Discussion Forums - Musical

Topic: Which one is your favorite?

Club rule - Please, if you cannot be courteous and respectful, do not post in this forum.
Page:
EasyForTheEyes (Kimberly S.)

Subject: Which one is your favorite?
Date Posted: 11/16/2007 2:38 PM ET

I love musicals.  Fred Astarie, Ginger Rogers, Gene Kelley, Leslie Caron, Shilrey Jones.  The names just bring smiles to my face.  So I am hoping that there are others here who agree.

What is your favorite musical?  And who is/are your favorite actors who were known for doing musicals?

My favorite musical is probably My Fair Lady but GiGi is a close second.  Actor would be Gene Kelley and actress Leslie Caron.

june72 (June W.)

Date Posted: 11/16/2007 2:53 PM ET

I love Yankee Doodle Dandy, the sound of music, my fair lady, and Meet me in St Louis. I have a hard time with the actor but I would have to say Audrey Hepburn, as far as actress, although she wasn't known for musicals. She was just all around great.

june

EasyForTheEyes (Kimberly S.)

Date Posted: 11/16/2007 4:35 PM ET

Yeah, Audrey is my all around favorite actress, too.  To have even a quarter of her natural grace, sigh.

ChicagoCubs (Kristen S.)

Date Posted: 11/17/2007 1:12 PM ET

Bye Bye Birdie is my all time favorite! 

june72 (June W.)

Date Posted: 11/17/2007 1:37 PM ET

I forgot about that one, Kristen. That was good too.  I also forgot about Oliver and Annie!! I bought Oliver a while back for the boys and they actually liked it.

june

JW (Julie A.)

Date Posted: 11/18/2007 4:01 PM ET

The sound of music, of course, and Irving Berlin's White Christmas.

sevenspiders (Vanessa V.)

Date Posted: 11/18/2007 6:25 PM ET

Wow, I cannot pick a favorite.  I was raised on musicals, so I have seen way too many to pick just one.  Some of my favorites are:

Fiddler on the Roof, Gigi, My Fair Lady, Singin' in the Rain, A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum, West Side Story, Oliver, Chicago, Footlight Parade, Cabaret, Meet Me in St. Louis, Camelot, Phantom of the Opera, 1776, The King and  I, Rocky Horror Picture Show, Moulin Rouge, Seven Brides for Seven Brothers, Gentlemen Prefer Blondes, The Producers, Little Shop of Horrors, and Funny Face.

Also, just watched The Pirate for the first time (with Gene Kelly and Judy Garland) it was awesome, he was such an amazing dancer.  And I'm uber-excited for the movie musical of Sweeney Todd directed by Tim Burton coming out this winter!

Last Edited on: 11/19/07 8:01 PM EST - Total times edited: 1
Pioneerheart (Carla H.)

Date Posted: 11/20/2007 8:33 PM ET

Sound of Music, Mary Poppins, Bedknobs and Broomsticks, Chitty Chitty Bang Bang, Fiddler on the Roof, Oklahoma (I like the one with Hugh Jackman!), Grease, Hairspray, Little Shop of Horrors, Beach Blanket Bingo, Wizard of OZ, Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory.

ETA:  I can't believe I left out my favorite CATS. :o)

Last Edited on: 11/20/07 8:38 PM EST - Total times edited: 1
sarahstorms (Sarah C.)

Date Posted: 11/23/2007 5:23 PM ET

my fair lady, singin in the rain, the king and i, oklahoma, there are really just too many to list!

when i was little i used to watch singin in the rain every single day and tell my mom i was going to marry gene kelly when i grew up!

ritarene (Rita M.)

Date Posted: 11/29/2007 8:46 PM ET

Most definitely, BRIGADOON is my all-time favorite musical. I can hear the music playing in my head now...

My most favorite all-time Musical actress is Judy Garland. My favorite movie of hers is MEET ME IN ST LOUIS.

I love musicals. My grandmother belonged to a video club when I was younger, so she got new ones in the mail each month, and I loved watching them. She finally gave me her Brigadoon movie, since I was forever borrowing it from her! I loved all the Shirley Temple movies, too. Can't forget Shirley Temple! I think THE LITTLE PRINCESS was my favorite among her movies. I've gotten it on DVD for my daughter, too!

We can't forget Cole Porter, either, when we talk about musicals. He wrote some of the best and most-loved songs ever written for musicals. I think CAN-CAN was my favorite.

I could go on for hours....

marathon (Jeff E.)

Date Posted: 11/30/2007 3:10 AM ET
as over the top as it was, i enjoyed Moulin Rouge quite a bit. definitely more than i thought i would. could be the same reason i liked the 80s Little Shop of Horrors.
Robyn P.

