Subject: I have found a DVD that I think you would enjoy
|The Secret Life of the American Teenager Volume Two|
Actors: Shailene Woodley, Daren Kagasoff, Ken Baumann, Molly Ringwald, Mark Derwin
Genres: Comedy, Drama, Kids & Family, Television
The drama and secrets continue in the top rated second season of the hit ABC Family original series that has fans and critics buzzing all across America. Good girl band geek Amy is smart, talented and pregnant. That's just... more »
Similarly Requested DVDs
Enjoyable and fun. Some storylines were a bit far off but o
Dennis A. Amith (kndy) | California | 06/27/2009
(4 out of 5 stars)
"The ABC Family series "THE SECRET LIFE OF THE AMERICAN TEENAGER" received a lot of attention during its first season as the series was critically acclaimed and also how ABC Family didn't sugarcoat the challenges of teenage pregnancy. Showing us the ramifications of being pregnant as a young teen but also the responsibilities and difficult choices one needs to make. The series was also popular for its portrayal of teenagers of today. Again, nothing sugarcoated and despite it being on ABC Family, the series shows us the real-life challenges that teenagers are facing. These characters are just regular people, not upper class and each of them have their own set of problems.
The series primarily focuses on the life of teenager Amy Juergens (Shailene Woodley). Your typical girl next door. A 15-year-old who plays the French Horn in a band and part of a typical American family ala dysfunctional. During a summer at band cap, Amy met her high school band's "player" Rickey Underwood (Darren Kagasoff) and with one very quick one night stand, this teenager had her life change in ways she would never imagine. Amy has gotten pregnant and through each episode, we would see how Amy copes with her pregnancy, how she had to contend with morning sickness, becoming the talk of the school and even at one point, considering an abortion.
In the second season, Amy now must face the realization that she has responsibilities and that she can't depend on her parents for everything. But also major changes for each character as the season progresses.
Here is what is included on "THE SECRET LIFE OF THE AMERICAN TEENAGER - SEASON TWO" DVD (summaries, no spoilers):
* EPISODE 12 - The Secret Wedding of the American Teenager - Because Amy is not ready for the responsibility of being a mother (and thinking her mother and father will automatically take care of the baby), she wants Ben to consider marrying her immediately via eloping (using fake ID's). Meanwhile, Amy's mother Anne requests a divorce from George and that he should move out of the house.
* EPISODE 13 - Baked Nevada - Both Amy and Ben's father are upset that their children tried to get married. Meanwhile, Adrian's father (who is a cop) tries to find out where the fake ID's came from.
* EPISODE 14 - The Father and the Son - Rickey's father comes to town and tells Amy's parents that his son can't be trusted and the bad blood between Rickey and his father is reborn. Meanwhile, Adrian's father tries to have his daughter keep away from Rickey.
* EPISODE 15 - That's Enough of That - Rickey tries to cope with his father's request to sell his and Amy's baby for money. Meanwhile, Amy can now find out the sex of her unborn child. And Jack serves his community service and discovers something big.
* EPISODE 16 - Chocolate Cake - Amy talks to Rickey about putting the baby up for adoption. Meanwhile, George's co-worker (a gay couple) is interested in being adoptive parents. Meanwhile, Rickey upsets Ben and puts into his head that she wants the baby's father in her life.
* EPISODE 17 - Unforgiven - Amy and Ben have difficulties in their relationship and now Ben needs some time away from Amy. Meanwhile, Anne and George try to help Amy by looking for adoptive parents. Jack finds a new girl that he is interested in.
* EPISODE 18 - Making Up Is Hard to Do - Ashley is trying to find a way to get Amy and Ben back together. Meanwhile, Rickey causes problems during the adoption interview process. Adrian meets a guy who likes her for her and not for sex.
* EPISODE 19 - Money for Nothing, Chicks For Free - Anne tries to look for a job and Ashley meets a guy who is interested in her. Meanwhile, Jack gets himself into a little trouble.
* EPISODE 20 - Maybe Baby - Ben's father wants Ben to know a big lesson about money and that if he wants to marry Amy and take care of a baby, he will need to make money on his own. Meanwhile, everyone comes to visit Amy and give her advice about the baby. And Amy makes a decision about her baby and if she's read to put the baby up for adoption or to keep it.
* EPISODE 21 - Whoomp! (There It Is) - It's Amy's baby shower but the problem is that she may be going into labor. Meanwhile, Grace makes a big decision in her life.
* EPISODE 22 - One Night at Band Camp - While Amy is in labor, she remembers the day that she and Rickey met.
* EPISODE 23 - And Unto Us a Child Is Born - Amy gives birth to her baby and Rickey comes to the full realization that he has a child. Amy's father moves out of the house and Ashley also makes a major decision with her life.
The main premise of "SEASON TWO" is Amy getting near the date she is to give birth but all the emotions she has to deal with. Having to take responsibilities as a mother, having to decide if she needs to give the baby up for adoption or keep the baby and how she will have two men in her life. Of course, each of the other characters have their own storylines and drama but every character is utilized well in this second season and I was quite impressed. The second season was just as touching, emotional and enjoyable as the first season.
VIDEO & AUDIO:
Fortunately, the series is in 16×9 widescreen and because it's a newer series, the overall series looks good on DVD. Audio selection is regular stereo or Dolby Digital 5.1. Primary audio is mostly dialogue but you will have music segments which utilizes your speakers more than anything. But dialogue is clear. And for music, very cool to hear Molly Ringwald sing the opening theme.
