Discussion Forums - DVD Bazaar

Topic: Resurfacing Service for 1 Cred per disk

Club rule - Please, if you cannot be courteous and respectful, do not post in this forum.
hangfirebooks (William S.)

Subject: Resurfacing Service for 1 Cred per disk
Date Posted: 4/13/2017 11:20 PM ET

Not sure if this is the forum for this (or if it's allowed) but I recently acquired a commercial disk resurfacer (JFJ Disc Repair Armless) from a video store that was going out of business. I spent two solid days fixing every problem disk in my own collection. Now I'm willing to resurface other users DVD or CD based media for 1 cred per disk. I can't do blu-ray as the data layer is differently positioned. Shipping both ways would be the requesters responsibility and I can't guarantee that every disk can be repaired. Disks with damage to the data layer (usually indicated by the scratch being visible through the label side) and disks that skip due to "laser rot" (imperfections that look like water stains to the recording layer) can't be helped by resurfacing but most other problems can be erased or minimized. Flipper disks are fixable but I would need to order an additional attachment so would take longer. If anyone is interested, I can lay out the details further.

Last Edited on: 4/16/17 2:24 PM EST - Total times edited: 2
BlueMoon187 (Barbara H.)

Date Posted: 4/14/2017 7:35 AM ET

Just a thought, but you might want to try advertising this as a local service.  Adding the cost of shipping both ways, plus the $3 fee, makes this a pretty prohibitive cost.  There is a video store here that resurfaces for $3.  Probably one near where you are, also.  But you could undercharge whatever the local place is charging just a little, and maybe get some takers.  And if there is no local service, you could probably do pretty well.

glowbird (Gloria B.)

Date Posted: 4/14/2017 11:53 AM ET

I agree with Barb, shipping plus a credit would be cost prohibitive.  I also think you cannot ask for money on here. 

melikedvd (Lory R.)

Date Posted: 4/14/2017 1:09 PM ET

Here's a thought.  Offer it as a free service.  For every DVD (disc) a person requests from you, you'll allow them to send you a disc to resurface and return with the the requested one.  Just make sure they understand that if they send the disc in a case, the case will not be returned with it.  Otherwise you're adding to your shipping cost.  If a person requests 4 dvds, they can have 4 re-surfaced, ect.  yes

There's a reason why that video store closed.  People can now buy most DVDs for a dollar or two, so spending money to re-surface one isn't something most people will do. no

People need to remember SwapaDVD is a place for trading, not to run a business.

Last Edited on: 4/14/17 1:13 PM EST - Total times edited: 2
hangfirebooks (William S.)

Date Posted: 4/16/2017 12:09 AM ET

Thanks for the input. My experience is that it can be tough to find a place that does resurfacing since most of the mom & pop video stores have gone away (and are being quickly followed by retro video game stores).

I was imagining that shipping would be disk only and that interested parties would save up a few disks to cut down shipping costs. And yes most disks are probably not worth the cost/trouble of saving but for a hard-to-replace OOP title (or a single disk from an expensive set) 1 cred + postage is very reasonable (especially since you can transfer creds from swapacd where a credits can be had for abt $.91--the cost of shipping a cd shucked from the jewel case) .

I saved a thrift store copy of Gummo the other day that goes for $20 or so and salvaged numerous video games that go for $50+. 

I'm not trying to run a business, just offer a useful service, justify owning a largish machine and support my hobby.