Outplay, Outwit, Outlast: Survivor Skypiea!
Steven R. Peck | 07/30/2010
(4 out of 5 stars)
"God Eneru's Survival Game is on, and it's very similar to a certain world famous reality TV series where a bunch of people are left to fend for themselves on an otherwise uninhabited island. While this competition normally votes off players in a tribal council, the eliminations in this game are decided by combat and judged by Eneru himself as he detects with his Mantra which players have gone unconscious or perhaps dead. Three teams vie for the grand prize: a journey for 4 with Eneru to Fairy Vearth, the rightful home of God. They are Team God, led by Eneru, Team Shandia, led by Wyper, and Team Straw Hat, led by Luffy. Of course, all Team Shandia wants is to eliminate Eneru and everyone else from THEIR island home and all Team Straw Hat wants is to find all of the gold on the island, but Eneru persists in his delusion, thinking that everyone worships him anyway. Some of the more notable events:
* Priest Shura of Team God (late in Season 3, 2nd Voyage) is one of the first casualties as he gets on the receiving end of Wyper's Reject Dial (like Priest Satori's Impact Dial but about 10 times stronger and dangerous even to the wielder).
* Zoro of Team Straw Hat fights with Braham of Team Shandia (who wields dual pistols) and sets out to try to prove wrong the old adage "never bring a sword to a gun fight."
* The captains of Team Straw Hat and Team Shandia meet and eagerly begin their contest of strength, but a gigantic, hungry snake may spoil their fight.
* Chopper of Team Straw Hat wanders into the territory of Priest Gedatsu of Team God. Will Gedatsu's gadgetry win out against Chopper's Rumble Ball abilities or will they prove to be his downfall?
* Meanwhile, after taking down Kamakiri of Team Shandia, Eneru pays a visit to the Going Merry, where Nami, Usopp, Sanji, and Gan Fall have stayed while the rest of the Straw Hats search for the gold. How many of the Straw Hats will get zapped and how many will still be standing when Hotori and Kotori of Team God arrive to avenge the defeat of their brother, Priest Satori?
* Robin of Team Straw Hat, meanwhile, has managed to avoid fighting and is happily exploring some ruins for historical information and, of course, the gold. But she sees red when she spots Chief Enforcer Yama of Team God smashing the ruins for fun. Yama has made short work of Genbou of Team Shandia with a bandolier of Impact Dials, but can he beat someone who has 100 hands she can put anywhere she wants?
* At last, a handful of survivors arrive at the immense beanstalk, Giant Jack, upon which Eneru's palace rests. Chopper arrives first and climbs halfway up, only to find Priest Ohm of Team God, perhaps the very toughest of the Priests, and tries to run for his life. Zoro arrives next, being carried by a giant Southbird, and both Ohm and Zoro relish the challenge of a sword-to-sword contest. Robin then arrives at the bottom of Giant Jack where the lost city of Shandora rests (regretfully stripped of its gold). Eneru meets Robin and tells her he took the gold for himself. Laki (the only woman of Wyper's strike force and one of the last Shandians left standing) then arrives at the midpoint of Giant Jack only to be barred by Ohm's fence. Finally, Wyper and the giant snake storm up Giant Jack, the snake coughing up some players Eneru deemed initially to be lost.
* After apparently losing her father to one of Eneru's "judgements," a distraught Conis rushes back to Skypeia and orders everyone at bazooka-point (no kidding, folks!) to evacuate the town before it is destroyed.
Eneru happily chooses the 4 winners, but none of them are interested in taking the trip to Fairy Vearth with him and do their best to kill "God" right then and there (one of them ALMOST succeeds)! Just as Eneru prepares to make the trip alone, Nami shows up and, in a characteristic show of cleverness, offers to accompany him until she can find a way to give him the slip. Luffy also shows up just then with Aisa (the Shandian girl with the incredible Mantra) and is spoiling for a fight with Eneru. Luckily, Aisa knows just where "God" is. He is getting ready to launch his flying Ark (the Maxim) with Nami as his captive and to destroy both the Skypeians and Upper Yard before he leaves. Luffy jumps aboard to make sure that doesn't happen. Eneru then makes the startling discovery about why Luffy, of all the people of the world, might be able to defeat him!
Next: Luffy vs. "God" and the absolutely true story of Norland the Liar!"