Relive the most memorable moments from Washington's three Super Bowl victories. From the their fourth-quarter heroics against the Miami Dolphins in Super Bowl XVII; to Doug Williams, breaking records in Super Bowl XXII but... more » more importantly breaking racial stereotypes as the first African-American quarterback to ever start a Super Bowl; to their victory over the Buffalo Bills in Super Bowl XXVI. This winning DVD features hours of exclusive NFL Films footage along with revealing interviews and commentary from legends inside the Redskins huddle.« less
"This set includes three documentaries, one each on the '82, '87 and '91 seasons, when the Redskins won their three Super Bowls.
The first part of each documentary deals with regular season play, and features all 28 teams (pre-expansion), with no particular focus on the Redskins until the playoffs. There is particularly good coverage of the '86 Saints, '91 Falcons and the '82 and '91 Cowboys. The best and slickest presentation is reserved for the '91 season.
Highlights: - Tremendous Cowboy sack on Joe Theismann from the '82 season.
- Darrell Green returning a punt for a touchdown in an NFC playoff against Chicago in a freezing Soldier Field. Walter Payton's last game.
- Second Quarter of Superbowl XXII, of course, when the Redskins score 35 unanswered points.
- The Lions' Barry Sanders scoring a classic TD against the Cowboys in an NFC playoff game.
- Great blocking and tackling throughout from the Redskins. See (and hear) the great Jim Kelly get manhandled and mauled in Super Bowl XXVII.
- Short ten-minute film about NFL legend Coach Joe Gibbs, the man who changed the NFC East. According to the late Will McDonough, when Bill Parcels became head coach for the New York Giants he decided to increase the size of his linemen in direct response to what Gibbs was doing in Washington. Later Dallas did the same thing, as they also had to face Washington at least twice a year. These 300 plus pound linemen helped the NFC East win eight (and counting) Super Bowls since 1983.
Lowlights (minor quibbles):
- Warning to New York fans: the Giants are probably the least visible team in this DVD set. This is strange considering they were defending Super Bowl champions in the '87 and '91 seasons.
- We don't see Jay Schroeder throw the ball at all, even though he had a great arm. We do, however, see him getting sacked four or five times as a Redskin and as a Raider.
- Cheesy 80's music in the documentary for the '82 and '87 seasons.
- Broadcast NFL games are usually seen from a high angle, but a lot of NFL films' footage is on ground level, and close-up, so that you are sometimes lost as a viewer (you don't always see down-field blocking or the play developing). On the plus side you see close-up tackles you don't always see on TV broadcasts.
- Perhaps a few too many slow-motion shots.
Regrets: I know John Madden and Pat Summerall don't work for NFL films, but it would have been great if they could have done a commentary on these discs.
Summary: 5 stars, because it's the Washington Redskins."
A. Nasri | Maryland, USA | 03/15/2006
(4 out of 5 stars)
"Excellent DVD for those who like to reminisce the glory days. Only thing I didn't like about the DVD set is that I felt there weren't enough highlights from the game nor the season. They should show more highlights from each Redskins' game of the season. Perhaps one day they should release a Superbowl series with the entire Superbowl game (from start to finish) in it, instead of just highlights."
NFL Super Bowl Collection - Washington Redskins
Robert J. Thomas | MD | 02/28/2006
(5 out of 5 stars)
"Great Super Bowl highlights, but I would have really enjoyed it if it had shown more of the Redskins seasons, rather than spending most of the time showing all the other teams in the NFL. Otherwise, an excellent transaction!! AAAAA+++++"
Very pleased with this purchase!
Sheila Freedle | 01/14/2008
(5 out of 5 stars)
"I bought this as a Christmas present for my boyfriend, who absolutely LOVED it!! Haven't been able to tear him away from it since the holidays. A must have for any Redskins fan!!"
Duane B. Buck | Philadelphia, Pa | 01/30/2006
(5 out of 5 stars)
"This was a nice package putting together the three seasons of Redskins Super Bowls. I liked the snipets from the regular season leading to each Super Bowl.