Discussion Forums - Questions about SwapaDVD

Topic: More Flexibility in UPC Posting

Club rule - Please, if you cannot be courteous and respectful, do not post in this forum.
BettySunshine (Betty T.)

Subject: More Flexibility in UPC Posting
Date Posted: 9/1/2008 3:23 PM ET

I have two DVDs to swap that people want but cannot post them becasue my UPCs are not recognized. This site needs the same ability that PaperbackSwap has to post directly when you search for a book and can post it then. I have "Colombian Love" which I bought in Israel but is NTSC format so acceptable for swap. I also have "Noise" but it was received as part of Film Movement's DVD Club so has a different UPC than the ones bought in the stores.  Four people currently want "Colombian Love" and one wants "Noise" but I can't post them.

SwapaGoat (Alex D.)

Date Posted: 9/1/2008 6:04 PM ET

DVD Bazaar.  That's how you can post them.

yibyab (Bob S.)

Date Posted: 9/6/2008 11:28 AM ET

I agree with the opening post.

I have a widescreen+fullscreen version of John Carpenter's 1984 film "Starman" that 3 people are wishing and no one has listed, but when I punch in the UPC to see about posting it, the database selects only a fullscreen version which currently has a couple of copies posted and no one currently wishing.

I couldn't figure out any way around the obstacle.  It looks like there's no way to post the 2-sided version that includes a widescreen play. 

I've been participating in SwapaCD a bit, and what I prefer to do there is search on a title that I possess and am considering trading to see how many copies are posted or how many are wishing for it before posting. That site provides a function to "Post this CD" from the search result.  I don't know why SwapaDVD doesn't provide the same button choice. I think they should.

Last Edited on: 9/6/08 11:29 AM EST - Total times edited: 1
Elaureth (Kerry L.)

Date Posted: 9/8/2008 12:05 PM ET

I've been participating in SwapaCD a bit, and what I prefer to do there is search on a title that I possess and am considering trading to see how many copies are posted or how many are wishing for it before posting. That site provides a function to "Post this CD" from the search result.  I don't know why SwapaDVD doesn't provide the same button choice. I think they should.

Probably because there are so many different versions of DVDs out there that are each slightly different.  Too many people would look at a DVD and say, "That's what I've got!" and post it . . . not noticing that theirs is fullscreen, not widescreen, or that it's one-disc versus two-disc, or it isn't the Collector's Edition with special audio commentary, or whatever.  Going strictly by UPC makes sure that people only post the actual version they have, not something that looks a lot like it.  And it prevents picky 'buyers' (like me!) getting stuck with the version they didn't want and all the hassle that goes with correcting that mistake.

Sure, it's kind of a pain when your UPC doesn't show up in the system, or shows up with incorrect information, but those kind of glitches are in the minority.  All you can do then is contact The Powers That Be and see if they can fix things for you . . . or else post your DVD in the Bazaar.

SwapaGoat (Alex D.)

Date Posted: 9/8/2008 1:59 PM ET

Kerry's right, it would be a nightmare requesting DVDs here if they allowed people to post by searching.  You'd get the wrong edition 50% of the time or more.   

Requesting CDs at SaCD is horrible if you want import/special editions/bonus track cds.  I now have 5 copies of Natalie Imbruglia's CD because people incorrectly posted them.  Every time I received a message from the sender saying "I just typed in the artist name an clicked the first one that looked like mine."

I'm so glad they require the UPC here for posting.

yibyab (Bob S.)

Date Posted: 9/8/2008 2:06 PM ET

Good points.  Thanks.