Discussion Forums - DVD Bazaar

Topic: Dollar Tree DVDs and Blu-rays are now 50 cents each

Club rule - Please, if you cannot be courteous and respectful, do not post in this forum.
Nirvana678 (Michael A.)

Subject: Dollar Tree DVDs and Blu-rays are now 50 cents each
Date Posted: 4/1/2023 11:54 PM ET

Dollar Tree DVDs and Blu-rays are now 50 cents each

Good to build your collection or for swaps

melikedvd (Lory R.)

Date Posted: 4/2/2023 5:14 PM ET

Not in my area (SF Bay area). Still $1.25 here.

JUST CHECKED:  Looked at my last receipt and sure enough, it was .50  They didn't post the lower price, so I didn't even know.

Last Edited on: 4/2/23 5:20 PM EST - Total times edited: 1
Nirvana678 (Michael A.)

Date Posted: 4/2/2023 8:26 PM ET

Yeah they have not been great about posting the price change here in Chicago either. But I think the change is national. 

hoosiergal (Debra N.)

Date Posted: 4/2/2023 11:04 PM ET

I was told by the store staff that they will no longer be carrying dvds as basic stock...Current stock is also selling at 50 cents here as well.

melikedvd (Lory R.)

Date Posted: 4/3/2023 8:49 PM ET

Just checked a couple of our local stores.  All that was left was Hallmark "Type" Xmas movies (lol).  Good luck.  Looks like it's back to garage sales.

bluebolt7 (James P.)

Date Posted: 4/4/2023 7:01 PM ET

Be aware that a lot of the DVDs sold by Dollar Tree have the same UPC number for multiple titles. The UPC number does not match DVDs in the SwapaDVD system so they are unpostable here. I found this out the hard way by buying about fifteen mostly horror DVDs at Dollar Tree. When I sat down to list them, most had the same UPC number so I couldn't list them.

melikedvd (Lory R.)

Date Posted: 4/5/2023 12:30 AM ET

James,  Dollar Tree puts their own UPC sticker on all of their DVDs & Blu-Rays that covers the original. If you remove that sticker, you should see the real UPC, making it postable.  Since the Dollar Tree sticker is on the shrinkwrap, just remove it and your horror films should be postable. Good luck with them.

bluebolt7 (James P.)

Date Posted: 4/7/2023 4:57 PM ET

I know about the ones with the sticker on the shrink wrap. There are also some that are printed right on the DVD artwork of multiple DVDs. I looked at one today. The DVD title is "Boxcar Bertha" ( a film starring Babara Hershey and David Carradine) and the UPC number printed on the artwork is 828706545461. Checking that UPC number on SwapaDVD shows two titles, neither of which is Boxcar Bertha. Checking that UPC numbver on eBay brings up dozens of different DVDs with that UPC number  listed for sale there. I'm sure most of them were purchased at Dollar Tree. Just wanted people to be aware that buying DVDs at Dollar Tree with the intention of listing them on SwapaDVD is risky. If you do, look for DVDs that seem to have a unique UPC number. If you see a lot of DVDs with the same UPC number, don't buy them unless you just want to watch them and keep them in your collection. I want to watch Boxcar Bertha but after I do, I'm stuck with it unless I want to offer it here in the forum.

Last Edited on: 4/7/23 4:58 PM EST - Total times edited: 1
melikedvd (Lory R.)

Date Posted: 4/8/2023 2:28 AM ET

That's good advice.

SteveChander (Steven C.)

Subject: Still a great buy - for the cases alone
Date Posted: 4/8/2023 6:23 AM ET

We all have some DVDs and BluRays with damage to the cases. Here's a cheap way to get new cases at a really good price. Especially BluRay cases. I've been paying over a dollar each on replacement cases for BRs.

FritzFassbender (Nathaniel B.)

Date Posted: 4/8/2023 10:16 AM ET

In regards to the UPC/sticker issue, the connecting thread seems to be that it applies to the MGM library titles.   I don't know the story, but MGM re-released a whole slew of titles in 2021, and they all have this issue with posting.   Possibly they were produced for exclusive distribution in low-cost outlets, I dunno.

So the bad news is that if you see the MGM logo on the spine artwork of a Dollar Tree DVD, you probabaly can't post it.   The worse news is that if you see a title at Dollar Tree that you've heard of, it's probably got the MGM logo.

Last Edited on: 4/9/23 9:24 PM EST - Total times edited: 2
bluebolt7 (James P.)

Date Posted: 4/9/2023 3:01 PM ET

You're right. Boxcar Bertha is an MGM title.