Subject: I have found a DVD that I think you would enjoy
|Kathy Smith - Step Workout|
Actors: Dr. Todd J. Molnar, Kathy Smith, Kathleen Smith
Genres: Exercise & Fitness
Kathy Smith's Step Workout is a splendid introduction to step for the novice, and a solid workout for intermediates. The main workout consists of three 12-minute, progressive step segments. Beginners do only the first, the... more »
Similarly Requested DVDs
Member Movie Reviews
Trish S. (HarleyT) from MORENO VALLEY, CA
Reviewed on 4/18/2008...
Lots of fun...I like this DVD because of the workout, but also because of all of the information it gives to the stepper...I didn't know that stepping was the equivalent of jogging 7 miles per hour! She also give step heights for different abilities and very clear, consise instructions. Okay, the clothes and hair are a bit dated and the music is kindy hokey, but I did get a great workout and was able to redo the a section with just the push of button to get a full 45 minute aerobic session (otherwise it's 35 minutes Beg, 10, Inter, 13, Adv 12) I think you'll like this one
1 of 1 member(s) found this review helpful.
Great overall step aerobics video
AC | Ventura County, CA, United States | 11/19/2002
(5 out of 5 stars)
"Fitness-wise, I'm at the beginner level because I haven't worked out for a couple of years after having my first child. However, I've done step aerobics classes before, so I'm not a total neophyte in that area. At the same time, I'm not into dancy moves & prefer easy-to-follow steps. When I decided that I needed to get back into shape, I bought this video at the same time I bought my step. Pros:
- Movements are not difficult to follow & gave me a good workout even at my very first use.- Absolute beginners can benefit from one step model who is right at front & demonstrates simpler moves
- It's not boring & most of the steppers look enthusiastic enough
- Broken up into 12-14 minutes sections so you can customize your workout (when I started, I was only able to do segment#1, so I skipped to the cool-down section immediately. Now I can do all 3 aerobic segments).
- Has cool-down segments & toning segments as well
- Kathy Smith has fairly good cuing in this video (2 or 3 slip-ups, but it doesn't bother me anymore) & straight-forward instructions
- Good intro at the beginning to give you safety tips for your workout. However, this is also a drawback since I don't need to watch this part anymore & have to fast-forward everytime I use the videoCons:
- Movements may be too simple/boring for intermediate-advanced steppers or those who like a lot of dancy movements
- The intro at the beginning of the tape is kind of long & you'll have to fast-forward through it to get to the warm-up segmentBottom line:
This video is a good workout for beginners, beginner-intermediate, and for people who don't want to deal with complicated dancy moves. Combined with a low-fat, sensible & balanced diet, you can start losing that extra weight!"
Excellent Total Body Workout!
mwreview | Northern California, USA | 02/11/2002
(5 out of 5 stars)
"I work out every day and use a step aerobics tape between 4-7 days a week. This one is one of my favorites in a rotation of 13 videos I currently use. Kathy Smith is one of the best instructors. Her directions are so good that, after using this tape a few times, one can actually complete the moves without having to watch the screen (which makes it easier to maintain proper body alignment). She mirrors her instructions (when she says "left" she means YOUR "left") and it's very fun. Smith and her crew seem to have a great time which, to me, rubs off on the viewer! The video starts with an 8-minute warm-up and follows with three step segments from beginning level to advanced (12, 13, and 10 minutes respectively). One can fast-foward to the 5-minute cool down after the first or second segments if they are just beginning step aerobics or if they are hard-pressed for time). After aerobics, there is a 5-minute ab toning segment which utilizes the inclined function of the Original Step. Finally, there is an 8-minute upper body toning segment using hand-weights (one can probably improvise with cans of veggies, etc.) Finally, you cool down with a 5-minute stretching segment. Few videos are as well-rounded as this one and, although it's about an hour and ten minutes long, it's over before you know it because it is so fun!"
A fantastic step workout
J. Stevens | Eden Prairie, MN | 02/12/2008
(5 out of 5 stars)
"This is a re-release of one of Kathy Smith's VHS workouts from around 2003. It is my all-time favourite step workout ever, from any instructor. It breaks down like this:
- An 8 minute warmup
- A 12 minute step routine (beginners) but is great for all levels!
- A 13 minute intermediate step routine but is also great for all levels.
- A 10 minute advanced step routine.
- A 5 minute lower body cool down
- A 5 minute abdominal toning session
- 8 minutes of upper body
- 5 minutes of a cool down and stretch.
The biggest asset to Kathy's DVD's is that it is suitable for all levels. She classifies parts of her DVD as beginner / intermediate / advanced but it is more so that beginners can just do 12 minutes of stepping, etc. The whole workout is fantastic and is not too hard to follow. I am not the most co-ordinated person in the world and I can do her workout without stumbling around like an idiot (which trust me, I would do if it contained a lot of dancey-steps).
I would highly recommend this DVD to anyone that is interested in step aerobics. It's a great workout and you won't be disappointed!"