Discussion Forums - Questions about SwapaDVD

Topic: Alternative to Wishlisted Multiples Thread?

Club rule - Please, if you cannot be courteous and respectful, do not post in this forum.
Sue Y.

Subject: Alternative to Wishlisted Multiples Thread?
Date Posted: 1/24/2024 9:29 AM ET

Is there a way (can there be a way) to search other member's Wishlists to see who wants particular movies? Say one has several Wishlisted movies, but isn't getting any responses in the Wishlist Multiples Bazaar Forum Thread. Wouldn't it be helpful to have a Search option where one can enter the Wishlisted movie titles and be shown a list of which Members have more than one of those movies on their WL?

aylamonster (Shellie F.)

Date Posted: 1/24/2024 12:07 PM ET

You can look at the wish lists one at a time if they are public. 

But no, there is not a sanctioned way to bypass the wish list. Every time I post a wl movie, I search their wl to see if I have anything else on theri wl and post it to them also.

Last Edited on: 1/27/24 10:30 PM EST - Total times edited: 1
Sue Y.

Date Posted: 1/25/2024 9:05 AM ET

With hundreds of members, searching Wishlists one at a time would take way too long and the odds of randomly finding someone who wants more than one of what I have would be astronomical.

glowbird (Gloria B.)

Date Posted: 1/27/2024 1:49 PM ET

Are you asking in order to send out more than one movie?  That's the purpose of the WL Multiples thread, but you are right, there is not many requests being made these days even on the Multiples thread.  

Many members do not use the forums, and do not even know about the WL Multiples.  If you have list in multiples, and receive an order from a title you post to the system, you can refer them to the WL Multiples thread.  It's curious to me that even when offering someone a WL title they will reject it.  I assume it's due to lack of credits.  

Periodically I post a WL title.  When it is requested I will look at the requestor's wishlist, and follow up with an offer for other titles or refer them to multiples.  

Sue Y.

Date Posted: 1/28/2024 7:36 AM ET

"Are you asking in order to send out more than one movie?"      Multiple credit transactions. Exactly.

You are very likely correct that many Members don't use the Bazaar. If we could get a list of the Members who wanted one or more Wishlisted movie we have, we could message them and make them a Multiples offer directly or direct them to the Bazaar.

The cost of postage rose again this week (Jan. 2024). Where I live there are multiple Goodwills and other thrift stores that sell common DVDs and even Blu-rays for much less than the cost to mail a single credit item.

It might help get a few additional movies circulated if the credit counts were adjusted: e.g. 1.) 3 credits for a Blu-ray and DVD combo instead of 4.

glowbird (Gloria B.)

Date Posted: 1/28/2024 2:54 PM ET

That is the hitch: postage to mail a single dvd/blu-ray is a losing proposition anymore.  You can use all of the suggestions given to get a multiple order.  

Sue Y.

Date Posted: 1/29/2024 7:14 AM ET

Currently all three of the Swap sites place all of the burden on the Members to find ways to increase multiple credit orders, when changes could be made to the sites to increase trading. Why should I have to take the time to make a listing in the Wishlist Multiples thread and hope that someone will take their time to search for it when site changes could make the process much more efficient? Why not let us enter Wishlisted movies into a hidden section of our account and then either: 1.) show us the Members who have those movies on their WLs, or 2.) show those with the movie(s) on their WL that we have it so they could come to us?

stampsarefun (Jean F.)

Date Posted: 2/2/2024 1:47 AM ET

I usually offer a deal when someone orders a movie on here. I send them a p.m  I have much better luck on paperbackswap then here. I have much luck offering a deal once someon has placed an order than in the bazaar. Or if I have a series of movies I take the last one and see then search that wish list to see how many others they want. If that does not work I take the middle movie.

glowbird (Gloria B.)

Date Posted: 2/23/2024 2:13 PM ET

You can offer larger orders (as a lot) in the bazaar (but not for WL titles unless they are unpostable).  You could offer wishlisted titles as disc only; or with art but minus cases.  

Sue Y.

Date Posted: 3/9/2024 8:54 AM ET

Let's be honest. The increased cost of postage for a single credit Request is killing this site. There are two options to increase trading:

1.) Increase the number of multiple credit Requests

I'm on a site that trades computer and video games. I enter the list of items I have to trade and create a list of items I want. The system shows me which other Members want items on my list. I can then see a list of the items each Member wants. With a similar system here, we could see if there are any Members who want multiple items from our available Wishlisted titles.

2.) Reduce costs by removing the requirement for mailing movies in a case.

The SwapaCD site has options for mailing only the CD, and mailing a disk and art without the case is much less expensive than mailing the items in a case ($1.36 versus $4.13). Having this option for mailing DVDs should get more movies into circulation. I'm sure many of us wouldn't mind getting a disk only of the movies and art for more common movies we want. Many of us likely have empty cases, and would have more empty cases if we mailed out disk-only Requests.

Last Edited on: 3/9/24 9:03 AM EST - Total times edited: 1