Subject: Seven Brides
Date Posted: 12/1/2007 1:51 PM ET

I've gotta say Seven Brides for seven brothers.  It was my grandmother's favorite.  I think it's b/c she had six sons.  I feel a link to her when I watch it.  She died before I was born.  I love all musicals.  The theatre is my favorite way to spend an evening.  Last year I saw the touring production of RENT.  Rent is my favorite of the newer musicals.  Any other rentheads out there?  I didn't know about it until the movie came out.  Now I think I have the whole thing memorized.  LOL

ritarene (Rita M.)

Date Posted: 12/3/2007 10:41 PM ET

I love Moulin Rouge and Seven Brides for Seven Brothers, too!

I haven't seen Rent yet, but one of my co-workers went to see it on stage a few weeks ago for the upteenth time. She has it memorized, too, I think. She was telling me about the differences in the movie and stage production. Sounds like a moving story.

I love going to the theatre, too. Wish I could afford to go more often!

If you haven't seen the Phantom of the Opera movie that came out a couple of years ago, it is definitely worth watching. It is very close to the Broadway production.

I recently saw the Full Monty on stage (local production), and it was absolutely fabulous. I love the movie, too.

I haven't seen High School Musical yet, and my six-year-old really wants it. I've heard it's good, but only from teenagers. Have any of you seen it? What did you think?

Pioneerheart (Carla H.)

Date Posted: 12/3/2007 10:48 PM ET

I really like High School Musical, didn't care for the second one.  My 9yo daughter and I watched it in sing-along version this weekend.  Oh what fun we had..LOL! 

marathon (Jeff E.)

Subject: hsm2
Date Posted: 12/6/2007 2:57 PM ET

My 9yo daughter is obsessed with HSM2.  I hope Dan Zanes will release another CD soon to rescue our house from the soundtrack.

Last Edited on: 12/6/07 2:57 PM EST - Total times edited: 1
Tizmo (Victor T.)

Date Posted: 12/8/2007 9:47 AM ET

Brigadoon and Guys and Dolls!!

Jillian W.

Date Posted: 12/15/2007 10:25 PM ET

GYPSY!!!

JillianW

ReAA-GA (Shay H.)

Subject: hey
Date Posted: 1/21/2008 4:16 PM ET

I have few favorites rent being one, but I think my most favorite would have to be Godspell I love that movie

bookaholic (DIANE M.)

Date Posted: 1/26/2008 7:24 PM ET

I enjoy  musicals too,  especially:

YANKEE DOODLE DANDY, BLUES BROTHERS,   SINGING IN THE RAIN,   THE UNSINKABLE MOLLY BROWN, MEET ME IN ST. LOUIS, PHANTOM OF THE OPERA, GREASE , O BROTHER WHERE FOR ART THOU etc....

I especially enjoy Debbie Reynolds, Judy Garland, Audrey Hepburn, Betty Hutton, Mitzi Gaynor, James Cagney and Gene Kelly,

tammie34 (Tammie T.)

Subject: hi
Date Posted: 2/28/2008 4:29 PM ET

hows everyone? does anyone have faith hill dvd that she has alot of her songs on?

molly1990 (Molly S.)

Subject: musicals
Date Posted: 3/7/2008 7:50 PM ET

I never was one for musicals I was ok with Sound of music and Cinderella. I kind of like seven brides for seven brothers. But I just found out that one of my favorite actors plays the role of curly (I think) from the musical Oklahoma. I was wondering what Oklahoma is about? Is it a good movie to watch do you think? I would like to rent it but I don't want to pay $5 to rent a movie that nobody likes. Thank you!

Molly

sevenspiders (Vanessa V.)

Date Posted: 3/9/2008 6:14 PM ET

I love Oklahoma, and if its the one with Hugh Jackman, its definitely worth watching, especially if you enjoyed 7 Brides for 7 Brothers.  Its about a young cowboy (Hugh Jackman) who has a sort of flirty-fighty relationship with Laurie, a farm girl.  Of course they both totally love each other but won't admit it.  And there's a subplot with Laurie's friend who can't turn down any man who shows her any attention.  Its really cute.

molly1990 (Molly S.)

Subject: thank you
Date Posted: 3/9/2008 6:54 PM ET

As a matter of fact the one with hugh Jackman is the one i want to see. I am going to rent it next tme I go to town. Thanks!

cait (Cait E.)

Date Posted: 4/1/2008 12:16 PM ET

I love everything I've ever seen Gene Kelly in. Yes, even Xanadu (guilty pleasure). But my favorite is Singin' In The Rain.

musicgirl (Katie D.)

Subject: les miserables
Date Posted: 11/15/2008 4:47 PM ET

ok i've read through this whole thing and haven't seen Les Mis mentioned once...:o) it is definately my all-time favorite musical! i saw it in london, and recently went to see it at a highschool because i was so desperate to see it again!  i have looked for a dvd of the musical, not just the story, and have not been able to find one. does anybody know of one?

Page: