Discussion Forums - Questions about SwapaDVD

Topic: Blu-rays sent in DVD cases?

Club rule - Please, if you cannot be courteous and respectful, do not post in this forum.
Jeff W.

Subject: Blu-rays sent in DVD cases?
Date Posted: 4/22/2023 3:27 PM ET

Doesn't it say that it has to be sent in the original case? Just cause you bought it at Blockbuster in a DVD case doesn't mean that it's the original case does it?  I would think if it's a blu-ray in a DVD case it should be listed in the bazaar. I obviously just received one this way.What say you?

Last Edited on: 4/22/23 7:14 PM EST - Total times edited: 1
Kevin R.

Date Posted: 4/22/2023 5:23 PM ET

My understanding is that if it has the original artwork (not a photocopy) then it is OK. Cases are replaceable, artwork is not.

Jeff W.

Date Posted: 4/22/2023 7:13 PM ET

Checked the rules again and notified Swapa and was credited back my credits & money. It does need to be in an original case. It was NOT a blu-ray in DVD packaging type package. It was a Blockbuster DVD case.

Last Edited on: 4/24/23 3:12 PM EST - Total times edited: 2
musiclover (Valerie L.)

Date Posted: 4/22/2023 8:15 PM ET

Jeff,  you could use the Contact Us link below and ask the Team.  

markg731 (Mark G.)

Date Posted: 4/23/2023 5:59 AM ET

Some blu-ray + DVD combo packs were sold in DVD cases.  Not sure if that's the situation here, but I've seen enough to know it's not uncommon.  But if I received a SINGLE blu-ray in a DVD case, I'd be annoyed.  

Last Edited on: 4/23/23 6:00 AM EST - Total times edited: 1
Kevin R.

Date Posted: 4/23/2023 3:02 PM ET

Switching out a Blu-ray case to replace it with a DVD case seems different from passing on something that was *originally distributed* in a DVD case (like a lot of Disney dual-format releases), or "sort-of-originally-distributed* (like the Blockbuster Blu-rays). I wouldn't have ever considered taking the Blu-ray artwork out of the Blu-ray case and putting it into a DVD case. If I need extra Blu-ray cases at home, I'll buy them. If I happened to receive one like that through the club, I wouldn't really be annoyed, but I certainly would be thinking "That's kind of weird..."

glowbird (Gloria B.)

Date Posted: 4/27/2023 9:48 AM ET

When Blu-rays are sold in DVD cases they will have the blue background paper with the Blu logo printed at the top, and the original Blu-ray art will be on top of the blue paper.  Blockbuster often sold Blu-rays this way.  This is totally acceptable--but if a Blu-ray were placed in a DVD case that is something else. I would think that is a grey area because the rules state that a replacement case is acceptable, but doesn't specify format cases.  Since your credit was returned, and I assume 2 credits for a Blu-ray, I would return one credit to the sender--they are out a movie, 2 credits, and on top of that paid more than a credit in postage to send to you.

There are so many ways to get replacement cases--buy Blu-rays from library sales (often $1), look in the case and artwork bazaar on here, post in the Bazaar for replacement cases, or order online (try checkoutstore.com), or buy movies from dollar stores or pawns for the cases. 

Jeff W.

Date Posted: 4/27/2023 12:12 PM ET

It's my understanding/experience that the sender has always received all their credits when this happens. I think it needs to be specified what a replacement case is. The buyer shouldn't have to buy a case to make their disc complete. I wouldn't order it if I knew if there was going to be an extra expense, as the next person to put the title up will undoubtedly post it with the proper case. If they dont have a blu-ray case it should be listed in the bazaar.

Last Edited on: 4/27/23 12:16 PM EST - Total times edited: 2
melikedvd (Lory R.)

Date Posted: 5/21/2023 1:37 AM ET

A Blu-Ray that was not originally distributed in a DVD case, should not be sent out in a DVD case.  Replacement case means a true replacement of the same kind of case, not switching it out for something different.  Jeff was totally right when he marked it unacceptable.   It may be hard for some to understand but sending a Blu-Ray (or DVD) in a different kind of case than it originally came in or that is unusable, is the same as if they sent it in a Cracker Jacks box.   When you don't have the right case or it's unuseable (spindle broken, ect.), list it in the Bazaar stating why it's unpostable.  Let's keep Swap a safe place to trade.  Not just my opinion, a real (same) replacement case in useable condition is required to post a DVD or Blu-Ray.

Last Edited on: 5/21/23 1:38 AM EST - Total times edited: 1
glowbird (Gloria B.)

Date Posted: 5/22/2023 10:52 AM ET

OOO, Lory!  

I guess I don't see it as a big deal because after being on swap for years I have boxes and boxes of empty cases (blus and dvd).  But I get it that not everyone has spare cases, and that this could be an issue for them.  

melikedvd (Lory R.)

Date Posted: 5/26/2023 2:22 AM ET

I not saying members shouldn't offer Blu-Rays in DVD cases.  But if that's what is being offered, the Bazaar is the place to do it.  When a member requests a DVD or Blu-ray through the system, they expect that it will be in good playing condition with the same kind of case it was issued in and cover art that has the UPC.   Wouldn't you agree?  

I sometimes don't mind if a title I'd really like doesn't have a UPC or cover art or even a case, but only if I know in advance what I'm getting.

Last Edited on: 5/26/23 2:33 AM EST - Total times edited: 1
Barbelle (Barb E.)

Date Posted: 8/9/2023 12:16 PM ET

Back in the day tons of Blockbuster blu-rays circulated on Swapa in a Blockbuster dvd case with blue paper behind the artwork. Now that Blockbuster is not a thing any more, you don't see this much. 

If the original case position is strictly adhered to, then dvds sent in Blockbuster cases would also be rejects because they're not the original cases. I still occasionally get dvds in Blockbuster cases. The main issue is whether the sender had the good sense to add enough padding inside the case to keep the disk in place so it doesn't get scratched during shipment.

The upside of Blockbuster cases is that they are almost indestructable. The downside is they will probably be in landfills for centuries.

I do understand that if you keep your blurays separate, a full-sized case might not fit on your shelf. That would be a little problem.