Subject: I have found a DVD that I think you would enjoy
|Shirley Temple Storybook Collection The Early Years Vols 1 2|
Actor: Shirley Temple
Genres: Comedy, Kids & Family
Direct from the personal library of Shirley Temple comes this rare exclusive collection of Shirley Temple short films from her early years in movies. These films helped launch an amazing career that made her an internatio... more »
Good Colllection, But could have been excellent.
Taylor C. Downing | Baltimore, MD | 12/13/2006
(3 out of 5 stars)
"I have been a fan of Shirley Temple ever since I was seven years old. Now, I am 24 years old and I have many of her movies on VHS, but my DVD collection is now growing. Have these movies on DVD are great, especially since the Baby Burlesks films she did for Educational Pictures from 1932 are now restored to their completeness and the first volume is great. But I was disapointed with the second volume of her films. While I have seen all of the "Frolics of Youth" on VHS, it would have been nice to have seen these films restored to their complete glory as well. However, all we get is a newly colorized and cleaned up version of "Merrily Yours", while "Pardon my Pups" and "Managed Money" are heavily edited in a complilation titled "Our Girl Shirley" which was released as a short subject in 1942. Lastly, there is another complilation of her 20th Century Fox newsreels, which I have seen on another DVD.
For a little girl who made millions of people during the depression, I have yet to have seen a fitting DVD tribute for this talented woman. If the Our Gang films (which I enjoy as well) can be restored, why can't the films of Shirley Temple be restored?"
"The Early Years (1932) ... Shirley Temple ... Legend Films
J. Lovins | Missouri-USA | 10/10/2007
(5 out of 5 stars)
"Legend Films and Genius Entertainment presents "SHIRLEY TEMPLE STORYBOOK COLLECTION:THE EARLY YEARS VOLS. 1 & 2" (Fully Restored/Dolby Digitally Remastered) --- now in COLOR and Glorious Black and White --- In 2004, Shirley Temple teamed with Legend Films to restore, colorize and release her earliest black and white films, as well as episodes of her 1960 television series, The Shirley Temple Storybook Collection --- a patented coloring and remastering process makes her picture perfect charm more vivd than ever --- no one can resist Shirley's charm in all her heart warming films.
On this Volume One, seven rare short films from 1932, just prior to Shirley Temple's breakaway super stardom, show Temple in a variety of amusing and adorable scenes: Temple dances for a group of pint-sized GIs, vamps as a nightclub entertainer, civilizes the wilds of Africa, pulls weight in Washington, watches the "diaper weight" boxing match, wins a lead role in Hollywood, and is captured by Indians.
Our exclusive film anthology is taken from Shirley Temple's personal collection --- Capturing the first work Shirley ever did in show business, these rare short films, made in 1932, are the ones that launched her to stardom --- Shirley presents them here for the first time - expertly restored and in beautiful color.
1. Kid in Hollywood (1933) --- When the show's temperamental star refuses to go on, Shirley gets her big break.
2. Glad Rags to Riches (1932) --- Shirley, as a nightclub entertainer, tap-dances and sings her first on-screen song.
3. War Babies (1932) --- Shirley provides the entertainment in a café filled with pint-size GI's.
4. Kid in Africa (1933) --- Shirley stars as a charming missionary determined to tame the African jungles.
5. The Kid's Last Fight (1932)--- The diaper weight champion will only fight if Shirley is in the audience.
6. The Pie Covered Wagon (1932)--- Pioneer Shirley is kidnapped from a wagon train by hostile Indians.
7. Pollytix in Washington (1933) --- Shirley is hired by unscrupulous politicians to sway the vote of an idealistic senator.
With the Second Volume, direct from the personal film library of Shirley Temple herself comes this rare exclusive collection of Shirley Temple films from her early years in films --- These movies helped launch an amazing career that made her an international star --- An extraordinary look at Shirley's life is a bonus in front of the camera --- Shirley presents three films here for the first time --- expertly restored and in beautiful color.
1. "OUR GIRL SHIRLEY" (1942) - When Mary Lou (Shirley Temple) stows away in her brother Sonny's car --- she meets an interesting man who makes her brother's dream of attending a military academy possible.
2. "MERRILY YOURS" (1933) - In another family story with her brother Sonny, Mary Lou (Shirley Temple), makes friends with a beautiful girl who moves next door --- Sonny and his kid sister Mary Lou make friends with her --- We find Sonny has to battle the mean rich kid who wants the new girl to himself.
3. "BIGGEST LITTLE STAR" - Here is a rare look at Shirley Temple's life through Movietone News --- Shirley's first premiere meeting with Will Rogers and a visit with Eleanor Roosevelt the First Lady --- Watch Shirley accept her special Academy Award and drive her own little car around the studio lot.
Hats off and thanks to Barry B. Sandrew Ph.D. (Founder, COO & CTO) and his Legend Films Staff --- looking forward to more high quality releases from the vintage era of the '20s, '30s & '40s --- order your copy now from Amazon where there are plenty of copies available on DVD --- if you enjoyed this title, why not check out Legend Films where they are experts in releasing long forgotten films and treasures to the collector.
Total Time: 130 mins on DVD ~ Legend Films/Genius Entertainment. ~ (11/07/2006)"