Discussion Forums - Musical

Topic: Which one is your favorite?

Club rule - Please, if you cannot be courteous and respectful, do not post in this forum.
Page:
Emily E.

Date Posted: 11/21/2008 7:51 PM ET

Starstruck.  From 1982?  Very silly.  Aussie movie with new wave pop music.

Last Edited on: 11/21/08 7:54 PM EST - Total times edited: 2
Emily E.

Date Posted: 11/23/2008 3:20 AM ET

I think they have shown the Hugh Jackman one on PBS.

Aquaseamage (Sarah B.)

Date Posted: 11/30/2008 3:42 PM ET

Some of my favorite musicals are (in no particular order):

The King and I, CATS, Breakin', The New Adventures of Pippi Longstocking, Chitty Chitty Bang Bang, Moulin Rouge, High School Musical 2 (I still need to see the first one), March of the Wooden Soldiers (AKA "Toyland"), Footloose, Labrynth,  The ORIGINAL Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory, Oliver!, Gigi, Muppet Treasure Island.......

And animated musicals I love: Disney's The Lion King, Disney's The Little Mermaid, Disney's Aladdin, The Last Unicorn, A Goofy Movie.

I also love the Bollywood musical Hum Dil De Chuke Sanam (Straight From the Heart) and have the soundtrack cd. It's very colorful, has big song and dance numbers and is basically a love story. I haven't seen very many Bollywood musicals yet but I loved this one right away and it's better than the others that I have seen so far.

I'm a bit surprised no one mentioned the musicals from the 1980s, like Breakin' and Footloose. Both were very popular and tell great stories. I watch them often on dvd. The New Adventures of Pippi Longstocking is also from the 80s.

I just got 2 musicals from the library yesterday that I never seen before, so I'm looking forward to watching them today. If any of you live in a large city (or near a large city) do remember to check if your local library has movies you can check out.

Last Edited on: 12/2/08 4:37 PM EST - Total times edited: 2
Emily E.

Date Posted: 12/2/2008 6:47 PM ET

I liked High School Musical 1 but hated HSM 2.  It felt much more mean spirited.  Not what I'd want a preteen to watch over and over.  Jump In, another disney musical, was a good story.  But I can't remember the songs.

Marleen M.

Subject: favorite musicals
Date Posted: 3/24/2009 4:34 PM ET

i always enjoyed debbie reynolds and doris day....but for the newer ones i loved moulon rouge...nicole kidman was fantastic, also hairspray, and chicago.

Marleen M.

Subject: favorite musicals
Date Posted: 3/24/2009 4:37 PM ET

phantom of the opera, hairspray, chicago, dreamgirls, moulon rouge...nicole kidman was fantastic.   also meet me in st. louis, holiday inn, dancing in the rain...

Catherine G.

Subject: South Pacific!
Date Posted: 9/30/2009 1:02 PM ET

I can't believe no one has said South Pacific yet!  I love anything Rogers and Hammerstein, but South Pacific will always be one of my top favorites.  Also, Sweeney Todd, Children of Eden and Les Mis, of course.  I totally agree that it is so hard to choose just one!  So many amazing shows are out there.

KatlynAva (Kat D.)

Date Posted: 2/22/2010 6:07 PM ET

Rocky Horror

Page: