Subject: I have found a DVD that I think you would enjoy
|Box Office Gold 50 Movie Pack|
Actors: Ron Howard, Kirk Douglas, Kim Cattrall, Elizabeth Hurley, Mickey Rooney
Genres: Comedy, Drama, Kids & Family
All your favorite stars come together in this amazing collection of drama, comedy, action and suspense! What a line-up: Anthony Hopkins, George C. Scott, Tommy Lee Jones, Helena Bonham Carter, John Lithgow, Goldie Hawn, El... more »
Hollywood Who's Who is here here
Annie Van Auken | Planet Earth | 04/10/2008
(4 out of 5 stars)
"BOX OFFICE GOLD 50 Movie Pack offers over 80 hours worth of lesser known films featuring several dozen renowned actors-- some in starring roles, others in support and a few in early career bit parts. A good portion of this box set are now-forgotten TV films. Many titles are European-made but feature American or British stars.
Among the many curios here are:
Elizabeth Taylor and Andy Warhol in "The Driver's Seat."
Lee Marvin co-starring in a "kiddie" film ("The Missouri Traveler").
The cartoon voice of Fred Flintstone (Alan Reed) appears as a professor in "The Seniors." Includes a young Dennis Quaid.
Minta Durfee (Fatty Arbuckle's ex-wife and silent comedy co-star) has one last cameo in "The Steagle."
Several Nashville stars in support of Tom Selleck as "The Concrete Cowboy."
A very young Tommy Lee Jones in the Canadian-made "Emily's Horoscope."
Check below for who appears in "Mooch Goes to Hollywood." 'Nuff said!
Although no sign of film restoration is apparent, transfer quality of MCE's public domain movies is uniformly good. Their dual-side recorded discs usually contain two titles per side and are housed in gloss-coated heavy paper sleeves. Easy access storage boxes are sturdy and remarkably compact.
HOLLYWOOD LEGENDS 50 Movie Pack (also from MCE) would be a good supplement to this collection.
Parenthetical numbers preceding titles are 1 to 10 viewer poll ratings found at a film resource website.
(5.9) Act of Love (TV-1980) - Ron Howard/Robert Foxworth/Mickey Rourke /Mary Kaye Place
(5.1) Against All Hope (1982) - Michael Madsen/Maureen McCarthy
(5.2) Agency (Canada-1980) - Robert Mitchum/Lee Majors/Valerie Perrine/Saul Rubinek
(4.4) Angels Hard as They Come (1971) - Scott Glenn/Charles Dierkop/Gilda Texter/Gary Busey
(5.4) Arch of Triumph (TV-UK-1985) - Anthony Hopkins/Lesley-Anne Down/Donald Pleasence
(3.6) C.C. and Company (1970) - Joe Namath/Ann-Margret/William Smith/Jennifer Billingsley
(5.4) Callie & Son (TV-1981) - Lindsay Wagner/Dabney Coleman/Michelle Pfeiffer/Andrew Prine
(3.4) Casablanca Express (Italy-1989) - Jason Connery/Francesco Quinn/Donald Pleasence/Glenn Ford
(5.1) Catch Me a Spy ("To Catch a Spy") (France/UK/USA-1971) - Kirk Douglas/Trevor Howard
(4.8) Choices (1981) - Val Avery/George Barrows/Pat Buttram/Demi Moore/Don Stark
(7.5) Christabel (TV-UK-1988) - Elizabeth Hurley
(5.7) Cold War Killers (TV-UK-1986) - Terence Stamp
(4.6) The Concrete Cowboys (TV-1979) - Jerry Reed/Tom Selleck/Morgan Fairchild/Claude Akins/Roy Acuff/Ray Stevens/Barbara Mandrell
(5.6) Cop in Blue Jeans (Italy-1976) - Jack Palance
(7.1) Crossbar (TV-1979) - Kim Cattrell/John Ireland
(4.1) The Day Time Ended (1980) - Jim Davis/Christopher Mitchum/Dorothy Malone
(6.3) The Deadly Companions (1961) - Maureen O'Hara/Brian Keith/Steve Cochran/Chill Wills/Strother Martin
(5.3) Dear Mr. Wonderful (W Germany-1983) - Joe Pesci/Richard S. Castellano/Tony Martin
(5.1) Death Scream (France/Italy-1971) - Faye Dunaway/Frank Langella
(3.4) Delta Force Commando (Italy/W Ger-1987) - Fred Williamson/Bo Svenson/Brett Baxter Clark
(4.1) The Driver's Seat (Italy-1974) - Elizabeth Taylor/Ian Bannen/Andy Warhol
(4.6) Eliza's Horoscope (Canada-1975) - Tommy Lee Jones
(4.7) Ginger in the Morning (1974) - Monte Markham/Sissy Spacek/Slim Pickens/David Doyle/Fred Ward
(???) Guns of the Revolution ("Rains for a Dusty Summer") (USA/Mexico-1971) - Ernest Borgnine
(4.9) Hard Knox (TV-1984) - Robert Conrad/Red West/Joan Sweeny/Bill Erwin/Alan Ruck/Dennis Farina
(6.6) A Hazard of Hearts (TV-UK-1987) - Diana Rigg/Christopher Plummer/Stewart Granger
(5.6) High Risk (USA/Mexico-1981) - James Brolin/Anthony Quinn/Lindsay Wagner/James Coburn/Ernest Borgnine/Bruce Davison/Cleavon Little
(4.4) It Seemed Like a Good Idea at the Time (Canada-1975) - Anthony Newley/Isaac Hayes/Yvonne De Carlo/John Candy
(6.8) Jane Eyre (TV-UK/USA-1970) - George C. Scott/Susannah York/Jack Hawkins
(5.6) Jory (Mexico-USA-1973) - B.J. Thomas/Robby Benson/Howard Hesseman (uncredited)
(5.8) Kangaroo (1952) - Maureen O'Hara/Peter Lawford/Finlay Currie/Richard Boone
(4.4) Lovers and Liars (Italy/France-1980) - Goldie Hawn/Giancarlo Giannini
(4.3) Mean Johnny Barrows (1976) - Fred Williamson/Roddy McDowall/Stuart Whitman/Elliott Gould
(4.6) Mesmerized (Australia/New Zealand/UK-1986) - Jodie Foster/John Lithgow/Michael Murphy
(6.6) The Missouri Traveler (1958) - Brandon De Wilde/Lee Marvin/Gary Merrill/Paul Ford.
