Could have been so much more
NChoudhury | United Kingdom | 12/07/2002
(2 out of 5 stars)
"Being a fan of Hong Kong cinema, I must admit I bought this dvd with a certain amount of trepidation. This is because it broke new territory - and I must admit the special effects are really impressive. However, the most serious flaw is that the movie never seemed to combine the special effects with the kung-fu action, which I was screaming for all the way through. What a wasted opportunity! There is too much boy meets girl type nonsense going on for my liking. Maybe if they had a Jet li or a Donnie Yen on board they could have done something with this, but I doubt it. Perhaps in a few years time they might get the combination just about right. Until then its The Story of Ricky for me!"
Don't expect Tekken, just fun!
Mr Wiltshire | United Kingdom | 04/26/2002
(4 out of 5 stars)
"Avenging Fist is the Tekken movie that was never allowed to be a Tekken movie. Namco said no to Andy Lau, so he went ahead and made one anyway.The plotline is neither deep or flourishing, but just adequate for what the movie wants to achieve. This movie is trying to do 2 things, first to show Hollywood that Hong Kong can do excellent special effects, and provide some great action sequences. This it achieves very well, the effects at times seem to go too far, but then when has that ever stopped the gaming industry. The fights are great, although there is obvious use of wires, the action is more punching than kung fu.Do not expect Tekken and you may well be suprised what Hong Kong can do. If you are not a fan of Hong Kong movies, and don't appreciate their cinema then this may not be the title for you."
The one you don't want to miss
Mr Wiltshire | 12/16/2002
(5 out of 5 stars)
"If you like Hong Kong movies, if you like cute guys, if you lilke fighting, and if you like feature movies. Then this is one you don't want to miss out. Not too much actions like some others, a little love story, exciting movies."
Tekken this is not... But still fun to watch!
Dennis A. Amith (kndy) | California | 09/04/2008
(4 out of 5 stars)
When I heard that "Avenging Fist" was going to be out on DVD, I had this grin on my face because of the "Tekken" hype surrounding the movie.
I finished watching "Avenging Fist" starring Ekin Cheng, Gigi Leung, Lee Hom Wang, Kristy Yeung, Sammo Hung, Stephen Fung and more.
Anyway, this movie has a lot of people you may have seen from many HK movies and a few big names which adds to the allure of the film. Also, the special effects are pretty cool and the futuristic look ala "Blade Runner" was very nice.
This movie is definitely not "Tekken", it's more like "Tekken", "Street Fighter 2" and "Dragon Ball Z" mixed together.
The only thing that "Tekken" has to do with this film is that it's a fighting movie (ala videogame like fighting movie) and the main character (Leehom Wang, the guy who played Aaron Kwok's partner on China Strike Force) has hair like Kazuya which is pretty cool. The only thing that "Street Fighter 2" has to do with it is the fighting characters and Combat-21 (think M. Bison, or if you are in East Asia think Vega). The only thing that "DBZ" has to do with this is the ending segment which is reminiscent of how DBZ ended with Goku's battle with Boo.
Anyway, the plot is humans can only use 10% of their brain. What would happen if humans can tap into the other 90% which is called the "Forbidden Zone". Anyway in the past: Thunder was a guy who perfect the martial art of the "Avenging Fist". As a police officer, he and two others - Dark and Combat 21 were chosen to test the power glove which would allow police officers to tap into the 90% but something goes wrong. Now it's twenty years later and Thunder's twins: Nova (Wang) and Belle (She was the female partner in "For Bad Boys Only") are twins that have special talents. Nova for fighting and learning his dead father's "Avenging Fist" and Belle with her power for producing heat. Nova never knew what happened to his father, his mother is not saying anything. Nova's goal is to have a "Power Glove" for himself, not knowing what it's for...just knowing that police officer's use it to kick butt. The day of his birthday, his mom has a surprise but Nova and Belle are in for a surprise when their father Thunder reappears.
If anything, people who love video games especially fighting video games or anime will love this movie. As for the DVD, it only comes with a trailer. No special features which sucks. But this is the first time I seen a DVD featuring DTS 6.1 and Digital Dolby EX on a HK DVD. Unfortunately, the movie doesn't feature great surround sound like GEN-X Cops but it's ok.
English subs are good but with the typical typos in HK film.
All in all a great film for those who enjoy video game fighting movies and anime. If you don't enjoy these type of movies, then you may want to pass."