Discussion Forums - Questions about SwapaDVD

Topic: OMG!! What the heck??

Club rule - Please, if you cannot be courteous and respectful, do not post in this forum.
sschallau (Stephanie S.)

Subject: OMG!! What the heck??
Date Posted: 9/25/2009 12:13 PM ET
This is the message I sent after receiving a dvd:
"Got the dvd, just want to watch it this weekend and make sure it is ok before I mark it. Doesn't look like I will have any problems with it, but want to make sure. Thanks so much!! :) "
This is the message I got back:

"You are supposed to post the credit right when you get it, it is your payment for the dvd, then you can watch it once you "own" it. LAME! "

CRAZY!!

I thought I was being kind by letting her know that I had received it and would mark it Monday. Apparently she didn't agree. I believe it is common practice on swapadvd to check dvds out for problems BEFORE marking them received. Is that not right?? Thanks for any input!!

Last Edited on: 9/25/09 12:14 PM EST - Total times edited: 1
Madeline (Madeline S.)

Date Posted: 9/25/2009 12:34 PM ET

Always watch them before marking received.  It's a huge red flag to me when someone wants you to mark it before you watch.  You're totally in the right. 

sschallau (Stephanie S.)

Date Posted: 9/25/2009 12:37 PM ET

Thanks for the response. I thought I was, and that it was common practice, but this person was so RUDE. I just didn't understand her outrage, but maybe there is a problem. I will watch and find out!! :)

SwapaGoat (Alex D.)

Date Posted: 9/25/2009 12:49 PM ET

Certainly,  you're correct.  SaDVD encourages you to watch the DVD prior to marking it received if the playable side is questionable.  There is no reversing the transaction after you've marked it received one way or another.

BTW - very good about deleting the identity of the sender.  That's always best when discussion any situations on the message boards.

aylamonster (Shellie F.)

Date Posted: 9/25/2009 12:51 PM ET

I learned the hard way to always watch first.  But I will say I do try to watch them quickly when I receive them.  The same day or the next.  I also try not to order so many that I won't be able to watch them quickly for the sender.  I appreciate it when the recipients do the same for me. :O) 

SwapaDVDTeam (Admin S.)
SwapaDVD Team

Subject: You are correct...
Date Posted: 9/25/2009 1:08 PM ET

It is common practice to wait and mark the DVD AFTER watching it. Then, if the DVD is damaged, the requestor can mark it 'Received with a Problem'. We understand there isn't always time to watch the movie immediately, but we ask members to at least try to scan through the DVD on fast forward (many members have found that any skips will be noticeable scanning this way) before marking 'Received'--especially if the disc has visible scratches. Of course, we expect members to mark the DVD 'Received' as promptly as possible so the sender doesn't have to wait for the credit, but it is absolutely reasonable to watch the DVD first. Try to watch and mark the DVD within a few days of receiving it, or less if the system action date is near.

You did the right thing to let the sender know the DVD had arrived. You sent a courteous message, and unfortunately, the sender was misinformed.

SeattleDawn (Dawnie C.)

Date Posted: 9/25/2009 2:09 PM ET

Stephanie,

I have been Swapping DVD's for a tear now and haven't had anyone not post RIGHT when the receive the DVD's. I received 12 in the past week and certainly didn't have time to watch them all. If they are unscratched then thatI assume they are good.

Was the DVD you received really scratched?

DVD players have different sensitivity levels, so a DVD might be totally fine, but skip on your machine (we used to have a skipper!!). No fault of the DVD or the sender of the DVD.

In the 88 DVD's I have revceived I have only ever had a problem with one. I PM'd the person and they said sorry and transfered a credit to me.

I don't think it was unreasonable for the sender to want their credit and maybe she felt like she was being accused??

Dawnie

Last Edited on: 9/25/09 2:21 PM EST - Total times edited: 1
sschallau (Stephanie S.)

Date Posted: 9/25/2009 2:20 PM ET

In reading this, it seems as if you (Dawnie) are saying that I don't want to pay for the dvd, which is not even close to the case here. All I want to do is make sure it is in proper working order, which I don't think is unreasonable. I appreciate your input, however, and am thrilled that you have not had any problems with the dvd's that you have been sent. That is fantastic!! :) I really do LOVE swapadvd and think the people here are wonderful!! 

twintoni (Toni B.)

Date Posted: 9/25/2009 3:22 PM ET

If senders are that concerned about getting credits, using the printed postage and delivery confirmation is the answer. Mark it mailed, get a credit!

SarithaAnn (Sara C.)

Date Posted: 9/25/2009 7:31 PM ET

That is my thought, Toni.    If someone needs a credit that fast then use DC and the credit is theirs when scanned at the PO.   I am a huge fan of SwapADVD but also know there is a certain level of patience required when using the site.   Instant gratification is not always the winner here.

I use DC when shipping most of my DVDs and so I can see when a movie has been delivered.  I have had a few that are delivered days before being marked received.  I have never had anyone not mark a DVD received but for those that are a little slow in hitting the button, I just assume they are wanting to watch the DVD to make everything is a-ok.  I can understand that and because I do my best not to send out DVDs that I found skip, I don't have any issue with that as long as the person sticks within the timeframes given by SwapADVD which I think is  a perfectly generous amount of time.  

And hey, as far as who is right or wrong...the SwapADVD team stated that it was ok in a post above so since they are the rulers of the site that is what to go by.  ;)

KathrynBlodgett (Kathryn B.)

Date Posted: 9/25/2009 9:21 PM ET

Ive had senders take until the very last minute to mark it mailed, so I use DC on anything expensive like a bluray or box set, or anything bulk, like several movie orders, since tv sets and several movies take a while for people to go through.  I wouldnt really care about a 1 credit movie though....if you are really bent on getting that one credit you wouldnt depend on usps to get it to the other person, nor would you depend on that person not having a busy life....

jorgito2001 (Jorge S.)

Date Posted: 9/28/2009 4:57 PM ET

Not to defend the sender, but they either..

A. Really needed the credit right away.

B. Your heads up about checking the DVD, though courteous by all means, came off as "I don't trust you" in the sender's eyes.

C. You plain 'ol caught them in a bad mood.

I guess I'm in the "bad" as well as the minority as I tend to immediately mark "received" mint looking discs (surface unscathed)...and check the ones that are scratched or look kind of "busted"...I'm sure it'll haunt me one day...although my "in-coming" DVDs volume is almost null at the moment. :( (nobody posts my wishlist stuff).