Discussion Forums - Musical

Topic: Les Miserables

Club rule - Please, if you cannot be courteous and respectful, do not post in this forum.
musicgirl (Katie D.)

Subject: Les Miserables
Date Posted: 11/15/2008 4:51 PM ET

I absolutely LOVE the musical Les Mis....i saw it in london, which of course was AMAzing, and i have the soundtrack. now i am looking for a dvd. i have seen many of the story les mis, but none of the actual musical. does anybody know of one?

Karen W.

Date Posted: 11/15/2008 8:06 PM ET

There is a DVD of a concert version of the show. The characters just stand in the front of the stage and sing, so it's not quite the same as the show, but it has all the great music. The cast is amazing - all of the original cast members, Colm Wilkinson, Lea Salonga, Michael Ball, etc. There is also a very cool scene at the end when all the Valjeans from productions around the world come forward and sing in their own languages.

There's a long waiting list for the DVD here, of course, but it's in print and available from Amazon. Look for "Les Miserables Concert". The original version was on one double-sided disc (that's the one I have), but it was reissued recently as a two-disc "special edition".

I would have loved to see the recent revival - I saw it twice when it was on Broadway the first time.

Karen

Last Edited on: 11/15/08 8:07 PM EST - Total times edited: 1
musicgirl (Katie D.)

Date Posted: 2/25/2009 9:23 PM ET

thanks for the tip Karen, it's now on my wishlist. however, i may have to buy it beforehand, because now i cant wait to get it!

have you seen any productions of phantom of the opera? i have the dvd, and i think i will be seeing it onstage in may.

lizzie (Liz F.)

Date Posted: 11/2/2010 8:58 AM ET

Karen, That  concert is wonderful!  Many PBS stations show it during fund raising seasons,look for it around the holidays.  I could not wait, I had to go out and buy it!

Musicgirl- Have you seen Jekyll & Hyde?  The music, like Les Mis, will blow you away.  I saw it when it was still off Broadway and when it finally made it on.  The off Broadway version was great if not a bit raw.  Once it went mainstream they had to tame it a bit and blood did not gush as it did, but it STILL was fabulous.  Linda Eder as Lucy is flawless.  (I am not usually a fan of David Hasselhoff but I have to give him credit for a pretty good job. He was fit in near the end of the musical's run.)  The best is still Robert Cuccioli as Jekyll/Hyde.  You will not be disappointed!!!!!

Last Edited on: 11/2/10 8:59 AM EST - Total times edited: 1