Discussion Forums - Questions about SwapaDVD

Topic: DVD Bazaar / credit deal question

Club rule - Please, if you cannot be courteous and respectful, do not post in this forum.
foxhack (David S.)

Subject: DVD Bazaar / credit deal question
Date Posted: 2/6/2023 2:12 AM ET

I have a bunch of multiple disc DVD sets that I want to trade out to people, but their condition isn't perfect (or it's sets that are good but want to move for cheap / as a deal), so I don't feel like asking for the full credit amount would be fair. So I want to make a thread where I post these discs, explaining the issues, but I'm not sure how to proceed with the trade (so I don't break the rules.)

Am I supposed to ask that people post the request for the full credit value, and when the item is received, I buddy them the credits? For example, I have a DVD set with eight discs, and I want to post it for five because one disc has moderate scratches and the case is busted. So I'd post it, someone requests it, I post it directly to their wish list, and send the item. So when the item is received and I get the credits, I buddy the difference back. Is that allowed?

Sorry, I've been gone from the site for a while, and want to make sure I don't break a rule without meaning to. Thanks.

Advertisement (Bret H.)

Date Posted: 2/6/2023 5:28 PM ET

An approach I sometimes take is to post something that is worth the discounted number of credits but has multiple copies posted and ask the requestor to order that off my shelf and I will send them the item I'm offering instead.  As long as we both agree that is what will be done, it has worked fine.  I think the main principle is that something should be formally requested through the site to make a record of the transaction and provide the site it's small fee to help it continue operations.

Kevin R.

Date Posted: 2/8/2023 6:55 PM ET

Bret: I think doing that is contrary to what the official request process and automatic tracking of inventory is intended for. It seems that "Request Title X through the system and I'll tell the system that I sent you Title X but I will really send you Title Y instead" would just open things up for various kinds of errors/problems.

Isn't the Bazaar something that was set up exactly for this kind of situation (wanting to offer something for a discount)?

aylamonster (Shellie F.)

Date Posted: 2/10/2023 12:25 PM ET

David if one of your sets has a disc with some scratches, you can consider it unpostable and offer it in the bazaar for the number of credits you deem fit. 

Another way people offer discounts is to say buy one, get one free. You can make a list or you can say for your whole shelf. Say someone wants a 4 and a 6 credit set, you can have them order the 6 credit set and send the 4 credit along for free. This does at least get the site one fee for the swap.

Advertisement (Bret H.)

Date Posted: 2/13/2023 12:58 PM ET

Kevin: "Isn't the Bazaar something that was set up exactly for this kind of situation (wanting to offer something for a discount)?"

Yes, and I believe that when David said "I want to make a thread", he meant in the Bazaar.  The question isn't how to offer
a discount, it is how to actually implement it in a convenient way.  Having someone request it for full credits and then giving them
the discount after they receive it has a few issues, like the requestor has to have the full price up front, and the sender has
to remember about the discount.  Having the requestor gift the credits has issues if the item gets lost in the mail - and doesn't
generate a fee for the site.  Using a substitute item has been the most trouble-free method I've come up with.  I'm curious about 
the details on what errors/problems you think it might cause.

glowbird (Gloria B.)

Date Posted: 2/16/2023 3:17 PM ET

I would post in the Bazzar at reduced credits.  Requestor would buddy credits.  

If you look at the top of the Bazaar somewhere it does say that transactions are at your own risk--meaning swap cannot track these trades.  I've never had an issue with posting reduced credit deals.  

The only instance I've done a substitution was when an order was marked mailed and then could not find one of the dvds of the order.  I spent days searching, and gave up, and offered credit return or alternate.  The thing about doing that is the recipient might not mark the substituite as received--although the replacement did arrive. I've never had that happen, but it surely could.