Discussion Forums - DVD Bazaar

Topic: need some advice

Club rule - Please, if you cannot be courteous and respectful, do not post in this forum.
Anya (Bridgett A.)

Subject: need some advice
Date Posted: 1/26/2009 9:55 AM ET

I received a wishlisted 2 dvd set from another member.  Not from the bazaar but the regular way.  You know I was next in line for it.  When I received it the box looked brand new without plastic wrapping.  I was pleased.  I immediately put the first dvd in my player and that is when I found a problem.  No matter what I did the dvd would not play past the screen with the white writing.  You know the one with all the warnings.  I tried skip and fast forward buttons.  Nothing.  I take the dvd out and it has scratches on it but I am not sure if that is the reason it will not play.  Frankly, I have no idea why it won't play.  I put the second dvd in and it plays great.  Fortunately, I had not yet marked it received right away like I normally do.  I marked it received but with a problem.  I got an automated email from swapadvd saying that they would refund one of the 2 credits after they investigated my account.  I guess that is to make sure I don't do this all the time.  This is the first time I have had a problem with a dvd.  A little while later I notice one of my credits back.  Not long after I get a pm from the sender saying that she bought the set new at Walmart and that it was never watched.  She asked me if it had scratches on it.  I replied that, yes, it did have scratches on it.  She also asked if the box was damaged and I told her no, the box looks brand new.  As well as the case the dvd was in.  I told her that it looked like advd my teenage daughter would own.  You know the ones they don't put back in the case after watching and they get scratched up.  She replied that she has 2 teenagers but that they have not watched the dvd.  That may be true but I do find it hard to believe considering that my daughter watches dvds of mine that I would never have thought she would watch.  Even my Lifetime tv movie collection.  Plus, why buy a dvd set if no one was going to watch it.  The set is also more geared towards teens anyway.  I watch all of my movies before I send them out.  I am watching one that will be mailed later today right now.  The sender wants me to mail the dvd back and she will give me another.  I do not want another dvd that is not the movie I wanted in the first place.  Especially if it will cost me a credit.  I am very selective about using my credits because like a lot of people I have them for wishlisted dvds.  I also don't think it fair to expect me to pay for return postage.  I do understand that she wants to make sure I am not lying about the dvd though.  What do you guys think I should do?  Thanks.

Tizmo (Victor T.)

Date Posted: 1/26/2009 10:12 AM ET

You are not required to send the DVD back.

djtal (Daniel T.)

Date Posted: 1/26/2009 10:14 AM ET

I don't think you need to do anything.  It was her responsibility to see that the disc was playable before she mailed it out.  It's not that hard to take one more look at it before you pack it up.  She could easily have seen the scratches on it.  Granted, it could have been an honest mistake.  But a mistake nonetheless.  You should not have to spend any more time on this than you already have.

In case you're interested, I've had good luck getting discs repaired at a place called AzuraDisc.com.  I think their current price is $3.50 per disc.  It gets cheaper per disc if you send 10 at a time, and cheaper yet if you send 25.  I set aside all my scratched up discs until I've got a pile of 10 and then send them in.  Most of the time, the unplayable ones come back fine, but not always.  Some scratches are too deep or oriented in such a way that the disc cannot be saved.  But I think it's worth a try.

Robey (Robey S.)

Date Posted: 1/26/2009 10:16 AM ET

You are not required to mail back a damaged DVD, per site rules. However, I had a situation where a member sent me a box set without the UPC on it, because I couldn't repost it, I asked her to send me the outer cover or to credit me back my credits. She asked that I return the set to her. I did, AFTER she returned my credts for the set AND gave me an additional 2 for shipping. She agreed and I sent them.

Moral of the story is, you're are in no way required to return a dvd, but IF you choose to, you should be compensated for shipping costs, however way you decide is fair. And, you can politely refuse her request to choose another dvd.

per help center:

• A requestor does NOT have to return the item in a "problem" transaction
    • if the sender wants the item back, he or she should send postage or a credit to pay for its return.

• Last Edited on: 1/26/09 10:20 AM EST - Total times edited: 1
    bubbles76 (Keiahna M.)

Date Posted: 1/26/2009 10:31 AM ET

Tell her you will return the DVD, but only if she pays for postage.  It says in the guidelines (you have to look deep for it though) that if someone has a problem with a DVD you send out that you should not ask for the DVD back.  They should be able to keep it.  When I find it, I will post that for you.  It is very possible that the DVD became scratched in the mail.  If someone doesn't put bubble wrap on the inside of the case, that often happens. 

ETA: Someone found it for you :)

Last Edited on: 1/26/09 10:55 AM EST - Total times edited: 1