Discussion Forums - Questions about SwapaDVD

Topic: The Next Person In Line

Club rule - Please, if you cannot be courteous and respectful, do not post in this forum.
bluebolt7 (James P.)

Subject: The Next Person In Line
Date Posted: 10/3/2023 7:39 PM ET

Today I listed a DVD with six wishers. The person who is first in line has the DVD on Auto Request. I accepted the request and printed out the mailing info. Then the requester sent me a private message asking me to cancel the order as she claims her account was hacked. I cancelled the order as she asked me to but now I am unable to repost the DVD so that it can be offered to the next person in line. I reposted it and it was automatically reordered by this same requestor. I responded to her private message and asked her to cancel her request so that it can be offered to the next person in line. Is there any other way to get around this person so that I can put the DVD in the hands of someone who actually wants it?

musiclover (Valerie L.)

Date Posted: 10/3/2023 10:51 PM ET

Another example I why I hate Auto-request.  

So many questions here.

You have to cancel again. Then it will return to her wishlist.  

Then ask her to put that movie on hold.  

From the wishlist On the right side of the movie is a "Hold" box to check.

I don't understand the hacking.  What does that mean?

Why is it on auto-request if she does not want the movie?  

Last Edited on: 10/3/23 10:52 PM EST - Total times edited: 1
bluebolt7 (James P.)

Date Posted: 10/4/2023 9:38 AM ET

I'm quite certain her account wasn't hacked. Who would hack an account and then add DVDs to the hacked account's wish list? This person has less than ten DVDs on her tower and less than ten DVDs on her wish list. No, it's just another example of the game playing that goes on here. She wanted the DVD when she added it to her wish list but for whatever reason she doesn't want to spend the money/credit at this time so she asks me to cancel the request. That way she keeps her place in line for the DVD on her wish list. This was a learning experience for me. I cancelled the first time I posted (cancelled at her request) and she kept the DVD on her wish list. I was then unable to repost the DVD without it going to her again. I reposted anyway and then I let it sit until she cancelled the request. By me doing this, it tied up her credit and fee. She finally cancelled the request which gave her back her credit and fee money but it also removed the DVD from her wish list. The DVD then was offered to second person in line. What have I learned from this experience? I learned that if I cancel a request, then I am the loser in the situation. If the requestor cancels the request, they're the loser in the situation. Now if she wants to add this DVD back on her wish list, she will go to the end of the line.

What would I have done if she didn't cancel the request? I would have stretched out the request until it was almost ready to time out and then I would have cancelled the request and immediately reposted it. It would then get offered to her again and I would tie up her money/credit once again. I could do this indefinitely until she wised up and removed the DVD from her wish list or set it to 48 hour offer.  I hate to be a game player but when you are dealing with game players than you are sometimes forced to be one too. 

musiclover (Valerie L.)

Date Posted: 10/4/2023 1:30 PM ET

That was definitely a frustrating situation for you and wrong because you had no way out.  

It's lucky for you she noticed it tied up her money & credit and she cancelled.  

She could have clicked the hold box for that title and kept her place in line. 

Maybe, that would not have worked.  

Did you actually have to re-post or did it roll over to her again?  

The only thing I like about auto-request is if you don't have money or credits you get skipped and keep your place in line.

With 48 hour offer you lose you place in line if you do not accept.  

Last Edited on: 10/4/23 1:35 PM EST - Total times edited: 1
bluebolt7 (James P.)

Date Posted: 10/4/2023 2:22 PM ET

I posted it once. She asked me to cancel and I did. Then I reposted it and it was offered to her a second time. This time I didn't cancel. I asked her to cancel instead and she did. Then it was offered to the second person in line who accepted it. I do admit that there is a distinct possibility that this is not an example of game playing. It may be that I am entirely too cynical and she is just not completely aware of how the wish list system works. It's kind of a complicated system and because of the small number of DVDs on her tower and on her wish list, she may be fairly new or fairly unactive on the site. I believe she's been a member for a while though as she was first in line for a DVD with six wishers.

The DVD came out in 2014 so it's been out for a while now. I didn't watch the film as I bought it at a sale at a local thrift store. I do that from time to time hoping to fill someone's wish list requests and to earn credits. The film features musician Taylor Swift as a supporting actress so that may be part of the film's appeal. She's not a leading actress though and she does not appear on the front cover of the DVD, only the back cover in a small photo.

alycat (Michelle F.)

Date Posted: 11/27/2023 1:11 PM ET

We had a request granted and we clicked on it that we wanted it.  Then the offer went away;  the email said they were trying to send it to someone else and cancelled it because it didn't go to them!  It doesn't work that way!  We were next in line and it should have gone to us!

musiclover (Valerie L.)

Date Posted: 11/27/2023 6:50 PM ET

Michelle,  we have the option of posting directly to someones wishlist.  

They posted it to someone who did not have enough money or credits and then the offer went to the next person.

OR

They posted it to the system by mistake instead of posting directly to someone wishlist.