(5.5) Mooch Goes to Hollywood (TV-1971) - Vincent Price/James Darren/Jill St. John/Jim Backus/Marty Allen/Richard Burton/Phyllis Diller/Zsa Zsa Gabor/Sam Jaffe/Rose Marie/Dick Martin/Darren McGavin/Edward G. Robinson/Cesar Romero/Mickey Rooney
(5.3) Portrait of a Showgirl (TV-1982) - Lesley Ann Warren/Rita Moreno/Tony Curtis/Howard Morris/Hamilton Camp
(6.8) Powderkeg (TV-1971) - Rod Taylor/Dennis Cole/Fernando Lamas/John McIntire/Michael Ansara
(5.9) The River Niger (1976) - James Earl Jones/Cicely Tyson/Louis Gossett Jr.
(6.9) Rogue Male (TV-UK-1976) - Peter O'Toole/John Standing/Alastair Sim/Harold Pinter
(5.3) Scandal Sheet (TV-1985) - Burt Lancaster/Lauren Hutton/Robert Urich/Frances McDormand
(4.5) The Seniors (1978) - Dennis Quaid/Alan Reed/Alan Hewitt
(4.6) Shaker Run (New Zealand-1985) - Cliff Robertson/Leif Garrett
(4.7) Slipstream (UK-1989) - Mark Hamill/Bill Paxton/Robbie Coltrane/Ben Kingsley/F.Murray Abraham
(6.7) Somewhere, Tomorrow (1983) - Sarah Jessica Parker/Elizabeth Shue
(4.0) The Steagle (1971) - Richard Benjamin/Chill Wills/Cloris Leachman/Diane Ladd/Minta Durfee
(3.2) There Goes the Bride (UK-1980) - Phil Silvers/Sylvia Syms/Tom Smothers/Jim Backus/Broderick Crawford/Martin Balsam
(6.5) Twisted Nerve (UK-1968) - Hayley Mills
(5.5) Twisted Obsession (Spain/France-1989) - Jeff Goldblum/Miranda Richardson/Anémone/Dexter Fletcher/Liza Walker
(4.0) The Yin and Yang of Mr. Go (UK-1970) - James Mason/Jeff Bridges/Burgess Meredith/Broderick Crawford"
Best video transfer of any Mill Creek set by far
Matt Sweeney | staten island, ny | 04/16/2008
(4 out of 5 stars)
"I was a little hesitant to order this title because my experience with Mill Creek color transfers of movies from the 70's and 80's has been spotty. What a pleasant surprise. I quickly scanned the movies and I was on disk 8 before I found anything that wasn't good or great quality, and even so, the movies are still watchable. Don't know about the quality of the actual movies, but if you've been burned by bad transfers before, you won't be disappointed by this set. One more thing--unlike the other Mill Creek sets that have 12 double-sided dvds, this has 13 disks with the movies on 1 side."
