Subject: I have found a DVD that I think you would enjoy
|Coach - The Second Season|
Actor: Craig T. Nelson
Genres: Comedy, Television
It's time to get back into the game with Season Two of Coach! Team up again with Craig T. Nelson in his Primetime Emmy Award-winning role as Hayden Fox, the curmudgeonly coach of Minnesota State University's Screaming Eagl... more »
Similarly Requested DVDs
Member Movie Reviews
Michel D. (michelann) from WALNUT GROVE, MO
Reviewed on 12/13/2016...
Craig T. Nelson was born to play Coach Hayden Fox! I mean imagine anyone else in that roll? He was also outstanding in many TV series including Parenthood, The District, and Call To Glory. His movie creds include The Killing Fields, The Family Stone, and Blades of Glory. As coach Fox he is both tough and caring as he helps young men learn about sportsmanship and life in general.
Sophomore Season follows the familiar funny formula
Bretzky | Portland, OR | 04/07/2007
(4 out of 5 stars)
"The second season of Coach picked up right where the first one left off. It continues the earlier themes of Hayden's intense dislike of Stuart, his macho misadventures that get him in trouble with Christine, and the likable stupidity of his assistants, Luther & Dauber. Two of my favorite episodes of the series are featured in this season: the one where Hayden loses Luther's bird and the one where the boys destroy Christine's apartment. Here's the full episode listing:
1. "I Don't Know Much About Art, But I Know What Makes Me Mad": Hayden doesn't appreciate art and Christine doesn't appreciate his attitude.
2. "Dauber's Got A Girl": Hayden feuds with the girls' basketball coach, who happens to be Dauber's new girlfriend.
3. "Bring Me the Head of Stuart Rosebrock": Hayden unwittingly breaks up Kelly & Stuart when he reluctantly accepts a dinner invitation and enjoys the floor show supplied by the bickering couple.
4. "If A Coach Falls in the Woods": Hayden runs away to protest Kelly's wedding to Stuart.
5. "If Keith Jackson Calls, I'll Be At My Therapist's":
Game pressure gives Hayden a facial tic right before a national TV telecast.
6. "I'm In The Mood For Luther": Christine fixes Luther up with a friend.
7. "A Man and A Woman (and Two Theater Majors)": Bickering Kelly & Stuart invade Christine and Hayden's intimate weekend.
8. "The Investment": Hayden convinces Luther to invest in the Touchdown Club.
9. "I've Got A Secret": When Hayden secretly recruits a top quarterback, Christine blabs to a sportscaster.
10. "The Curley O'Brien Award": Hayden plans a victory party for an anticipated award.
11. "The Rosebrocks of Wisconsin": When Hayden objects to Kelly spending all her time in Wisconsin with her new family, Kelly forces her father to meet her in-laws.
12. "Coaches Conference": Hayden meets his idols at a conference, but his dreams of swimming with the big fishes drown in a sea of anonymity.
13. "Carnival Knowledge": Coach Watkins gets revenge on Hayden when he mans a booth at the college carnival.
14. "Haven't I Slept With You Somewhere Before?": Hayden believes the new president of Minnesota State is a woman he once had a fling with.
15. "Homewreckers": Hayden seeks Luther's companionship while Christine works on the weekend. They proceed to nearly destroy her apartment.
16. "Professor Doolittle": Hayden enrolls his team in the academic class he's been required to teach, and sets out to make it "the easiest history class in history."
17. "Sunshine on My Shoulder Makes Me Happy: A Show About Bird Ransom": Luther goes on vacation and Hayden loses his prized bird.
18. "Kelly Girl": Kelly volunteers to fill in for Hayden's vacationing secretary.
19. "A Jerk at the Opera": When Hayden refuses to accompany Christine to the opera, she asks her old flame. A predictably jealous Hayden follows them in disguise.
20. "Poodle Springs": Hayden impresses Judy's parents when he saves their pet poodle.
21. "That Shouldn't Happen": Hayden, ecstatic about his team being ranked in the Top 20 for the first time, is shattered when his star player Bo is hurt and put on the injured list.
22. "Magnificent Abscession": When Hayden has to miss a game because of a bad tooth, Luther must coach via phone instructions from him."
R. L. Towler | San Jose, CA USA | 05/25/2007
(2 out of 5 stars)
"When I first saw this a few months ago; I noticed that it was only a 2 disk set. With 20 episodes from season two; I naturally thought that these would be double sided disks. Most people don't like double sided disks because you have to be extra careful that you don't scratch either side.
Well I bought this set last week and have just finished watching the first disk. Guess what folks? They are not double sided disks. They are single sided disks with 10 episodes on each disk. The disks are dual layered; so they can store more information on each disk.
In episode 6; "If a Coach Falls in the Woods" at the start of the show; where Dauber is talking to Kelly and Stuart about renting a room at his house; it has the standard "Coach" opening joke which ends with the studio audience laugh, the familar drum roll and the start of the theme song. Right after Dauber delivers the punchline; there is dead silence, the opening scenes of Hayden Foxes trophy room starts with dead silence and after two or three seconds the music starts again. I believe this is the starting point of the second layer of the disk. But it doesn't stop here.
During some of the scene changes, (usually after a commercial break); when you see an outside view of the cabin, the Coach theme "melody"; that we all remember so well is gone, dead silence instead.
In a few of the episodes, Shelly Fabares, familar opening line of; "Coach is filmed in front of a live studio audience"; is gone.
And last but certainly not least, I have a feeling these episodes are the syndicated versions rather than the original network TV versions. (usually the syndicated shows are edited to allow for more commercial time). This is also in the episode, "If a Coach Falls in the Woods". The scene where Hayden and Luther are stuck in the Ranger Tower, I remember that one of the ways they try to escape winds up catching the tower on fire and a plane comes by and dumps water on the tower. This part of the scene has been edited out. Unfortunately; it has been so long since this was on ABC; I can't remember what may be missing from the other episodes; but I would bet dimes to doughnuts; that they are all edited.
I was very pleased with the low price of this set, but if it means sacrificing the complete episodes of this series, I would rather have this put on 3 or 4 disks instead and bite the bullet; as far as the price is concern.
I really like this show. but if Universal continues doing this kind of thing; I'm bailing out right now.
Correction to R.L.Towler "Blatzman" review
PAR | Milford, NJ United States | 06/15/2007
(4 out of 5 stars)
"The episode where the water tower catches fire is the eposide where Dick Martin "steals" Luther's girl, which is Chritine's neighbor, Lorraine. Luther goes to the tower after he discovers that Dick Martin and Lorraine are planning to fly to Europe. The tower catches fires after Dick throws his cigarette on the ground.
Coach is a great series and I'm glad it's finally on DVD!"