Discussion Forums - Questions about SwapaDVD

Topic: Received a DVD with extreme damage to the case

Club rule - Please, if you cannot be courteous and respectful, do not post in this forum.
SteveChander (Steven C.)

Subject: Received a DVD with extreme damage to the case
Date Posted: 9/20/2022 7:11 AM ET

I received a DVD with about half of the clear plastic part of the case cut or torn off. (wish I could show a photo) Artwork and disc are okay.

I don't mind a case that's got a little rough spot, but this is toatlly inapropriate. How do I mark this as received with a problem?

aylamonster (Shellie F.)

Date Posted: 9/20/2022 8:42 AM ET

It sounds like it was mailed that way, not something that happened in shipping?

Have you reqached out to the member?

Last Edited on: 9/20/22 8:42 AM EST - Total times edited: 1
markg731 (Mark G.)

Date Posted: 9/20/2022 9:29 AM ET

I searched the Help Doc for "case" and "Broken Case" and "Damaged Case" but could not find much. All I found was this:

"DVDs must be mailed in their original cases. You may not send them in "blank" DVD cases or jewel cases. It must be the original DVD case, or a replacement (you can purchase these), and must include the cover art."

If the damage happened during mailing, there's not a lot you can do unless the disc is damaged too and does not play. Just get a replacement case. If it's clear the damage was done before shipment (which seems likely based on your description), I also think there's not much you can do except not order from this member again. Clearly they don't take care of their DVDs.

Of course, you can contact the site admins (the Contact Us link under the Help Center menu) and ask their advice, too.

aylamonster (Shellie F.)

Date Posted: 9/21/2022 8:29 PM ET

You can also make a comment about the condition of the case when you mark the dvd received.

glowbird (Gloria B.)

Date Posted: 6/15/2023 9:57 AM ET

The requirement that "DVDs must be mailed in their original cases" is easily misunderstood if taken literally. Maybe it should be clarified?  Some people do not realize that cases can be changed out.  An original case is either a DVD case or a Blu-ray case, not specifically the damaged, dirty, torn cases that someone may have a movie in.  The only exception are snapcases because the case and art are combined. 

Evelyn L.

Date Posted: 6/27/2023 9:35 AM ET

"The only exception are snapcases because the case and art are combined."

Actually, that isn't quite true; you can separate the cardboard artwork from the plastic case (the top and bottom are hinged and snap up), but of course you need another snapcase to swap it for. 

glowbird (Gloria B.)

Date Posted: 7/26/2023 10:20 AM ET

Yes, I forgot about that.  I've switched out some snappers due to issues; and they do seem to break easily.  

Replacement cases are offered in the Artwork and Case bazaar.  

schuym1 (Schuylar L.)

Date Posted: 7/28/2023 4:47 PM ET

I recently received a DVD case with the plastic completely cut off, with the artwork, and a very scratched DVD that didn't play. I received a credit and fee refund, but that was the first time that I received a DVD case with no plastic.