Discussion Forums - Questions about SwapaDVD

Topic: can somebody tell me Y?

Club rule - Please, if you cannot be courteous and respectful, do not post in this forum.
Matt (Matt H.)

Subject: can somebody tell me Y?
Date Posted: 3/9/2009 3:42 PM ET

ill put a movie i like on my wish list.  Slowly ill make my way down to 2nd or 3rd  spot.  Then all of  a sudden im back in 5th or 6th spot.   sometimes with movies that haven't even come out on dvd.   How is it that people can bump me back on my wish list and get in front of me?

Elaureth (Kerry L.)

Date Posted: 3/9/2009 4:12 PM ET

This topic just came up . . . somewhere else on the forums.  (I'll be darned if I can remember where, though!)  There are a couple different reasons this could happen.  If you don't have the movie in the number 1 spot on your wishlist, you can be passed by other people who have ranked the movie higher than you.  This isn't really all that likely, though, as it can take quite a bit of time for someone to pass you (unless you have the movie waaayyyyy down on your list) and it's unlikely that you'd be passed by more than one person at a time.

The more likely reason is that some people ahead of you in line ran out of credits in their account.  If they do not have enough credits to buy a DVD on their wishlist, they won't show up in the queue for the movie.  (We're not sure if that is for all movies on a wishlist, or just those specified as Auto-Request.)  They still keep their place in line, and continue to earn points each day, but they don't show up on the list to anyone else.  As soon as they add credits back into their account, they show up again, thus bumping you back the places you thought you had advanced.

General consensus from that previous thread on the topic seemed to be that nobody likes this feature.  People who have their wishlist on Vacation Hold appear as a yellow dot, so why can't people who are out of credits appear as a blue dot or something?  Both are still accumulating points for the DVD, neither will be offered the DVD if it comes available, so why treat them differently in the queue?

Matt (Matt H.)

Subject: that makes sense
Date Posted: 3/9/2009 5:19 PM ET

Thanks,  that explains a good chunk .   i was 1st in line for the wrestler, than some how i ended up in 6th place.  Right after that i bumped it to my 1st spot, but  5 spots is a big jump.   Swapa is going to make a lot of people mad if that becomes a regular occurance.

Elaureth (Kerry L.)

Date Posted: 3/10/2009 11:15 AM ET

Wow, dropping 5 places is quite a bit!  I don't think that actually happens all that often.  Of course, being an Oscar nominated movie, a lot of people will be adding to their wishlist, and probably ranking it really high so I guess you could be passed by several people in a few days.  Just curious, but what did you have it ranked and in what span of time did you drop so far?

I forgot one other issue that can cause you drop back (though not in the case of a movie that hasn't been released yet).  When the person who was first in line is offered the DVD, they are removed from the queue and you move up a spot.  Then, if for whatever reason they don't receive the DVD (sender backs out, lost in the mail, received damaged) they are placed back in the queue in the #1 spot, bumping you back down.

spinaned (Jim A.)

Date Posted: 3/10/2009 1:01 PM ET

Also if someone places the title on "hold", they are removed from the queue but can then re-appear if they go active again.

Matt (Matt H.)

Date Posted: 3/10/2009 8:09 PM ET

i had it at   about 35th  and it dropped in 3 days about

mgmirkin (Michael G.)

Date Posted: 3/10/2009 8:59 PM ET

@ Elaureth:

It came up over here:
www.swapadvd.com/forum/topic.php?t=8456&ls=25

The ongoing FIFO vs. Wishlist Rank debate (should it be one, the other, or weighted between the two; it's unclear how things currently work)... Anyway, comments on that issue should probably go over there, so the topic doesn't get forked in 5 directions (different threads on the same topic)? Just guessing. ;o]

Regards,
~Michael

Last Edited on: 3/10/09 9:01 PM EST - Total times edited: 3