Discussion Forums - Questions about SwapaDVD

Topic: Why is the selection here almost nothing?

Club rule - Please, if you cannot be courteous and respectful, do not post in this forum.
Susan W.

Subject: Why is the selection here almost nothing?
Date Posted: 2/23/2018 1:01 AM ET

I posted several DVDs and have sent enough to have 17 credits but there's nothing to request.  I sat down with a long, long list of old and new movies and found 0 of them.  I can wiat for them but I'd say that would be totally fruitless as nothing I've gotten on a list for has come up yet.  Has this place always been so dead?   I'm really mostly cusious as PBS has mostly died since they charge 20 bucks a year  so you don't have to pay extra fpor every swap.

musiclover (Valerie L.)

Date Posted: 2/23/2018 11:31 AM ET

Susan, I know what you mean except in the exact opposite.  When I joined SwapaDVD there were lot's of movies available that I wanted to order.  When I joined Paperbackswap there were no classic books and no new books I wanted available to order.   I did the usual and put them on my wishlist.

There is a 49cent fee every time you order a DVD so you have to put money in your SwapMoney account.

Blu-rays are 2 credits per disc.  Blu-ray combo pack containing 2 discs = 4 credits. 

I searched for available films from MGM.

Here are some MGM films:  unfortunately the pictures did not transfer for me so I hand edited the first one.  

Some Like It Hot

Some Like It Hot (2001) NR

Actors: Marilyn Monroe, Tony Curtis, Jack Lemmon

Director: Billy Wilder

Genres: Indie & Art House, Comedy

SwapaDVD Credits: 1

The Manchurian Candidate (1998) PG-13

Actors: Frank Sinatra, Laurence Harvey, Janet Leigh

Director: John Frankenheimer

Genres: Drama, Mystery & Suspense, Military & War

The Manchurian Candidate (Special Edition) (2004) PG-13

Actors: Frank Sinatra, Laurence Harvey, Janet Leigh

Director: John Frankenheimer

Genres: Classics, Drama, Mystery & Suspense, Military & War

The Great Escape (1998) Unrated

Actors: Steve McQueen, James Garner, Richard Attenborough

Genres: Action & Adventure, Kids & Family, Military & War

The Good, the Bad and the Ugly (1998) R

Actors: Clint Eastwood, Eli Wallach, Lee Van Cleef

Director: Sergio Leone

Genres: Westerns, Indie & Art House, Cult Movies

A Fistful of Dollars (1999) R

Actors: Clint Eastwood, Gian Maria Volonté, Marianne Koch

Directors: Monte Hellman, Sergio Leone

Genres: Action & Adventure, Westerns, Indie & Art House, Cult Movies

The Clint Eastwood Star Collection (Fistful of Dollars / For A Few Dollars More / The Good, The Bad and The Ugly / Hang 'em High) (2009) Unrated

Genres: Action & Adventure, Westerns, Drama

SwapaDVD Credits: 4

From Russia with Love (Two-Disc Ultimate Edition) (2008) PG

Actors: Pedro Armendriz, Peter Bayliss, Martine Beswicke

Genres: Action & Adventure, Indie & Art House, Drama

SwapaDVD Credits: 2

Goldfinger (0)

Dr. No (2015) PG

Actors: Sean Connery, Joseph Wiseman

The Graduate (Special Edition) (1999) PG

Actors: Dustin Hoffman, Anne Bancroft, Katharine Ross

Director: Mike Nichols

Genres: Comedy, Drama

Midnight Cowboy (Two Disc Collector's Edition) (2006) R

Actors: Dustin Hoffman, Jon Voight, Sylvia Miles

Genres: Indie & Art House, Drama

LAST OF THE MOHICANS (0) R

Actor: LAST OF THE MOHICANS

Genres: Action & Adventure, Drama

Rob Roy (1997) R

Actors: Liam Neeson, Jessica Lange, John Hurt

Director: Michael Caton-Jones

Genres: Action & Adventure, Drama, Military & 

The Usual Suspects (2006) R

Actors: Kevin Spacey, Gabriel Byrne, Chazz Palminteri

Director: Bryan Singer

Genres: Action & Adventure, Mystery & Suspense

The Princess Bride (2000) PG

Actors: Cary Elwes, Mandy Patinkin, Robin Wright

Director: Rob Reiner

Genres: Action & Adventure, Comedy, Kids & Family, Science Fiction & Fantasy

Battle of Britain (Collector's Edition) (2005) G

Actors: Michael Caine, Trevor Howard, Harry Andrews

Director: Guy Hamilton

Genres: Action & Adventure, Indie & Art House, Classics, Drama, Educational, Military & War

Blu-rays  are 2 credits per disc in the set.  2 Disc combo pack is 4 credits etc.  

