Discussion Forums - Questions about SwapaDVD

Topic: library discards

Club rule - Please, if you cannot be courteous and respectful, do not post in this forum.
punkeymonkey529 (Alexandra C.)

Subject: library discards
Date Posted: 7/23/2021 5:04 PM ET

hello, 
are library discards allowed on here? I know on paperbackswap they are, but wasn't sure about the sister sites. I have some that I'd like to post. Some I checked,and people are even wishing for. Disks look fine,and play just the case has the stickers and such on it as well as the disk(s). Thank you. 

aylamonster (Shellie F.)

Date Posted: 7/24/2021 8:50 AM ET

The thing to check before posting into the system is do they have original artwork. If they do, you can post. If not, you can offer in the bazaar.

punkeymonkey529 (Alexandra C.)

Date Posted: 7/24/2021 2:57 PM ET

Original cover. yes, interior artwork, no or in some cases I am not sure. I can post in the bazaar just to be safe.

TeaBea (Tracy B.)

Date Posted: 7/25/2021 10:14 AM ET

The bazaar is safest.  The last ex-library copy I received had a chunk cut out of the artwork, making it unpostable.  My guess is the "chunk" said something like digital copy.

glowbird (Gloria B.)

Date Posted: 7/25/2021 1:44 PM ET

Have you removed the art from the case to inspect it?  Sometimes they look original, but are very good copies.  I don't know what you mean by "interior artwork," but assume you mean an insert that is sometimes a chapter index.  Those are not required in order to post, but are nice to have. 

I've received some doozie library copies myself with cut-outs in the original art!  It's so much better if they just didn't cut the artwork because most of the stickers on art can be removed (carefully with petroleum products or goo gone).  The stickers I tend to leave on are the hub stickers because they stabalize that area, and removing them can sometimes crack a disc.

I don't mind library copies--called "library withdrawals" when they are removed from library holdings.

Last Edited on: 7/29/21 9:59 AM EST - Total times edited: 1
Amber C.

Date Posted: 7/26/2021 10:00 AM ET

Also check the DVD's over really carefully. I got some at a library sale and there was a small crack in the DVD and none of them would play.

stampsarefun (Jean F.)

Date Posted: 8/10/2021 3:19 AM ET

Test the dvd on the player before sending. I had gotten one that did not work the person had never thought to test it.

glowbird (Gloria B.)

Date Posted: 8/28/2021 11:16 AM ET

I often purchase library copies online of movies I want to watch. Sometimes they are newer release titles that are less expensive to order as a library copy, which is why I order them.  I watch them and if I want to own the movie I place it on my WL.  I have never received a "bad" library copy, but like I said earlier, some people cut off the stickers!  If I get one with stickers, I remove as many as I can before piosting the movie in the multiples thread where I can describe the art w/ stickers. 

Alameda (Danny N.)

Subject: ►Happy 🌊 Almost Fall ! 😷 🛸🌎 😷 Stay Safe, Sane, and Healthy
Date Posted: 9/20/2021 3:37 AM ET

my library has the nasty habit of removing the UPC (cut it out) and placing stickers eveywhere - I had to quit buying their discards unless it was a DVD I really wanted to watch.

They do have a bi-annual book sales where they sell donated items (Books, DVDs, CDs). These I do pick up on since they were donated from folks like you and me and are generally in very good condition....

Last Edited on: 9/20/21 8:18 AM EST - Total times edited: 1
glowbird (Gloria B.)

Date Posted: 9/27/2021 3:03 PM ET

Most stickers can be removed with a petroleum product.  I use one even though I'm sensitive to the fumes, but it works well.  And I rarely have to go through that process.  I can remove most stickers.  The one I will not touch is a hub sticker because it seems to be glued so tight and you pull so hard on them that I think it would damage that area causing cracks.  I think hub stickers actually provide protection to that area on the disc.  I have pretty good luck with library copies that I order and watch before posting here.