By the fourth season, Norman Lear's landmark series ALL IN THE FAMILY was on its way to becoming an American institution. It consistently ranked number one in the ratings while at the same time breaking all of prime time T... more »V's taboos. Archie Bunker's (Carroll O'Conner) shocking politically incorrect diatribes, marriage problems for Mike (Rob Reiner) and Gloria (Sally Struthers), a breast cancer scare for Edith (Jean Stapleton) all broke with sitcom conventions. In the fourth season, Archie was hilariously faced with two worthy new opponents: neighbor Irene Lorenzo (betty Garrett), a staunch believer in women's rights, and loud-mouthed George Jefferson (Sherman Hemsley), soon to star in the spin-off hit series "The Jeffersons." Rob Reiner won an Emmy® Award for Best Supporting Actor in a Comedy Series and the show was nominated for four other Emmy® Awards for the fourth season.« less
A summary of the fourth season of "All in the Family"
Brett McKeon | California, USA | 02/06/2005
(5 out of 5 stars)
"This fourth "All in the Family" DVD will cover the 1973-74 season, including the following episodes:
* "Archie the Gambler" (Edith demands that Archie stop gambling)
* "Henry's Farewell" (Henry Jefferson is moving. Neither Henry nor Archie wants to have an integrated farewell party at his house)
* "We're Having a Heat Wave" (A two-parter that introduced the Lorenzos to AiTF).
* "Edith Finds an Old Man" (Edith brings home a nursing-home runaway)
* "Archie and the Kiss" (Archie against the Rodin statue)
* "Archie and the Computer" (Archie learns his lesson about computer errors)
* "The Games Bunkers Play" (Mike doesn't like hearing how his friends perceive him)
* "Edith's Conversion" (Horse-meat and Catholicism make Archie angry)
* "Archie in the Cellar" (Archie gets locked in the cellar)
* "Black is the Color of My True Love's Wig" (Gloria's new wig creates strife in her relationship with Mike)
* "Second Honeymoon" (Archie and Edith go to Atlantic City for their 25th anniversary)
* "The Taxi Caper" (Archie agrees to drop charges when he is mugged by the son of a city politician)
* "Archie is Cursed" (Archie and Irene Lorenzo argue over men and women in sports)
* "Edith's Christmas Story" (Edith gets some bad news)
* "Mike and Gloria Mix It Up" (Mike and Gloria fight)
* "Archie Feels Left Out" (Archie has a half-century crisis)
* "Et Tu, Archie" (Job insecurity)
* "Gloria's Boyfriend" (A man with Down's Syndrome has a crush on Gloria)
* "Lionel's Engagement" (A surprise awaits George Jefferson about Lionel's fiancee)
* "Archie Eats and Runs" (Archie and mushrooms)
* "Gloria Sings the Blues" (Gloria has issues with her marriage)
* "Mike's Graduation" (Mike graduates from college... or does he?)
* "Pay the Twenty Dollars" (A dispute over possibly counterfit money) "
Luis Bento Mauricio | 05/27/2005
(5 out of 5 stars)
"It's bad that the season does not have subtitles, when is so important when you have deaf problems. Should not this subtitles be a part of the standard procedures for the realeases ?
Thanks for Keeping Them Coming, Columbia Tri-Star!!!
Marcus Welby | 02/22/2005
(5 out of 5 stars)
"In the reality-based TV era, it's nice to be able to watch the classics on DVD. AITF took sitcoms to another level by using controversy, politics, and Americana and wrapping them in a funny package. AITF helps us to laugh and cry, but probably most importantly it helps us to reflect upon ourselves through real-life issues. Thanks again Columbia Tri-Star for putting this landmark series out on DVD. They are worth the wait!!!"
I'm LOCKED In The Cellar!
Jordan Zimmer | Odessa, TX | 04/11/2005
(5 out of 5 stars)
"FINALLY, season 4 of All In The Family has been released! I don't understand why Columbia Home Video is waiting so long to get these out. Season 4 contains some of the best episodes yet. The antics of the Bunker household continue as Archie, Edith, Gloria and Mike bring taboo subjects and everyday issues into our homes. We also see the addition of three new characters, Betty Garret (Irene Lorenzo) Vincent Gardenia (Frank Lorenzo) and Sherman Hemsley as George Jefferson. Combined with the cast regulars, Season 4 makes for a huge non-stop laughfest. One of my favorite episodes is when Archie accidently locks himself in the cellar and gets smashed on Polish Vodka. In Archie's haste to make a will, he is so wasted that he thinks he's dying, and therefore believes that God is coming for him, which really turns out to be the oil delivery man--who is black! Plenty of other goodies in season 4 too. I'm finally glad to see these videos coming out on DVD. My old VHS copies are so worn out they barely play anymore. Thank you Columbia Home Video, but please don't wait so long getting these titles out. Thank-YOU to the cast of AITF for the many laughs and all the memories."
Yeah, picture quality is not great, but still a must-have!!!
Classic TV Fan | Strongsville, OH | 05/19/2005
(4 out of 5 stars)
"Transfer is not great, but this series is a classic. Despite the lack of special features, this set is a must-have. Being able to watch the series develop from beginning to end is essential. The strength of AITF is in it's humorous spin on political and moral issues. The only reason I give this 4 stars instead of 5 is because of lack of attention to detail. The stories themselves sell this DVD box set. Personally, I can live without a bunch of extras as long as I get the uncut eps as they were aired. The Bunkers rule!!!"