The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey (Blu-ray) Ian McKellen (Actor), Martin Freeman (Actor), Peter Jackson (Director) (0)

SwapaDVD Credits: 6

RoboCop [Blu-ray] (2014) PG-13

Actors: Joel Kinnaman, Gary Oldman, Michael Keaton

Director: José Padilha

SwapaDVD Credits: 4

West Side Story: 50th Anniversary Edition [Blu-ray] (2011) NR

Actors: Natalie Wood, George Chakiris, Richard Beymer

Directors: Jerome Robbins, Robert Wise

SwapaDVD Credits: 6

Last Edited on: 2/23/18 11:40 AM EST - Total times edited: 5
glowbird (Gloria B.)

Date Posted: 2/23/2018 2:26 PM ET

You  might check in the February Wishlist Multiples.  Or you might also post in the Bazaar for any that are not wishlisted.  We aren't allowed to post in the bazaar for wishlisted titles, but you can if specify that you are looking for "unpostables."

I only see one title on your WL.  You should add all of your titles to your wishlist in order of what is most wanted.

Last Edited on: 2/23/18 2:28 PM EST - Total times edited: 1
KathrynBlodgett (Kathryn B.)

Date Posted: 2/24/2018 9:40 AM ET

you can also check out the games forum and trade wishlisted items! I get several dvds posted to my wishlist every year, but a lot of what i get comes from actively trying to obtain titles (watching the bazaar for multiples/unpostables and playing in the games) instead of passively (waiting for something to become available)

Advertisement (Bret H.)

Date Posted: 2/24/2018 11:51 AM ET

Hi Susan,

I'm sorry none of the books on your list were immediately available.

I wouldn't call the selection here almost nothing, the "pulse of swapadvd" link (bottom of the page) reports that there are over 20,000 distinct titles available.  I don't know of any place with a better selection outside of Amazon and Ebay.  My understanding is that the old Blockbuster rental stores typically carried around 6,500 titles.  The best of my local thrift stores rarely has over 200.
This place has been more lively in the past*, but I think it is far from dead - I've received 20 items since the beginning of the year.  I think the trick to being happy with SwapADVD is to recognize its strengths and use them.   The two main strengths are the browsability of the available titles and the wishlist for unavailable titles.  Over ~10 years, I've received over 1,000 titles.  Most of these I found from browsing available titles. From any given listing, you can usually click on links to find other movies with the same genre, actors, directors, or studio; you can find movies dubbed into the same language, there is often a list of other suggested "similar" titles.  The browsing functionality is far better than on amazon.  If you can't find anything at all that is currently available that you want to see by browsing, then you probably aren't going to be happy here - and I'd recommend against accumulating any more credits.

The other strength is the wishlist.  If you want a particular title and find it isn't currently available, it takes just 2 more clicks to put it on your list.  There is no limit to the number of titles on your list (my list is 1,600+).  You then don't have to worry about it again, the process is automated - if the title becomes available the site will let you know.  You can even automate acceptance of the offer.  We don't have control over what titles other members will post, but the wishlist works tirelessly in the background and every now and then results in a pleasent surprise in the mailbox.  Putting titles on the wishlist may seem fruitless (my wishlist includes titles that I added over 10 years ago, but I've also received several hundred titles that I've put on the list). The wishlist is not a guarantee of fruit, but not using it really is guaranteed to be fruitless.

*I think there are a number of reasons why the site is not as lively:
More people getting content by streaming
Increased cost of postage
Conversion of the site from totally free to small transaction fee (I miss it being free, but I think the fees are reasonable, not everyone does)
Limit on the sales price of credits.

Cheers,
-bret

musiclover (Valerie L.)

Date Posted: 2/24/2018 2:08 PM ET

Also the wishlist works differently here on SwapaDVD.

The Wish List has been designed with the goal of streamlining the fulfillment of wishes while providing a more equal opportunity for new and seasoned members alike to receive the DVDs they want.

You put titles on your wishlist and earn points on how you rank items.  

The number 1 spot earns the most points each day.  You can pass other wishers over time if they have it ranked lower on their wishlist.  This gives new members a chance instead of forever being stuck at the end of the line. 

aylamonster (Shellie F.)

Date Posted: 2/24/2018 4:17 PM ET

Not to mention the friendly, helpful members on this site!!!  laugh yes

Utwig (Erik F.)

Date Posted: 2/25/2018 2:10 PM ET

I can't speak for all movies, but I know some crazy person has been ordering every single copy of A Sloth Named Velcro before anyone ever has a shot at a copy. 

bluebolt7 (James P.)