"THE SECRET LIFE OF THE AMERICAN TEENAGER" comes with a few special features. Included are:
* "Secret Life (You and Me) by the Strange Familiar Music Video - (3:55) A ballad sung by The Strange Familiar featuring clips from "THE SECRET LIFE OF THE AMERICAN TEENAGER" Season One.
* Character Secrets: The Cast Tells All - (10:09) Featuring interviews with the cast members of "THE SECRET LIFE OF THE AMERICAN TEENAGER". The cast members discuss their characters and their role in the series and also talk about their favorite characters in the series.
* Cast Close-Ups - Going behind-the-scenes of "THE SECRET LIFE OF THE AMERICAN TEENAGER". This is a section in which a young teen named Mikela gets to learn about the making of the TV show and interviewing crew members and cast members. The interviews featured are Mikela with:
- Shailene Woodley - (2:59) Interview with the the actress who plays Amy Juergens.
- Mark Derwin - (3:07) Interview with the actor who plays George Juergens.
- Molly Ringwald - (1:33) Interview with the actress who plays Anne Juergens.
- Megan Park - (2:37) Interview with the actress who plays Grace Kathleen Bowman.
- Daren Kagasoff - (3:06) Interview with the actor who plays Rickey Underwood.
- Greg Finley - (1:29) Interview with the actor who plays Jack Pappas.
- Ken Baumann - (1:12) Interview with the actor who plays Benjamin "Ben" Boykewich.
- India Eisley - (1:53) Interview with the actress who plays Ashley Juergens.
- Francia Raisa - (1:37) Interview with the actress who plays Adrian Lee.
"THE SECRET LIFE OF THE AMERICAN TEENAGER" was another enjoyable season that was just as solid as the first. Well-acted, awesome storyline and great how each character was utilized throughout the series and overall, a good balance of fun and teenage angst.
The characters are quite likable and pretty much what is happening with American teenagers today. These are characters and storylines that young people and parents can relate to.
The series does a great job at handling the character development of each character and of course, with topics focusing on sex and friendship but also ramifications that result from sex (one night stands, cheating, affairs, etc.). This second season goes further as Amy learns that having a baby is her responsibility and that her expectation of her parents taking care of the baby full time while she attends school goes out the window; Ben who is in love with Amy and ready to take care of the baby learns that his father won't share the wealth with him and he has to make money on his own but also having to realize that Rickey will need to be part of Amy's life whether he likes it or not; Grace who is the girl who practiced abstinence and wanted to wait for the right guy for marriage now contemplating sex; Adrian who always gets what she wants sexually now having to deal with meeting a guy who doesn't want to have sex with her but he likes her for her and not her body; Jack exploring relationships with women of different ethnicities and bad boy Rickey having a life changing moment when his abusive father returns to his life and when his baby is born.
This second season continues where the last season had left off but presenting real problems for these characters. And each actor portrays their character role remarkably well.
For the parents or adults watching this series, you'll recognize the parents of these teenagers. "THE SECRET LIFE OF THE AMERICAN TEENAGER" features quite a bit of talent with 80's teen queen Molly Ringwald playing the character of Anne (Amy's mother); "Life with Bonnie" actor Mark Derwin as Amy's father George; "Melrose Place" actress Josie Bissett playing Grace's mother; "Smallville" and "Dukes of Hazard" actor John Schneider as Grace's father; "The Sopranos" actor Steve Schirripa as Ben's father Leo; "Ghostbusters" Ernie Hudson playing the part of Dr. Ken Fields, Lauren's father.
This second season featured more on Amy's parents, Anne and George and their marital problems and pending divorce and having to start over especially now with their kids so vulnerable. Grace's mother and father still have an important role but mainly dealing with her mentally disabled brother who plays a prominent role in the second season as he is making adult decisions (such as wanting to get married to his new girlfriend).
One major difference from this season and last season was that the first season featured a lot of discussion (and an emphasis on "a lot") about sex and wanting to have sex. The second season actually tones the sexual theme down a bit in terms of all the characters thinking about it (mainly because the first season, a few characters have lost their virginity). This time around, the second season of the series puts more focus on Amy's pregnancy as the countdown begins to her giving birth. But the overall theme of every character is that everyone is pretty much trying to find their own way with their lives and having to deal with real life situations.
If there was one storyline that I found absolutely ridiculous for season two was the character of Adrian Lee who meets her stepbrother and a guy who she thinks is hot and being the sexual driven girl that she is, now wanting to have sex with her stepbrother. We know that Adrian has this need for sex because of the lack of male involvement in her life growing up but this acting out was a bit out there for this character. You would expect that this headstrong girl knew her boundaries and the writers to further that. It was a bit too "daytime soap opera" for me.
All in all, the second season was just as entertaining as the first season and I look forward in seeing how Amy deals with motherhood on Season Three but most of all, if the father Rickey will take responsibility for his son and what role will Ben play as a father. Of course, the others are equally important in the series and have their own storylines but overall, the second season was quite entertaining, fun and I really enjoyed the types of challenges the characters had to face this season.
"THE SECRET LIFE OF THE AMERICAN TEENAGER" is a wonderful, heartwarming, fun and enjoyable series. Definitely one of the the most enjoyable teen dramas with characters and real life situations that people can relate to.
Overall, "THE SECRET LIFE OF THE AMERICAN TEENAGER - SEASON TWO" is definitely worth checking out on DVD!"
Josep Gabarros | CALDES DE MONTBUI, BARCELONA Spain | 06/28/2009
(3 out of 5 stars)
"I have not seen the show yet ( I saw some pictures and a promo a long time ago ), but I just want to say one thing. This dvd does not contain the second season, but contains the second part of the first season, dvd released a few months ago. So buyers are not confused."