Discussion Forums - Questions about SwapaDVD

Topic: Questions about Bazaar

Club rule - Please, if you cannot be courteous and respectful, do not post in this forum.
John C.

Subject: Questions about Bazaar
Date Posted: 6/7/2016 8:10 PM ET

Looking at the rules and believing I understand is there some way to post and/or advertise for sone films (vhs and bmax) that would normally not fall into this one credit idea? While I have hundreds of tapes I'd love to swap out for the normal 1 credit idea (apx what? $3.50/$4 value per credit? ) and the idea of 3/4 tapes for a credit is also wonderful. but I also have dozens that are not just sought after or rare, but in some cases barely existint. Spc example Edge of the Axe original release, cib. A film that regularly sells (cash) over $100. Rolling Vengeance, etc. 

While I have them for sale on multiple sites I'd much rather trade them (credits, other films w/e) with a film fan, for a lower value,  then sell it to some get rich quick guy on an auction or shopping site. 

Last Edited on: 6/7/16 8:11 PM EST - Total times edited: 1
rxrcds (Melissa B.)

Date Posted: 6/7/2016 10:52 PM ET

If you want to trade them here, you would be limited to asking, at the most, 1 credit per title so probably not worthwhile on the super rares, but you could probably move the more commons. I know I'm always looking for horror/exploitation vhs.

glowbird (Gloria B.)

Date Posted: 6/8/2016 12:15 AM ET

Since you didn't say you'd found the VHS link for trading tapes in the bazaar , I don't know if you are aware that you can trade those there.  I would, however, list the rare ones for 1 credit.  Even at that, you will spend the majority of what a credit is worth on shipping a VHS since postage is dependent on the weight.  The least expensive shipping is to be had on PayPal shipping. 

It is not worth shipping more than one per order.  I, too, had a zillion VHS tapes that I ended up giving away because even at yard sales you couldln't get more than 25 cents per tape.  Unfortunately, there may have been a couple rarer tapes in the bunch.

KateWisdom (Renee K.)

Date Posted: 6/8/2016 3:35 AM ET

A lot of horror movies never made the jump to DVD, so you might have good luck if you have that sort too (or whatever genre). I'd type up a list and post them in the VHS/Laserdisc Bazaar. I know I'd check it out ^.^

glowbird (Gloria B.)

Date Posted: 6/8/2016 10:02 AM ET

I've kept a couple VHS tapes in the hopes that I ever find someone that can transfer those to DVD.  :)  They are definitely films that were never released on DVD. 

John C.

Date Posted: 6/8/2016 12:47 PM ET

Yep. Wound up buying a bulk lot of a few hundred just to get my copy of rolling vengeance for less than €40. My personal vhs collection (and film reels for that matter) is almost entirely just that, never on digital.  

@gliwbird 

The average vhs tape in lp mode weighs between 6-9 ounces.  In sp they cap around 14 ounces, per tape.  

Betamax sp can reach 18 ounces or so. 

(Do NOT ship priority mail for betamax, ever!) The coating on the film is flammable (silver oxide), much like some film formats. It's hazardous.  Needs to be marked as such and must ship ground ie media mail.  

Last Edited on: 6/8/16 12:58 PM EST - Total times edited: 1
charityl (Charity L.)

Date Posted: 6/8/2016 1:13 PM ET

Gloria, my dad has actually been able to dub some of the older vhs tapes that we have found. Not sure how he does it but it has come in handy a couple times with things we would love to have on DVD but it was never released that way. 

glowbird (Gloria B.)

Date Posted: 6/9/2016 1:05 AM ET

I've read other posts from mems saying they have favorite movies on VHS that never made it to DVD. There are probably a number of folks on here that still keep their VHS for that reason.  I even have some on my WL (not on here), but inevitably would prefer DVD.

Solvanda (Samuel K.)

Date Posted: 6/11/2016 12:12 PM ET

I've come across several DVD and Blu-ray reviews on Amazon over the years which expressed disappointment over the upgrade; the main reason being that, when compared, the VHS version contains more scenes (usually key ones), and this necessitated keeping the VHS.

Tried my hand at transferring some of my own video tapes to DVD-Rs a few years back and noticed that errors would appear later on the DVD, some in as little time as 6 months.  Researched this issue, and there are multiple ways this might happen.  The most prominent one was simply buying high quality recordable discs.  Here are a couple informative links on the topic:

http://www.digitalfaq.com/guides/media/longevity.htm

http://www.digitalfaq.com/guides/media/dvd-tests.htm

musiclover (Valerie L.)

Date Posted: 6/11/2016 12:17 PM ET

I regret not keeping my Lion King VHS.  My goodness what has Disney done to the Lion King on DVD and Blu-Ray?  Why can't we have the original movie that we love?  Anyway I can pick up the VHS in a thrift store.  I have one DVD combo VHS player left in the house.   

KateWisdom (Renee K.)

Date Posted: 6/13/2016 6:37 AM ET

I hate that Disney claims that the DVDs/Blus have the original movie but there's no way to play then without the new songs they keep adding... I'm not against Human Again being on Beauty and the Beast, but I'd like the option to watch the original. Same with The Lion King; I'd like to be able to watch the songs with the un-upgraded art...

kayote (Kayote B.)

Date Posted: 6/19/2016 11:15 PM ET

And Star Wars!   I want the originals back!  Bringon the ewok song! No stomping on Jabba's tail!

I wish I'd kept our VHS. I have no VHS player, but maybe I could have found someone to transfer them.  My dad still has it, I should look again, but places I've seen will only do home-shot movies due to copyright.