Subject: I have found a DVD that I think you would enjoy
|Rebel Salute 2005 Back to The Foundation|
Genres: Indie & Art House, Music Video & Concerts
Features Jimmy Cliff, Sly and Robbie, Mutabaruka, Johnny Clark, Max Romeo, Ras Michael and Tony Rebel Live On Stage performance held in Jamaica.
Crucial Collection of Roots Reggae
D. McDavitt | Arlington, VA United States | 12/30/2005
(4 out of 5 stars)
"This dvd is one of an excellent 3 dvd collection documenting the 2005 marathon 14 hour (8pm-10am)Reggae festival "Rebel Salute" held in Port Kaiser in St. Elizabeth, Jamaica (along with "Dancehall" and "Roots Singers"). While many Reggae productions to come out of Jamaica suffer from poor sound, video, and production- This one is GREAT! The video is clear & sharp, they use multiple camera angles, and for the most part shoot what you'd hope they would (a strange exception is during Sly & Robbie's performances- where they linger on a distant stage shot for an amazingly long time, and seem to actively avoid showing Sly Dunbar- ironically he IS shown on the stage screen). Audio is stereo only, but nicely mixed, and crisp & clear- but with nice bass (it dips a couple times- but only for a second at a time- seems like stage mix issues) . Most performances are strong (except the amaturish "bonus" song by Marsha Hall). A lovely collection of One Drop, Steppers, Dub Poetry, Dub, Nyahbingi, etc. Clarke, Rebel, Mutabaruka, and Sly & Robbie deliver the stongest performances, but there are very few weak spots.
1. Max Romeo ("War Ina Babylon", "3 Blind Mice")
2. Johnny Clarke ("Soldier","Broken", "Take my Hand", "Rock With Me Baby ")
3. Ras Micheal (3 laid back Nyahbingi tunes with guitar, 400 years ina Babylon)
4. Mutabaruka (The People's Court, Bun Dung Babylon , System, Dem No Understand, Johnny Drughead, King of Glory, Monkey Speaks His Mind, Dis Poem)
5. Sly & Robbie (4 live [vocaless] dub tunes with horns)
6. Jimmy Cliff (solo keys ballad "Lover in Me")
7. Tony Rebel w/ J. Cliff (People Let's Get Together)
I enthusiastically recommend this Roots concert!"