Irish-made romantic zombie comedy ("RomZomCom?") about a high schooler who, when he thinks he's lost the girl of his dreams, commits suicide... then becomes Patient Zero of a zombie outbreak thanks to his well meaning (but misguided) mother, who resurrects him with a voodoo spell book. Mayhem ensues. It's way better than that description probably makes it sound...this is some very funny, twisted stuff with the same kinda vibe as the "Buffy the Vampire Slayer" TV series. It takes a little while for the zombie shenanigans to finally get goin' but once it does, there's some hilariously over the top violence and gore. If you liked "Shaun of the Dead" and/or "Zombieland" you'll dig this.
1 of 1 member(s) found this review helpful.
A review from Zombiefans!
Zombob | U.S.A. | 11/02/2007
(4 out of 5 stars)
"A typical teen "boy meets girl", "boy loses girl" "boy gets girl back" movie with a nice mix of zombie fun thrown in. I enjoyed this one a lot. Along with "Night of the Living Dorks," teen angst & zombies seem to go along pretty good.
1) The actors could act. Other than a few of the actors who little a little long in the tooth to be playing high school kids, everything was fine.
2) It was nice to see a zombie infestation resulting from a voodoo incident, instead of from outer space or some chemical or viral infection.
3) The plot was good, and didn't stray hardly at all with sub-plots involving secondary characters, unless it tied into the main storyline. Grace is working at a catholic church, cleaning and rehabbing much of the insides and catacombs in the basement levels. She finds the book by accident, and then later when she needs it, she sneaks it out of the church.
4) The blood and gore was plentiful. People are getting killed & eaten left and right on screen for all your gratuitous pleasure. During the blood drenched finale, a character ends up driving what I will call a "tree / wood chipper on wheels" and to fight off the attacking zombie mob, she drives right into it. Many a leg and arm are sent flying as the zombies are pretty much "chewed up and spit out."
5) The zombies in this flick are "Snyder Runners." They don't stalk or shamble, they just run to attack their next victim.
6) The cure, the cure, the cure. There really aren't a lot of zombie flicks where a zombie can be cured after turning. Nathan, the zombie / hero lead whose well-intentioned mom brought back from the dead, is cured of his condition. A few times in the movie, he gave in to his carnal urges and killed and ate a few people. I would've thought after that, there would be no turning back, but I guess not. When his mom returns the book to the church, she is attacked in the crypt by the (now turned) zombie priest. After a brief struggle, she grabs a snake that was in the crypt and has it bite the attacking priest. As the poison enters the priest's bloodstream, the priest is no longer a zombie. So mom goes off with snake in hand, to find Nathan. Will she find Nathan in time? Or will she get attacked by the zombies?
Overall, this was a good fun flick. Nothing really new, other than the snake bite, is brought to the genre. This movie was described as "Shaun of the Dead" meets "American Pie." I think that is a pretty good description of this flick. There was hardly anything to really complain about other than the shortness of the movie (77 minutes), and I would recommend this movie for all to see.
RATING: 4 out of 5"
Nothing you havent seen before
Micheal Hunt | Hellbourne | 11/13/2007
(2 out of 5 stars)
"Some reviews you read about this film always focus on acting and effects... sure, those are ok, but as an overall movie it takes alot more then that to get my attention.
I felt like I'd seen this before, the first half of the movie is a drama, then all of a sudden a kid gets drunk and hangs himself and his mommy brings him back from the dead... blink and you will miss it, then there is the crazy priest warning her about her bad doing then an outbreak of zombies take over the town.
Same plot to a billion other movies I've seen, and this one sure is not the worst one I have ever seen, it wasn't too bad, but it is far from being one of the best I have seen either.
There where too many bits I was bored during, and then the end just goes too fast paced and hard to keep up with when your chewing your toenails at the same time.
And I hate when they print on the covers of these things, "best flick i saw in years" - some fake company we made up... or on the US version, "This zombie loves his girlfriend for her brains" errr, no he doesn't, nothing in the movie indicated that at all.
Overall, it may or might not interest you, but don't expect a classic you will never forget. It's pretty average."
Derrick Jenkins | Hampton VA USA | 04/06/2008
(4 out of 5 stars)
"It wasnt what i thought it was.
But that ended up being a very good thing a solid mix of comedy, violence and lots of blood. It is a movie about zombies after all. Its great how they are all mixed together at key times during the movies with the characters in peril or about to being eaten. The comedy comes in and relieves the tension. Its basically about a guy that witnesses what he believes his best friend (Samantha Mumba) out on the town with another guy. Its a big deal for him because he sees what he believes is her "helping" the guy out in the car...even though that isnt what happens.
So he goes and tries to hang himself in desparation while doing so his mom comes in and knocks something over thereby killing him. It didnt look like he was actually going to go through with it. But anyways his mom finds a voodoo book that has things about reanimation. She steals it of course without knowing that something is missing in the book. He wakes up and suddenly has no feeling, an insatiable thrist and of course a hunger for human flesh. He bites the school's resident jerk while on football field after he seems him with his "girl". I only say that way because she seems to not have a problem getting down with just about anyone.
All hell breaks loose after that i could go on and everything. But its better to witness the rest of the mayhem that ensues on your own. Its worthy of nothing else at least a rent and after that i believe. If you go into the movie without any preconcieved notions on the movie that you will enjoy it. I had a blast with this one and clocking in at 80 minutes it isnt too long and will keep your attention for the time your watching it."
Great gore, good zombie movie
C. Merced | Stamford, CT and sometimes in Puerto Rico | 09/08/2008
(3 out of 5 stars)
"I was expecting a B or C or Z movie...but, dare I say it...this is actually good. First, the type of zombie: the first zombie is a voodoo zombie but, that soon turns into infected-by-bite zombies.
Plot: Boy likes girl, boy mistakenly thinks girl is hooking up with another boy and boy becomes all frustrated and dies by a freak kind-of-death. Mom revives boy in voodoo ritual and boy becomes a zombie. But, this guy still has his mental faculties intact; a new kind of zombie indeed. Can he resist enough to not eat the girl he likes? The movie is good because it is entertaining. Plus, it has lots of top grade impressive gore (involving heavy machinery!) and has a decent storyline. Let me mention this again, this gore would make Dario Argento (Suspiria (2-Disc Special Edition)Opera) proud.
The one bad thing about this movie is that the "teenagers" are more around their mid-twenties and look it, and there are quite a few loose ends that are never tied up and there should have been way more zombies. Regardless, pretty good zombie/zombie-spoof movie. And by the way, the teenager's mom looks an awful lot like Sarah Palin...3 1/2 stars."
WATCH IT AND IF YOU LOVE ZOMBIES THEN YOU WILL LOVE IT!
hjtras | Horseheads, N.Y. | 08/22/2008
(5 out of 5 stars)
"Big time zombie lover here. Whether it be books or movies, I love it as long as there is flesh eating dead people in it. There have been some horrible zombie flicks out there that have made me question my dedicated devotion upon the living dead. This was no such film. This movie made me jump at least 12 times. I call this the "jump factor". I rate a lot of movies based on how many times I jump and scream. This one nailed the jump factor. What is so hilarious is that this movie has a dark humor undertone within it. Guess what...I still jumped!!! Big time achievement in that department. So, kudos coming out of my arse for this movie!"