Date Posted: 2/25/2018 3:37 PM ET

I often buy mixed lots of classic film DVDs on eBay hoping to fill holes in my collection. I almost always get a few that are duplicates of ones already in my collection. I always list those duplicates here and unless they are common titles like public domain films, they almost always go away quickly to someone who has it on their want list. I've received four or five of my want list DVDs in the last couple of months. I think to get the best use of the site you need to have a fairly large want list and you need to be patient.

Last Edited on: 2/25/18 3:37 PM EST - Total times edited: 1
foxhack (David S.)

Date Posted: 2/26/2018 3:24 PM ET

I know the selection seems like it sucks, but it depends on what kind of movies you're looking for.

I personally go for absolute trash that almost no one wants, stuff that's common but too expensive to order online. I also have a few movies that are relatively scarce but show up here every few months. I also love to check people's towers to get more than one item on the site, but the way the site is organized makes it difficult to do that unless people actually post on the forum.

I had no idea PBS had gone to a $20/year model... glad I stuck by CD and DVD.

Last Edited on: 2/26/18 3:26 PM EST - Total times edited: 1
Sue Y.

Date Posted: 2/27/2018 3:25 PM ET

One item's Bret H. left off of his list of why the site isn't as lively as it once was is the rapidly decreasing value of DVDs and even Blu-rays. I live in an area with many thrift stores, flea markets, a BuyBacks, and a couple of Half Price Books. I can buy most common DVDs for as little as $1 each, and Blu-rays are getting down to as little as $4 each. Unless I get a WLed movie or multiple movies per credit through the Bazaar, it often isn't worth it to request a movie from the site.

Saying one needs to put a movie on their Wishlist and be patient is right. I've had movies on my list for years without seeing any movement. Some movies apparently just don't go through the regular system. It would be interesting to see the statistics on how many WLed movies actually go through the system and how many go through a "WL multiples" post in the Bazaar.

I rarely list movies here any more because I have several credits and don't want or need to bank more. I received most of my credits from book requests on PBS and can move them here if needed.

glowbird (Gloria B.)

Date Posted: 3/2/2018 1:15 PM ET

I check DVDs Posted Today daily, sometimes twice a day, and it never fails that something I've wanted has been posted.  The other day I saw both  seasons of  Grace and Frankie: Season 1 [DVD + Digital]Grace And Frankie: Season 2.  Today I saw these posted: Under the Dome: Season 3  & Treme: The Complete Fourth Season!  This last has been on my WL for quite awhile.  Mostly I look at box sets, but am upgrading keepers to Blu-ray so that would include some older movies.  I keep an ongoing WL and stay on top of it. 

But to get the most out of this site you have to be active.  Join a game, make buddies, check out the WL Multiples thread (which is where I go to order frequently), read and respond to forum posts. Most of the movies that I receive from here come from people in games or in the Multiples thread.

Sue, you wrote It would be interesting to see the statistics on how many WLed movies actually go through the system and how many go through a "WL multiples" post in the Bazaar.  Titles in the Multiples thread do go through the system.  It says in the rules that everything postable must have a footprint.

Last Edited on: 3/3/18 12:23 AM EST - Total times edited: 5
Sue Y.

Date Posted: 3/6/2018 10:04 PM ET

My question was how many Wishlisted movies are exchanged through the regular system VERSUS how many Wishlisted movies are exchanged through the Bazaar. e.g. If 5 copies of Wonder Woman were exchanged last year, did 1 of them go to the top person on the regular Wishlist queue and 4 get exchanged through the WL Multiples post in the Bazaar? If so, the WL system is seriously being circumvented.

I've been #1 in the queue for several movies for a long time and I would hate to find out that I've missed more than a few copies because they all went to the WL Multiples Post instead of being entered in the regular system.

I've found a few of my WLed movies in the Multiples Post, but I often couldn't find enough other movies to meet the Poster's required minimum order.

Tony, Sue's husband

Utwig (Erik F.)

Date Posted: 3/7/2018 5:33 AM ET

I've been first in line for Flashfire since the Paul Martin Administration, part of me feels as if its a cover-up and conspiracy, but part of me, the logical part, tells me I should expect as much from a Billy Zane and Louis Gossett Jr. vehicle. With only a small jpeg of the movie cover with no plot description, I can see why others would be inclined to scoop up this gem up. If any ever sees a copy on the WL Multiples, I hope they are kind enough to send me a PM, as I will order ten other movies I don't care for solely to get this Trimark wonder, as Police detective Jack Flinder (Billy Zane) is already in trouble with the rest of his force for imprisoning a corrupt partner, but now he has a new problem to deal with. Things get much worse from there. IMDB, why must you tug at my heart strings with such masterful descriptions of cinematic gold.