Great value for the price -- List of movies
D. C. Squires | High in the sky traveling at Mach-2 | 03/09/2008
(4 out of 5 stars)
"Usual standard movies; Good value as sets go though, as noted from thir previous sets the quality is some-what lacking. Some of the titles are on other sets. IMDB.com is a great source for reviews of the movies. No real review yet just a list of the titles included in the set from the "Mill Creek" website:
1. Act of Love
2. Against All Hope
4. Angels Hard as They Come
5. Arch of Triumph
6. C.C. and Company
7. Callie & Son
8. Casablanca Express
9. Catch Me a Spy
12. Cold War Killers
13. Concrete Cowboys, The
14. Cop in Blue Jeans, The
16. Day Time Ended, The
17. Deadly Companions, The
18. Dear Mr. Wonderful
19. Death Scream
20. Delta Force Commando
21. Driver's Seat, The
22. Eliza's Horoscope
23. Ginger in the Morning
24. Guns of the Revolution
25. Hard Knox
26. Hazard of Hearts, A
27. High Risk
28. It Seemed Like a Good Idea at the Time
29. Jane Eyre (1971)
32. Lovers & Liars
33. Mean Johnny Barrows
35. Missouri Traveler, The
36. Mooch Goes to Hollywood
37. Portrait of a Showgirl
39. River Niger, The
40. Rogue Male
41. Scandal Sheet
42. Seniors, The
43. Shaker Run
45. Somewhere, Tomorrow
46. Steagle, The
47. There Goes the Bride
48. Twisted Nerve
49. Twisted Obsession
50. Yin and Yang of Mr. Go, The
MILL CREEK'S HOMAGE TO THE MARVELOUS MAVERICK MOVIE MAKERS O
J. Faulk | New York NY USA | 03/13/2009
(5 out of 5 stars)
"Theatrical and TV movies lifted from VHS cassettes: 26 from 1970s, 21 from 80s, 1 from 60s, 2 from 50s. Each disk is in a protective envelope bearing titles, leading actors, time, rating, and 5-6-line synopsis, all thanks to Mill Creek's research staff. The cassettes were acquired by Mill Creek scouts at Beverly Hills garage sales since 2001. Here's the first 7 pics Your Reviewer watched. (If you have children under 30 in the home, note RED FLAGS!)
(1) "Drivers Seat." A poor man's Antonioni torta with Liz Taylor wearing an incredibly clashing blouse, skirt, and coat thruout. In some Italian city, she encounters men with one thing on their mind. But the mystification is, What's on her mind? The pic escalates to la forza del destino in an ominous nighttime park. RED FLAG! see-thru bra, attempted rape in taxi by handsome lothario in zippered jumpsuit, Andy Warhol, Nora Washbourne.
(2) "A Hazard of Hearts." A pulpy costume drama by Barbara Cartland. Christopher Plummer loses everything at the dice table, including selling daughter Helena Bonham Carter for matrimony. Diana Riggs is the villainess, James Fox the villain. He is photographed unkindly and looks 4 feet tall. Old white-haired Stewart Granger has a cameo and is surprisingly sweet. RED FLAG! attempted rape in enclosed carriage at full gallop, sword cane, obvious dentures.
(3) "Steagle." A coined name combining Pittsburgh Steelers and Philadelphia Eagles--football being an enthusiasm of Professor Richard Benjamin. The sudden super threat of the Cuban missile crisis crazies him up and he flys off to some major U.S. cities, fantasizing himself into various roles. His adventure in LA ends on a movie set with attacking hordes of every enemy in the book. Benjamin's acting thruout is comic-superb. RED FLAG! semi-mutual sex in front seat of car, close dancing, sex with WWII victory girl, bermuda shorts with kneesocks, Chill Wills.
(4) "Act of Love." After Mickey Rourke breaks his neck, brother Ron Howard is faced with the dilemma of euthanasia. Actor Ron is riveting on the witness stand. Actor Mickey, with a very youthful face and voice, reaches to his very depths with just a few lines in the ICU. RED FLAG! sawed-off shotgun, hard-hearted prosecutor, sleep-deprivation defense.
(5) "Christabel." English girl Elizabth Hurley marries German lawyer Stephen Dillane, and they are swept up in Hitler's rise and WWII. He is imprisoned as a suspect in the bomb plot to kill Hitler. She goes to the prison camp and tries to brazen her way to achieve his release. RED FLAG! three hangings by piano wire on meat hooks, two obnoxious Nazi little girls, print dresses with puffed sleeves.
(6) "Twisted Obsession." A.K.A. "Mad Monkey." Jeff Goldblum, a screen writer in Paris, is brought into a movie project instigated by a young Englishman who has like one bean to put into the pot, but his cool little sister is quite a tool. (Yes, raw sex will steam up your home screen.) Jeff has lots of female problems, including Miranda Richardson on wheels. A nasty picture! RED FLAG! shaved whatchamacallit, oral youknowwhat, peeping-tommy little boy, formaldehyde vat.
(7) "Twisted Nerve." This is the reason Your Reviewer had to have this box. The pic is co-scripted by Leo Marks of "Peeping Tom" notoriety. Pic opens with a disclaimer negating any link between Down syndrome and criminality. Hywel Bennett is shown playing ball with his Down brother, but Hywel's brain is twisted by a different chromosomal flaw. He can be childish or murderish. Hayley Mills and her mother Billie Whitelaw attempt to handle him. As kind as Hayley is, she's not up for rape by a genetic curiosity. Lots of sexy verbal zingers, but only one scissors stabbing and one hatcheted hairdo. RED FLAG! Hywel's beefy rump, attempted rape at swimming hole, a copy of Pathologia Sexualis, solitary confinement in nuthouse.
T H E E N D