Discussion Forums - Questions about SwapaDVD

Topic: Are cracked discs postable if they are playable?

Club rule - Please, if you cannot be courteous and respectful, do not post in this forum.
Blindzombie74 (Sean K.)

Subject: Are cracked discs postable if they are playable?
Date Posted: 4/24/2014 11:23 AM ET

Received a disc that is cracked in the center. I tested it and it seems to play fine. The only rule I could find says the disc must be "playable". It wouldn't be an issue if I was going to keep it. But I'd like to trade it out when I'm done. I want to avoid a reputation for selling damaged goods.

musiclover (Valerie L.)

Date Posted: 4/24/2014 12:27 PM ET

I read somewhere in the help section not to play cracked discs.  You can mark received with a problem.  Damaged by USPS. 

DeucesWild (John S.)

Date Posted: 4/24/2014 12:56 PM ET

Crack??  Ack!!!  No!

Crack kills :)

Last Edited on: 4/25/14 11:39 AM EST - Total times edited: 1
KateWisdom (Renee K.)

Date Posted: 5/19/2014 5:55 AM ET

I know I've received a few discs with cracked spindles from the system and in games, but I never felt comfortable mentioning it because I couldn't find it spelled out in the FAQ and I didn't want to make trouble, but I finally decided to ask The Powers That Be and they responded:

Me:

Assuming that the disc has been tested and plays all the way through with no problem, does a small spindle crack (in the clear plastic center ring) that does not touch the play area make a disc unpostable? Obviously it's not preferable, but I wasn't sure if it makes a disc unpostable or not.

Obviously it's not preferable, but I wasn't sure if it makes a disc unpostable or not.

SaDVD response:

This disc would not be postable, but you are welcome to offer it in the Bazaar as long as you describe the crack accurately. It would be too easy for cracks on that clear ring to spread, making the disc totally unplayable. Thanks for checking with us first.

If there is anything else we can do for you, please feel free to contact us. Thank you for being a Charter Member of the best DVD club in America. Please tell everyone who enjoys watching movies about our club, because the more members we have the more DVDs for everyone to trade!

gumgub (Douglas M.)

Date Posted: 5/19/2014 10:37 PM ET

There is some risk that these discs will become unbalanced and jam the player. This is especially true in a PC drive, which is capable of spinning the disc more rapidly than a standalone player does.

KateWisdom (Renee K.)

Date Posted: 7/27/2017 4:56 PM ET

Even though it's kind of ancient, because this has been an issue for me lately I thought it would be a good idea to bump it.

Last Edited on: 7/27/17 6:00 PM EST - Total times edited: 1
jasecw (Jason K.)

Date Posted: 7/28/2017 4:51 PM ET

Same here  I receive cracked discs atleast 20% of the time on here I'm getting tired of RWAP'ing People need to check their dvds more carefully.

glowbird (Gloria B.)

Date Posted: 8/27/2017 9:55 AM ET

I would hope that no one is posting dvds with a crack around the spindle hole!  Evntually the crack will spread into the play area. 

My theory is that if there is a sticker around the spindle hole that it protects the disc from cracking--and that removing stickers is the cause. Another cause are some cases that have a tight fitting spindle holder, discs are impossible to remove from them.  I'd replace the case if this is an issue.