movie library is very, very small. Additionally, as reporting grows as to the health problems with children viewing hours of TV/videos, more and more parents are not buying children's movies either but returning to books and audio CDs. Then there are the bootleggers, who rent movies and make copies for all their friends.  I think all of these cut into the availability of DVDs to swap.

Book are so available through discount and second-hand bookstores, thrift stores, Costco, Freecycle, etc., it makes it easy to acquire huge collections without much money for trading on PBS. Bags and bags of paperbacks and hardbacks are given away on our Freecycle network here all the time.

Perhaps when the changeover to Blue Ray discs comes about more widely, more and more of the regular DVDs will be available.

Page: