Subject: I have found a DVD that I think you would enjoy
|Thriller - The Complete Season One|
Actors: Robert Powell, Barbara Feldon, Linda Thorson, John Carson, Joanna Dunham
Directors: Bill Hays, John Cooper, John Sichel, Peter Jefferies
Genres: Horror, Science Fiction & Fantasy, Television, Mystery & Suspense
An international cult phenomenon from television genius Brian Clemens (The Avengers, Danger Man), now on DVD for the first time, all ten spine-tingling movies from the first season of THRILLER available for your viewing te... more »
Similarly Requested DVDs
Not the Karloff series
someone | Indiana USA | 08/30/2005
(5 out of 5 stars)
"I have not seen this DVD set, but I thought I would inform everyone since the listing details are minimal, that this is the English television series Thriller that came out in the early 70's, and not the Karloff Thriller that came out in the early 60's."
3.5 Stars. Leave it to the British with their evil, superna
jammer | Laramie, Wyoming United States | 10/30/2006
(4 out of 5 stars)
"Seeing so many 5-star ratings, this reviewer is reminded of the Los Angeles area movie critic some years back on TV who, with a 10-star-maximum rating system, rated so many average movies highly that he had no room left when something better came along, hence resorting to superlatives like "10-plus stars" or even "11 stars." In a 5-star-maximum rating context, 3.5 stars seem reasonable for this package: These episodes have mostly pretty good plots with excellent acting throughout, though in this much screen-time one must expect an occasional plot-hole.
These ten 61-to-67 minute episodes (totaling about 655 minutes, plus 2-3 minutes of Clemons' introduction for each episode) are each divided into three 20+ minute parts (DVD chapters) separated by breaks (e.g. "End of Part 1" ... "Part 2"...):
1. Lady Killer - 3 stars; A marriage set-up and murder-for-money scam, with a Hitchcock-ian twist.
2. Possession - 3 stars; Creepy old mansion; bodies in the basement; psychotic finger-snapping, whistling murderer; and a medium with supernatural powers.
3. Someone at the Top of the Stairs - 3 stars; An apartment "too good to be true;" two "marvelous" and "pretty, pretty girls"; steepled index fingers; and supernatural, satanic evil.
4. An Echo of Theresa - 2.5 stars; Mind-altering dual-personality deja-vu ghosts are triggered by the London Times and 20-year-old espionage activities. The ending is marred by Dinsdale Landen's (as Mathew "Earp") over-the-top melodramatics, ending an interesting episode with a farce. Re-edited into 1973 British TV movie "Anatomy of Terror." Minor sound glitches occur at 33 minutes.
5. The Colour of Blood - 3 stars; Convoluted plot with a red carnation killer on the loose, mistaken identities, trains, depots, befuddled police, missing 40,000 pounds, and two isolated mansions.
6. Murder in Mind - 3.5 stars - A murder already done, or still coming up? That the lady is a cowering, weeping wimp detracts!
7. A Place to Die - 3.5 stars - Dr. Nelson and wife Tessa (a very sweet Alexandra Hay) take over apparently idyllic country community medical practice. But all is not as seems with lots of limping about on bandaged feet and canes; the mysterious death of predecessor Dr. Sharp; mysterious disappearances of young blonde girls; strange gifts of fetishes, flower and herb bouquets; garlic cloves; crucifix; effigy doll; talk of a full moon coinciding with "Lady Day;" and "the expected one."
8. File It under Fear - 3.5 stars - Near classic murder mystery. Scene: the public library; there's Liz Morris, the 29-year-old prudish librarian who lives at home with her mother; George Bailey, the assistant librarian who feels denigrated and humiliated by women; Mr. Stubbs, the library's "lounge lizard;" Airman Sgt. Jerry Masters who checks-out murder mysteries and moves mysteriously about; and Steve, the lodger staying with Liz and her mother. Then there are the serial murders of fair young girls over the past 10 months "down by the canal" and starting shortly after Steve got estranged from his wife.
9. The Eyes Have It - 1.5 stars. Gunmen stage their assassination lookout at a home for blind students along the parade route. After living there who knows how long, the students only just discover the dumb waiter by an errant breeze? (Come on now!). Then there's the ditzy, naive girl sent out for rescue. It's rabbits-out-of the-hat time on this one. Guess every such series has to have one clunker.
10. Spell of Evil - 3.0 stars; Supernatural succubus witchcraft, with a few motive plot holes but a memorable performance from Diane Cilento.
BTW, this reviewer did not see "Bob Hoskins, Patrick Magee, Helen Mirren, Hayley Mills and Stephen Rea" in any of these episodes; maybe in Season 2? The DVDs are nicely packaged in four thin-style keep-cases, contained in one slip-case. TV picture is fine, sound occasionally muffled. Episode average: 2.95 stars. Add .55 stars for the (typically British) acting excellence and superior packaging.
Best description for Thriller created by Brian Clemens
Téléfan | 07/23/2006
(5 out of 5 stars)
"Thriller is a unique and ultimate collection of heart stopping,
pulse-pounding,spine-chilling tv series and episodes ever made
for tv. Each episode of Thriller is razor-sharp stories full of
suspense,some are supernatural.In Thriller you will find the
macabre,the menacing and nail-biting tension and more.
Each episodes has top international stars and guest stars
making of Thriller one of the best tv series produced in the
U.K. The creator of the serie Brian Clemens has won the Edgar
Allan Poe Award for the best television thriller. Do not
miss the chance to have great viewing.Lovers of mystery,
suspense and horror will enjoy Thriller a quality anthology
series which will bring exciting hours of viewing."
Thriller/ABC Wide World of Mystery!(This release is season o
Armchair Pundit | Durham City, England. | 09/04/2007
(3 out of 5 stars)
"Why do TV companies do this!, they release one season, you buy it then months later they release the complete box set. Now the only option left open to me if I wish to purchase all the stories (which I do) is to buy the box set.
OK rant over, but I'm still annoyed.
The Avengers is Brian Clemens most famous work, but some of his best stories are to be found in this Anthological show, he created.
Talking about The Avengers Linda Thorson(Tara King) has a part in the first story; "Lady Killer".
Some stories are almost straight forward thrillers, some have a supernatural theme, but ALL have a twist in the tale.
Teenagers might not be able to see past the dated production values, and small children might be frightened by the terrifying 70's fashions, but they are many unsettling moments to be enjoyed by the rest of us.
(Did I really wear stuff like that!)
So why only three stars?, well, for me the later seasons had better stories, it's that simple.
Highly acclaimed at the time by critics and viewers,with many famous (at that time) US guest stars;(to help the show sell in the US). I've often wondered why Mr Clemens needed big US names, as his other show The Avengers never did, and was quite popular in the US?
Not that I mind, I'm only too happy to see beauties like Donna Mills and Lynda Day George anytime.
In case anyone may be interested, the box-set has been out on region 2 for a while, so I've included the later season story titles and the DVD extras on the Box-set, as well.
This show was shot on videotape. (Not Filmed as was The Avengers.)
1. Lady Killer
3. Someone At The Top Of The Stairs
4. An Echo Of Theresa
5. The Colour Of Blood
6. Murder In Mind
7. A Place To Die
8. File It Under Fear
9. The Eyes Have It
10. Spell Of Evil
These are the only stories on this release
For anyone interested in the other season stories and extras on the box-set only,
please see below.
1. Only A Scream Away
2. Once The Killing Starts
3. Kiss Me And Die
4. One Deadly Owner
5. Ring Once For Death
6. K Is For Killing
7. Sign It Death
1. A Coffin For The Bride
2. I'm the Girl He Wants To Kill
3. Death To Sister Mary
4. In the Steps Of A Dead Man
5. Come Out, Come Out, Wherever You Are
6. The Next Scream You Hear
2. Nurse Will Make It Better
3. Night Is The Time For Killing
4. Killer With Two Faces
5. A Killer In Every Corner
6. Where The Action Is
1. If It's A Man; Hang Up
2. The Double Kill
3. Won't Write Home, Mum; I'm Dead!
4. The Crazy Kill
5. Good Salary, Prospects, Free Coffin
6. The Next Voice You See
7. Murder Motel
2. The Next Victim
3. Nightmare For A Nightingale
4. Dial a Deadly Number
5. Kill Two Birds
6. A Midsummer Nightmare
7. Death In Deep Water
(DVD EXTRAS:~ ON BOX-SET ONLY)
15 disc set.
'Who Killed Lamb' thriller special from 1974 starring Stanley Baker
Extended version of 'Nurse Will Make It Better'
Original set designs
(Box-set available from amazon.co.uk)
The show ran from 1973-1976.